Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Evatt gives his verdict on Wanderers' 1-1 draw at Wednesday

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Evatt gives his verdict on Wanderers' 1-1 draw at Wednesday 16572081

Ian Evatt was left disappointed that his gutsy Wanderers did not end Sheffield Wednesday’s long unbeaten run.

After falling behind early on to Lee Gregory’s close-range effort, Victor Adeboyejo’s equaliser just before half time turned the tables completely.

Wanderers felt they had a good claim for a penalty when Dion Charles appeared to be pushed over by Aiden Flint after getting the wrong side of the defender and racing on to Eoin Toal’s pass.

And Evatt claimed that Flint held up his hands after the final whistle and admitted referee Sam Purkiss got it wrong.

“It was a penalty,” Evatt said. “It can’t be anything else and I keep harping on about the big moments in these games and that is one that we can’t get wrong.

“I have a lot of respect for their team and their manager. They are good sports and good people.

“I have known Flinty and Baz (Barry Bannan) a long time, and Flinty said it was a penalty, couldn’t be anything else.

“It is really, really disappointing we didn’t get it because I thought we deserved it.”

Wanderers had only managed to win one of seven games against the current top six – that against Barnsley at the turn of the year – but came mighty close to putting a dent in Wednesday’s title chase.

Evatt felt it was their best performance away from the University of Bolton Stadium this season.

“That looked like my team, the team we have coached,” he said.

“For large periods we had the ball, controlled the ball, caused them problems.

“They are always going to have shots and opportunities because that is the way they play, set plays, long throws, second balls. You know you will have to fight, scrap and defend your box really well. Other than the first 10 minutes I think we did that really well.

“We quietened down the crowd by managing the ball, which was really important, and I thought we looked a really good team.

“There is a lot to work on but, for me, we came away a bit from dominating the ball recently, but certainly away from home that is the best we have played all season.”

With a Wembley date against Plymouth Argyle next up, Wanderers timed their improvement well. While it is still true that they have not won in their last four league games, the performance against Wednesday was a step in the right direction.

“This group has been disappointed with the last couple of weeks,” Evatt said. “They know they can do more and be better.

“At times I think we have looked a bit fearful, nervous, but there wasn’t anything like that tonight.

“It was tough, it was brave, and if you asked their players I think they will say they are really tired. There is a lot of cramp going on because we really tested them.

“Towards the end it looked like us who were going to go on and win the game.

“That is what my teams have done – weakened teams, worn them down and scored late.

“It looked that way again. Everyone was outstanding and the way we managed the ball at the back was outstanding.

“Josh Sheehan in the deeper role really dictated the speed of the game and helped us build everything we’d spoken about, exploiting the space by the sides of the centre-backs, and that is where the penalty should have come from. We were very unlucky not to win.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum