Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kieran Sadlier makes vow in club's League One play-off pursuit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kieran Sadlier makes vow in club's League One play-off pursuit 13506970

Kieran Sadlier hopes Wanderers will find strength in numbers as they push towards the play-off places.

The former Rotherham United playmaker stepped off the bench to score a crucial opening goal against Lincoln City in midweek, with fellow replacements Amadou Bakayoko and Kyle Dempsey combining for the third goal of the night.

Competition for a starting spot against MK Dons on Saturday is fierce but Sadlier reckons a top six spot will only be achievable if every minute on the pitch is maximised – substitute or not.

Asked whether his goal will help push his claim for a start against the high-flying Dons, he told The Bolton News: “I have only been here a month, to be fair, and I’m still trying to find my feet. But I feel really settled,” he said.

“The goal will help – but it isn’t about me. I am coming to a big club, a team that is winning games, and a group of talented players. I have to work hard and just because I came in during January doesn’t mean I slot straight in.

“I’m getting decent game time and I think I am making an impact. But the team is all up to the manager.

“I will play my part and if we are going to get into the play-offs then it will be about the squad.

“There are lads who have been on the bench like Baka (Amadou Bakayoko), who has come on to score a few times now.

“You can switch and change things to win games and for us as players it is just about us working hard.”

Sadlier slotted into the side as a replacement wing-back after Declan John’s half-time withdraw against Lincoln and his only start since arriving at the club was on a cabbage patch pitch at Burton Albion.

“I have played on worse during my time in Ireland, you’d be surprised,” he laughed.

“I thought I did OK, and I won’t make any excuses. We lost but we put the result behind us really quickly with a couple of wins. Now we are looking forward to Saturday.”

Weekend opponents MK have also had issues with their playing surface – and after two games on the lush green turf at the UniBol, Sadlier accepts the team may have to change tack slightly in their next outing.

“Genuinely, I think the pitch at Bolton is the best I have played on at this time of the year,” he said.

“When we are at home you know you can play football. The pitch is slick, it moves well, and the stadium in general is a great place to be with all the fans we get.

“It is a big help for the players but I think we’re showing that we can mix up the styles a bit as well. Jonno (George Johnston) scored from a set piece tonight and it is good to see because we have concentrated on that a bit recently.

“We just need momentum now, keep picking up points.”

After struggling to score goals from set pieces for much of the season, Bolton have shown a big improvement over the last month, leading to a string of goals.

“Aaron (Morley) has put some great balls in, Dec (Declan John) as well,” Sadlier said, complimenting the deliveries. “We are attacking the ball now and have players who are strong in the air. There is belief there now.

“You always want to mix your game up because maybe those one or two goals you nick from set pieces can be the difference, get you important points.

“Yes, we play some great football but you have to be able to do both sides of it sometimes.

“We worked on them a lot at Rotherham and I think the team was one of the best in the league for that.

“If you work at things enough it can come off. We have worked hard on them, so it is nice to see it come off.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum