Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ex-Chelsea and Bolton man Jacob Mellis on becoming homeless

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ex-Chelsea and Bolton man Jacob Mellis on becoming homeless 16856479

Jacob Mellis has opened up about his problems with alcohol and ending up homeless after a 14-year career in the game.

Mellis, who was once an exciting prospect at Chelsea, made six appearances during a brief stint with the Whites in the 2019/20 campaign.

He was forced into retirement 18 months ago when a misdiagnosed knee injury was picked up by the medical staff at Southend.

The 32-year-old has now found himself without a permanent address, having to rely on friends and family offering couches to crash on.

“I spend each day just thinking about where to go really,” he told The Daily Mail. “I have family but I don’t really want to rely on them.

“I want to try to do stuff for myself. It’s been difficult. I try not to think about it too much. I just try and get on with it.

“They just want the best for me. They try to help me as much as they can. Obviously, they’ve got their own lives. They get me hotels, or I can stay at their house sometimes.

“From day to day nothing is settled. You think it can never happen to you. I didn’t plan on retiring. It’s difficult.”

Mellis admits he wasted his potential, spending much of his time at Stamford Bridge partying and drinking.

“Throughout my career it’s been a thing that’s caused me problems,” he added. “When you’re drinking, you’re not in control of what you’re doing.

Ex-Chelsea and Bolton man Jacob Mellis on becoming homeless 16856480

“It affects training, managers wouldn’t be happy. I remember I turned up one time to training drunk, I would’ve been 19. Steve Holland (assistant coach) sent me in. There’s been a few occasions where it has affected me.

“David Luiz didn’t speak too much English but when we’d be warming up he’d say, ‘Hey, have you been drinking?’, He would say stop.

“Dermot Drummy (Academy manager) gave me a mentor, Ashley Cole, to stop me from going out and to talk to me. So people did try, I can’t lie.

“I was cocky back then, arrogant. I felt like I should be playing. I feel like it is a good thing if it’s channelled in the right way, but I don’t think I channelled it in the right way.

“If I wasn’t picked or was feeling frustrated, I would just go out drinking. You’re not messing Chelsea up, you’re messing yourself up.”

The 32-year-old has reached out to the Professional Footballers’ Association and is set to enter the Sporting Chance clinic to combat his alcohol issues.

Chelsea have also helped him through a couple of talent identification courses with the aim of eventually landing work back in football.

But being without a fixed address makes this process difficult when it comes to securing the necessary background checks for working with youngsters.

“I’ve spoken to the PFA where I try and explain it. I felt if you don’t drink every day it's not a problem, but it causes problems in your life. Now I’m trying to rectify that.

“Chelsea helped me to get my Level 1 and Level 2 scouting badges. I did that with them and the FA at Stamford Bridge.

“I think that’s something that I’ll enjoy. I like watching youngsters, I feel like I can see potential in people.

“I watch football all day, every day. I like to spot youth talents coming through. I feel like I can help them in other ways off the pitch, try to steer them away from the stuff I was doing.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum