Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New defender Toal still not ready?

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New defender Toal still not ready?  Empty New defender Toal still not ready? Mon Jul 18 2022, 11:14

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Bolton Nuts asked around about the departure of their young captain Eion Toal. And this is what the Derry fans wanted to let us know.

It seems Toal is a player who isn't afraid, he really gets stuck in but his distribution isn't too clever, and according to some, he would struggle in a back four. Let's dive right in shall we? 

Michael Doherty said Toal is a "solid raw defender, good at running the ball out of defence into opposition half, solid at crosses into box, and fairly athletic for a centre back. Tons of room to grow and hope he gets it with Bolton. Sad to see him go but you could never stand in a young fellas way in progressing."

Another Derry City follower told us "He will be hugely missed - even at 23 years old, comes with a wealth of experience and a fantastic player. I know he will be loved at Bolton" - Ryan

"He's very very good only 23 as well bags of potential you've got yourself a fantastic player" - OzanDCFC

Toal seems to have been linked with a few big names too according to Pat. "Great young player. Tidy/reliable. I’m glad he’s getting a chance in England. Previously linked with Ipswich, Sunderland and Hearts. - Pat Comey

"You are getting a real gem" - Pk_Ftbl

We asked Redpillirish to give us the lowdown in a bit more detail, and whilst he is a big Toal fan, he doesn't rate his passing.

"If Toal had a 2 or 3 Year contract, I'd value him around 250,000. 
He very rarely makes a mistake that leads to a chance but he is not a good passer, even for Derry City standards he is not seen as a ball player and the other other centre half that play alongside him are better at distributing. I would be pleasantly surprised if he made it to the Premier league. Best attribute... Pace, reading of the game, and leadership, Eoin is brilliant in all three of those things."  

"I would say to you Bolton fans that if you play a back 4, Eoin will definitely struggle. He is bullied by the leagues physical strikers at times but his reading of the game makes up for it"

Asked if Toal suits a back three better, the reply was, "I would say so, we tried a back 4 loads of times but kept leaking goals. We couldn't get out of our own half, and I'd partly point that to Eoins lack of ability in distributing."
-Redpilledirish

Toal's a perfect example of a modern centre back, quick , good on the ball but he isn’t afraid to stick his head in and his defensive awareness to get rid when needed is brilliant. You have got a gem for sure. 
It’s a huge loss but it’s the way football goes , we recruit and try bring someone to replace him.

He rarely ever makes mistakes if I'm honest , he is really reliable to amend a mistake because of his awareness and speed - Chris Mcglaughlin

John-Paul had this to say; "Eoin will be a big loss for us. It will be hard for us to find a replacement for him over the course of the next 2 weeks before our transfer window closes.

He's a bit of everything when it comes to being a defender, a bit of an old fashioned defender but very modern too. It's a pity he wasn't under contract for a bit longer so we could negotiate a bigger fee for him.

It's part and parcel of our league, we're used to it by now. I'm just glad we're losing him to England & not Shamrock Rovers or Dundalk. 

The only reference to fee I saw was in The Bolton News with it being referred to as a nominal fee with a bonus heavy deal.

Old fashioned in terms of that he's not afraid to put his head in where it hurts or shy out of a tackle. Also attacks the ball like his life depended on it, the only criticism I would give him is that for his dominance in the air he didn't score more goals. 

He was signed in the summer of 2017 as a 17yr old from his hometown club Armagh City & became our youngest ever captain at 21yrs old in March 2021 under former manager Declan Devine.
- John-Paul Fahy

And last but not least we had some comments from Conor Ramsey who said; Eoin super solid in the air, and can play. Great young lad maturing well. Should be great player for you.

Suppose the sky's the limit. Very good 1 v 1 defending. Very quick also and very fit. Never makes mistakes.

He’s nowhere near the finished article. Will be watching with interest surprised its taking so long to him to be going to England. The sky is the limit with Eoin. Over the next 3 to 4 years he will be an animal.

With thanks to all the Derry supporters who took the time to give us the juicy details on Eoin Toal. We wish them all the best in the league this season. 

In conclusion, it seems Toal is regarded as extremely fit, very fast, rarely makes mistakes at the back and isn't afraid to stick his head in when it matters. It seems we really do have "a real gem".

That's all folks. We are hoping for an announcement as soon as possible as our last friendly match is fast approaching this weekend against Huddersfield and it would be great to see him in action before the season gets underway. 

Last edited by Biggie on Sun Jul 31 2022, 13:49; edited 3 times in total

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If he can't pass well then he'll struggle getting into our team as Evatt expects the CB's to be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote: Evatt expects the CB's to be comfortable with the ball at their feet.
In theory, but in practice none of them are that comfortable playing out from the back as they're simply not good enough to do it safely every time - which as I've said many times - has led to daft goals being conceded as with e.g. Santos on Saturday.
Get Toal in, f*** off the farting about at the back nonsense, and play simple balls to midfield - or hoof it if under pressure.
If we keep it simple at the back we'll be fine.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
In theory, but in practice none of them are that comfortable playing out from the back as they're simply not good enough to do it safely every time - which as I've said many times - has led to daft goals being conceded as with e.g. Santos on Saturday.
Get Toal in, f*** off the farting about at the back nonsense, and play simple balls to midfield - or hoof it if under pressure.
If we keep it simple at the back we'll be fine.
I agree Lusty but how many times last season did we see us just passing it across the defence with no real attempt to get it forward? 

Evatt has said in the past they do it to tire out teams but as you said they aren't good enough to play it out from the back consistently.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

TOAL INJURY:

Bolton Wanderers have had a bid accepted for Derry City defender Eoin Toal and a medical is expected to be conducted imminently. However one source from Derry told Bolton Nuts that Toal has an ongoing ankle problem which could prove to be a thorn in Bolton's plans to shore up their defence before the season starts.

Toal missed several games due to an ankle injury, only returning as a substitute for the Derry side just as Bolton's interest in him seemed to be hotting up. Our source in Derry says that he was rushed back into action too soon.
Indeed Toal started the next two games but had to be subbed off in the second when his ankle problem flared up yet again. Toal himself was keen to play the two legs of Derry's European matches but speculation is also that Derry allowed him to play in a bid to secure a better fee, after initially turning down an offer from the Wanderers.

It looks as though Toal is still heading to Bolton and will sign if passed fit, but nobody yet knows if he will be fit to start against Huddersfield this week, or even Ipswich for the opening day of the season. 

The Derry City boss admitted that centre-back "Eoin Toal isn’t likely to feature after only getting one half training session under his belt for the first time in a number of weeks" - before Derry's last but one league match.

The last thing Bolton need is another key player out for long periods, especially after last season, losing the services of Jones, John, Isgrove, Bakayoko, Santos, Sarcevic, Lee, Sheehan, Kachunga and others for varying periods of time.
Let's hope Toal gets time to recover and is fully fit before we throw him in.

- SOURCE BOLTON NUTS

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Evatt confirms Eoin Toal injury ahead of season start.

Bolton bagged a draw against ex Prem boys Huddersfield at the Unibol earlier today. Asked about the omission of Eoin Toal from the entire squad, Evatt confirmed that the Northern Irish defender is currently out with the ongoing injury we previously reported on (above).

The Bolton boss does hope that Toal is fighting fit ready for the start of the season.

WIN A BOLTON SHIRT - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] join our free predictor game!

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Anyone know why Toal didn't even make the bench?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Anyone know why Toal didn't even make the bench?
I would imagine that it's because he's six weeks behind the rest of the team's preseason preparations and tactical planning.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

You think? 
Didn't stop us in January with new players.
Maybe still injured?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:You think? 
Didn't stop us in January with new players.
Maybe still injured?
Perhaps, but I don't think Evatt is in any hurry to play him yet - it's a different situation from January when we were desperate to turn our fortunes around and all the signings had played in the English leagues before.
Apart from the slack marking for the goal, the back three/five played well on Saturday - and anyway it's the midfielders who should have been picking up the run - so why not give him time to get fully fit and adjust to the system and his team mates?
It's a long season.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I thought Johnston did OK most of last season and could get better yet.
Stiff competition at the back for Bolton now.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

“We need to be really cautious with Eoin, he’s obviously had this ankle issue, but also the way we train... and his body isn’t used to it, so we have to almost build up that robustness, he’s not ready to be involved yet."

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Eoin Toal - future club captain or waste of a tenner? Discuss.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

The answer is.

We don't know.

He may be brilliant. Let's hope 👍👍

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum