Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Rico loves it here' - Wanderers boss Ian Evatt on Santos contract talks

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Rico loves it here' - Wanderers boss Ian Evatt on Santos contract talks 13727693

Ian Evatt admits Wanderers have some “important business” to attend to heading into the summer.

The Whites wrap up their League One campaign against Fleetwood this afternoon, but Evatt is already planning for what lies ahead.

One obvious matter is the contract status of Ricardo Santos, with the defender entering the final 12 months of his current deal.

Santos had been a crucial figure for Wanderers at the heart of defence before his season was cut short by a hamstring injury suffered against Portsmouth.

The 26-year-old has gone from strength to strength since he was given the captain’s armband back in October following Antoni Sarcevic’s departure.

Several Championship clubs are understood to have taken interest in the Bolton skipper in recent months.

But Evatt insists Santos is happy at the UniBol and hopes a deal can be worked out to keep the defender at the club past his current deal.

"I do think there is important business within our group at the moment,” he said.

“For instance Rico – we want to sort that situation out. There is lots of work to be done but we are looking forward to it.

“I think we are in a really good place. Rico loves it here, there is no doubt about that, and we love him being here.

“(There are) talks ongoing but hopefully positive."

While Evatt’s immediate focus is on this afternoon’s clash with Fleetwood, the Bolton chief has already made it clear he has big expectations for next season as the Whites aim to get out of League One.

He wants his players to “embrace” the challenge and insists there are lots of positive signs from the past few months.

Evatt added: “I think we are a fantastic football club with a rich history and you are expected to win, it is just the way it is.

“We are excited. We feel we have got a competitive squad, one that is learning and improving all the time.

“And we have another transfer window before the start of next season, so there are lots of things to look forward to.

“There are lots of things to look at from this season, first half and second half. The second half has been really, really positive.

“We are happy with our potential points total of 73 points for a newly promoted team - we have to remember that is very good.

“I think six out of the last seven seasons, it would have been good enough to get into the play-offs. Unfortunately, it has not been our season but very much looking forward to next year.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum