Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Opposition Player You Ever Saw At Burnden/Reebok

+2
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Although we've not exactly seen many superstars in recent years, there's no doubt in the last few decades there have been some real greats on the Burnden/Reebok pitch. 

But which visiting player has impressed you most? Forget the hype and reputations, over the course of 90 minutes that you witnessed with your own eyes, which player has left you in awe?

Two players come to mind for me. First one is David Ginola. I can't remember the year, it was probably the first time we got promoted to the Premier League, but I remember sitting on the fence at the front of the Burnden Terrace and witnessing pure pace, strength and skill. I'd never seen it with my own eyes before.

But the player who left the biggest mark on me was Duncan Ferguson. It was probably the same season as Ginola, I remember him winning absolutely everything in the air and totally dominating our centre backs. Great player on his day.

I've seen Ronaldo, Shearer, Earnshaw, Keane and many other greats - but none left a bigger impression than Duncan Ferguson.

What about you?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was Southampton at home one night, and being very surprised at Peter Crouch's ability on the floor. He was surprisingly good for such a tall man.
I remember manure beating us 4-0 at home, and for all the stars on show, it was Michael Carrick that destroyed us.
We've been lucky over the years with so many stars on show, so it's difficult, but those two stick in what's left of my mind.
Tony Currie, from the Burnden period was also a standout memory.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:There was Southampton at home one night, and being very surprised at Peter Crouch's ability on the floor. He was surprisingly good for such a tall man.
I remember manure beating us 4-0 at home, and for all the stars on show, it was Michael Carrick that destroyed us.
We've been lucky over the years with so many stars on show, so it's difficult, but those two stick in what's left of my mind.
Tony Currie, from the Burnden period was also a standout memory.

I studied at Sheffield Uni so saw Tony Currie often, a very special talent. He could do everything you'd ever want from a midfielder....the  complete package.

But indelible impressions at Burnden were left on me by some of our own stars like Freddie Hill and Eddie Hopkinson, both worth the admission money on their own.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I guess I could answer the question two different ways, the way in which I presume is meant - ie which player was outstanding on the day - but the other way could be seeing some of the 'greats' such as the likes of George Best, Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh, etc, who were not at the best on the day I saw them - mostly because in their prime years we we spent most of the time in the divisions below them!

I guess if I put the two together of a fashion, the best player I saw one of his good days and whilst at his peak was probably Super Mac, Newcastle's Malcolm McDonald against us in the FA Cup back in 1976.

Great match, great atmosphere and great goals!

Bit scary to think that it was getting on for fifty years ago now!

Highlights here -

Welcome back btw.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

McDonald was also one of the quickest players I've seen. That Newcastle tie was a corker.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw Ruud Gullitt play at Burnden when he was at Chelsea. He had that quality all truly great players have - he looked like he had all the time in the world when he had the ball and no one could get near him.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Although we've not exactly seen many superstars in recent years, there's no doubt in the last few decades there have been some real greats on the Burnden/Reebok pitch. 

But which visiting player has impressed you most? Forget the hype and reputations, over the course of 90 minutes that you witnessed with your own eyes, which player has left you in awe?

Two players come to mind for me. First one is David Ginola. I can't remember the year, it was probably the first time we got promoted to the Premier League, but I remember sitting on the fence at the front of the Burnden Terrace and witnessing pure pace, strength and skill. I'd never seen it with my own eyes before.

But the player who left the biggest mark on me was Duncan Ferguson. It was probably the same season as Ginola, I remember him winning absolutely everything in the air and totally dominating our centre backs. Great player on his day.

I've seen Ronaldo, Shearer, Earnshaw, Keane and many other greats - but none left a bigger impression than Duncan Ferguson.

What about you?
I remember the Ginola game, him and Sir Les ripped us a new one, but Ginola was outstanding that day.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I remember the Ginola game

Was it you that tried to pull me off the fence so you could steal my place?

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I went to all 3 of the Newcatle ties great FA cup matches all of them, Remember seeing Jimmy Greaves he didn't dissapoint and Best tackling Rodney Marsh playing for Fulham. Best was the most naturaly gifted player i ever saw.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum