Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt's delight as 'ruthless streak' emerges in seven-goal rout of Exeter City

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt's delight as 'ruthless streak' emerges in seven-goal rout of Exeter City 17484160

Wanderers finally produced the sort of goal deluge they have often threatened with seven strikes against Exeter City – and Ian Evatt hopes it won’t be the last.

After watching the Whites stroll into a two-goal lead at half time, the big question was whether they could push on and make the score-line truly reflect their dominance in the game?

Five second-half goals left folk in do doubt and though there were some comedy jeers from cheeky home fans when Ricardo Santos slowed play in stoppage time whilst folk were baying for an eighth goal, it was all laughed off in good jest as Evatt hailed the biggest league win ever seen in the stadium.

“We didn’t ease off – although there was probably a little sign at seven when we got a few boos from the crowd. But we’ll take that in good nature,” he told the press after the game.

“But the guys who have been here on this journey with me from the start – Marc, Jacko, Derek – will tell you that sort of performance has been coming and that we have wanted that from the team.

“Too often when we have got ahead in a game we have got comfortable and backed off. But the next phase of our development as a team is to develop that ruthless streak and to keep going.

“The players off the bench helped because they are hungry and want to get back into the 11. It is a difficult place to be, in the team at the minute, because every one of them knows there is someone champing at the bit to get their place.”

Dion Charles had started the week with a goal for Northern Ireland in Belfast and finished by adding two more to his club tally – taking him to 13 for the season.

Add to that his clever assist for Jack Iredale’s opener and Evatt agrees he has a player in good touch.

“Dion is doing well,” he said. “He has looked really sharp and I watched the game against Denmark and he is full of confidence.

“He is a proven goal-scorer at this level but I honestly do believe in all the strikers – I’m delighted that Victor got a goal, Dan, Jon, Cameron didn’t get on, but they are a good group of strikers and we will continue giving them that positive messaging. I back them all to keep improving and getting more goals.”

Wanderers face away trips to Oxford United on Tuesday and then Portsmouth the following Monday, which are bound to be a real test of their automatic promotion credentials.

The team has scored 97 goals so far in 2023 and has eight games in league and cup remaining until the turn of 2024.

The most prolific year in the club’s history was 1934, which saw the team score 104 times, which could be surpassed if Evatt’s side can continue in their current run of positive form.

The manager refuses to get too carried away with the statistics, however, and is keen to keep focus within his squad.

“There are some really tough games coming up now and this league doesn’t get any easier,” he added.

“We’re still in two cup competitions as well but we have got a squad of players who are hungry to keep going.

“We have players who have come back from injury at the right time and we need to try and keep them fit and healthy. If we can, we can manage the games. They will come up really quickly.

“The next two away games are as tough as they come but we have got to go and show now that we are capable of replicating the type of performance we showed out there today.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum