Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict on Wanderers' 3-1 defeat to Oxford

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict on Wanderers' 3-1 defeat to Oxford 16100531

Ian Evatt admits Wanderers have not been good enough in October – but vowed to “work harder” to improve things in the future.

A home defeat against Oxford United capped a topsy-turvy month in which they have won three, lost three and drawn one of seven league games.

Unlike the previous two games at Accrington and Burton, there would be no stirring comeback against the U’s. And Evatt said his team had got what they deserved from a subdued performance.

“I learned through the whole month that we can be loads better than we have been – in fact we haven’t been our fluid selves for a few games, if we are honest,” he said.

“We have won the last two games based off character and energy and not quality. And today, three times too many.

“We looked devoid of energy. Oxford are better team than they have been showing and they have been in every game, they have some really good players. We started OK but then looked tired and lethargic, especially against the most energetic team in the division, in my opinion, and that is why we changed the midfield because we knew it would be pivotal and that we needed legs in there.

“We chose three players who hadn’t started on Tuesday but we weren’t good on the ball, we weren’t good on first or second contacts, and we lost the key moments.

“We gave away three incredibly poor goals. We have been doing OK defensively but I still think the goals we gave away have been really poor. I don’t see us scoring goals and being given goals like we give to the opposition. We have to work extremely hard for them.”

Wanderers remain sixth and have a three-point cushion on Derby County in the place below them.

They do not have a midweek game – something Evatt feels could be important as they build towards the FA Cup first round clash with Barnsley.

“We are disappointed,” he said. “But we are in the top six. It isn’t doom and gloom and there are 30 games left by my book. We are going win them, lose them, but it is about the process and we haven’t shown our true colours this month. We need to do more work, it is as simple as that.

“We will look at things. We have a break from the league games and can take a look at the cup match on Saturday but I don’t think there is a great deal wrong. I still think we can be loads better.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes - we are in the top six but not for long having surrendered the initiative.
Evatt is right inasmuch that we were simply not good enough - poor performances all round and far too many kamikaze passes that turned the ball over in key positions - and just about every player did it at some point or other.
We could change the line up and change the system till the cows come home but if we give the ball away so cheaply and defend so badly it's irrelevant. Today's performance was amateurish and lacking in quality and character - and ultimately that's down to Evatt.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum