Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'It is the best thing that ever happened to me!' - Baxter loving life at Bolton

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'It is the best thing that ever happened to me!' - Baxter loving life at Bolton 17622239

Nathan Baxter believes the decision to sign for Bolton Wanderers in the summer has turned out better than he could ever have imagined.

The former Chelsea keeper admits he has not been over-worked in his early months with the Whites but got some time in the spotlight on Sunday with a stunning second-half save at Luton Town to help earn a replay against the Premier League men.

Baxter was one of the summer’s most in-demand free agents having severed ties with Stamford Bridge after 17 years with the Blues as man and boy.

Wanderers wanted a permanent replacement for England Under-21 international James Trafford, who had completed a successful 18-month loan spell from Manchester City, which then led to a £19million move to Burnley.

Baxter had been close to signing for Championship Hull City the previous season but the 25-year-old said the risk he took dropping down to League One to replace Trafford has proven to be a masterstroke.

“One of the reasons I wanted to come here was because of the great season James Trafford had here last season – and then went on to play in the Premier League,” he said.

“I relish the opportunity. I know there some goalkeepers that didn’t want to do it, but I saw it as a great opportunity for me.

“I back myself. I wouldn’t say to be better than him, because we are different goalkeepers and different people. I had two years in the Championship [at Hull] but was very injury-hit.

“If it wasn’t for three long-term injuries I may never have come to the club, but in fact it is the best thing that ever happened to me.

“I love it here, the goalkeeping coach and the gaffer have been brilliant with me, and it could turn out to be the best thing ever in my career.”

Baxter had grown up at Chelsea and been farmed out on a list of loans to gain experience.

He turned down contracts from the UK and abroad to find stability, and a club he felt could return him to the higher divisions.

“It is interesting,” he saud. “I went on eight loans [at Chelsea] and when people used to say to me ‘you’re only on loan’ I didn’t like it, because I always gave everything for the shirt every time.

“But actually now I am on the other side of it and see what it is like to be a permanent player, you do really see the difference.

“I chose Bolton because of the size of it, and there is no reason it can’t do what Luton have done. The board and the manager see that potential as well.

“Hopefully we can grow and I can be a part of it.”

Though Wanderers will feel they fully deserved a replay against Luton, Hatters boss Rob Edwards claimed after the game that his side had been denied a clear penalty for a foul by Will Forrester on Alfie Doughty – a decision which was reviewed by the VAR officials.

It was the first time Bolton had ever been involved in a game with a video referee, which is currently only available at Premier League venues.

Baxter felt the right call had been made in the end.

“VAR – it was a bit weird, whether it was fair that they get to play with it every week and we don’t, but that’s for the powers that be to decide,” he said. “It would have been cruel if they had got that penalty at the end.

“It was a nice result. Some of the games in our division it is quite quiet, so it was nice to have a game where I was more in the action.

“We have ambitions to go up a division to the Championship where we would come up against more quality like we did against Luton.

“So it was a good test to see where we are at, we came through it well. We had some chances and rode our luck at times.

“I thought the last 20 minutes we were looking like the team that could get a result. They came out after half time and were really good and put us under a lot of pressure.

“But then we got a foothold in the game and were definitely worth a replay.”

Wanderers could pocket around £200,000 if the replay is picked for television coverage and they manage to spring a surprise when the two sides meet at the Toughsheet Stadium.

Baxter is upbeat about Bolton’s chances, and knows the extra money will definitely come in handy.

“One of the reasons I came to Bolton is that the club is run really well,” he said. “There are lots of stories in football about clubs that aren’t run well.

“Players are aware of what the FA Cup and a big game at home can do for the club. The pitch and the surroundings will suit us more, but they have some real quality to pose us challenges.

“But we are looking forward to that, and hopefully the chance of progressing.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum