Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Bolton 1-1 Barnsley

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MATCH REACTION: Bolton 1-1 Barnsley Empty MATCH REACTION: Bolton 1-1 Barnsley Sun May 14 2023, 09:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Bolton 1-1 Barnsley 16777211

Ian Evatt admits Wanderers will need to up their game in the second leg against Barnsley – but still feels upbeat about a “cup final” at Oakwell on Friday.

Dion Charles grabbed a well-timed equaliser four minutes after Nicky Cadden had blasted the visitors into the lead at the UniBol.

Bolton had not been at their best but made enough in the latter stages to give their manager optimism about winning the game over two ties.

“I feel really positive,” he said. “I know that we can play a lot better than we did today and I think maybe last night’s result had a little bit of an impact on us. I think we played in our shells a little, especially in the first half.

“You always feel like you are under pressure against Barnsley because of the amount of set plays they have, the long throws into your box, the territorial advantage, and it is hard to defend against. We stood up to it in the majority, apart from the one from the edge of the box in the second half.

“When that goal went in I thought the shackles came off a little bit, we sparked into life and had more possession and control.

“We got back into the game quickly and then Dan (Nlundulu) had the big chance. But, as I said, with the territory and set plays you always feel you are up against it.

“They will feel like they are in a really strong position but I think we are in a really strong position. I think the game will be slightly different and there is more onus on them being the home team, more pressure, and we are dangerous when the spaces become a little bigger.

“It is almost a 50-50 game now, almost a cup final, and we are looking forward to Friday.”

Asked how Wanderers needed to improve, Evatt added: “I just think we need to be braver than we were in the first half.

“Barnsley are a really organised team and good out of possession. The way they steal and nick yards on a negative or neutral pass is first class and they leave space in behind them, and we had looked at that. The players almost took me too literally first half and we were playing too long, too often, rather than pick our way through.

“Second half we started to do that more, especially after the goal.

“We have won some big away games this season and we haven’t been anywhere near our best but still got a result.”

Peterborough’s emphatic 4-0 victory against Sheffield Wednesday on Friday night – which effectively books their place at Wembley – had given both sides a timely warning.

Evatt felt his players had not forced the issue in possession as much as they could have done in the early stages of the game, “There were lots of nerves, the onus was on us, huge expectation, massive crowd. And maybe the result last night affected everyone’s mindset because nobody wanted to lose it in the first leg,” he said.

“We were a bit timid and shy first half but better in the second half. I think away from home, where there is less pressure and more onus on them to break, that could arguably suit us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum