Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darby hails team effort as young Whites win in FA Youth Cup

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Darby hails team effort as young Whites win in FA Youth Cup 17392601

Julian Darby was pleased to see a real team effort as his Under-18 side beat Blackpool 2-0 in the FA Youth Cup first round.

Conor Lewis and Harrison Fleury both struck early in the second half at Victory Park, while Wanderers defended resiliently at the other end.

The result sees Darby’s side progress past the opening round for the second year in a row, overcoming Wythenshawe Amateurs last term.

“At 4pm, I found out that our leading goalscorer wasn’t going to play a part in the game so people had to jig around,” said Darby.

“It has been backs to the wall really, not an ideal build-up to the game. I think we had 12 fit players but every one of them stood up to be counted. The effort and the football we played was really good.

“Conor has had to wait quite a while. He has been on the bench and he is a young boy who has come in this year.

“He is a Bolton fan through and through, and his family, so I am delighted for him. It was a good finish, a lovely toe poke in the box.

“Harrison, he has been our deputy captain this year. He has grown up, he is a different lad than he was last year. He has been excellent so far this season.

“I am delighted for everyone. The endeavour, in the 95th minute they were still pressing with a bundle of energy.”

The young Whites faced a barrage of crosses into the box but stood firm and kept the Blackpool attack at bay.

“We hadn’t kept a clean sheet since we played Blackpool around September time,” Darby continued.

“It wasn’t just the back five and the goalkeeper, it was all the lads on the pitch. We defended from the front and the midfielders put a real shift in.

“We spoke about how good they are at set-pieces, they are quite inventive and have some big, strong boys. It was important that we stood up to it. If there was a headed to be won, we won it.

“I’m delighted for George (Barlow). He has played a few games for us and is getting better all the time. It’s great for him to get a clean sheet as well.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some tidy stuff played by the kids and a great tackle to win the ball for the first..

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum