Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you be a referee?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Would you be a referee? Empty Would you be a referee? Mon Sep 05 2022, 16:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Referee's do get a lot of stick and quite often its merited. Standards seem to have fallen to me and after reading what the Referee's Association head said it does make sense

I used to work in grassroots football for the club my Son played for and i've seen it myself, the abuse aimed at refs from coaches and parents is shocking. I've even reffed a few games myself and it was non stop moaning and it put me off volunteering to do more games.

The worst case i came across was a young lad of about 14 reffing an under 8's game and getting loads of abuse from the opposition coach who had to be pulled to one side by our coaches and told to pack it in. Not sure that lad ever reffed again and who could blame him?

What do we do to improve the standard? Do you get ex pro's taking it up when they finish their career? That may help in the pro game but what happens at grassroots level?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62792367

2Would you be a referee? Empty Re: Would you be a referee? Mon Sep 05 2022, 16:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not me. The verbal abuse is one thing, but refs are now being physically attacked, by both players and spectators.
They don't do themselves many favours at the top level though. With VAR to assist them, they're still getting it wrong, as we saw over the weekend.

Then again, there's HIM. But let's not go there. Let's stay calm. I am calm. Serene. I'm in the zone.
Would you be a referee? 0x0

3Would you be a referee? Empty Re: Would you be a referee? Mon Sep 05 2022, 17:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I once banned a parent of one of the kids from the touchline and he happened to be the shirt sponsor of one of the teams. All the other parents on both sides applauded but the dickhead was so miffed he took it out on the kids and withdrew his sponsorship. Some people eh?

4Would you be a referee? Empty Re: Would you be a referee? Mon Sep 05 2022, 17:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I once banned a parent of one of the kids from the touchline and he happened to be the shirt sponsor of one of the teams. All the other parents on both sides applauded but the dickhead was so miffed he took it out on the kids and withdrew his sponsorship. Some people eh?
It wasn't.......was it? Shocked

5Would you be a referee? Empty Re: Would you be a referee? Tue Sep 06 2022, 02:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
It wasn't.......was it? Shocked
Yes.

Ken Anderson.

6Would you be a referee? Empty Re: Would you be a referee? Thu Sep 08 2022, 21:16

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I was a referee.

Standards in the kids game are better than ever at the moment. Parents are simply not allowed to moan at the ref. Things aren't perfect but almost everybody abides by it now.

My best moments as a referee were the match I did at the then Reebok, just because it was at the Reebok and my personal highlight was running the line and flagging offside against a man utd goal. I got an awful lot of stick and abuse from the bench but the TV cameras proved me right. But you do feel the pressure at times.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum