Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Johnston on injury lay-off and 'light at the end of the tunnel'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Johnston on injury lay-off and 'light at the end of the tunnel' 17824025

It has been a difficult season for George Johnston but the defender is determined to come back stronger.

Johnston hasn’t featured since suffering an ACL injury during the pre-season friendly at Bamber Bridge.

He had come on leaps and bounds the previous campaign, becoming a key member of Ian Evatt’s squad.

It takes time to get back up to speed after such a lengthy injury lay off, but the defender is eager to return to the pitch as soon as possible.

“It is kind of see what happens,” he said. “I can’t play before the nine months, which is the beginning of April.

“Depending on the state of where we are at and the position we are in kind of decides whether I will play again this season.

“But in my mind, that is kind of the aim I have. That is the aim I have always had, to be able to play – or be available to play – the last few games of the season.

“That is what kept me going and that is what I will keep thinking and hoping for, because it is what is driving and pushing me.

“My main goal if I don’t play this season is to get signed off by the physios that I am fit for pre-season.

“If that is the case, I will be doing as much as I can in the off-season to make sure I am as fit and strong as I can be for the start of pre-season.”

Johnston can’t wait to be back among the group after being forced to watch from the sidelines for so long.

“I can pretty much do everything now – but still in an isolated environment, whether that is one-on-one with the physios or if someone is returning from injury,” he explained.

Johnston on injury lay-off and 'light at the end of the tunnel' 17824029

“In recent weeks, it has been Rico (Santos) and Randell (Williams) and I have been able to do work on the pitch with them, which has been helpful for me having someone out there with me rather than just the physios.

“It has been good and hopefully moving forward now, I can drop back into team training, non-contact stuff at first and then progress from there.”

Being out injured can be tough mentally, but the 25-year-old has managed to remain upbeat during his recovery.

“I think it has gone quickly, although the physios would say different,” he joked.

“I have had a few little niggles in other areas along the way with my body getting used to kicking, running and – at the very beginning – walking again.

“Mentally, it has been fine because I have been progressing week-on-week and there has always been something to look forward to.

“Now I am closer to being back, it is harder in a way because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.”

Johnston initially joined Wanderers in the summer of 2021 and signed a new deal running until 2026 following his injury.

“I have played a lot for the club now and I know the lads. I see myself as one of the more senior figures,” he reflected.

“You have got Rico, Geth (Jones), Tommo (George Thomason) and then the next one is me - in terms of who has been at the club the longest - so I do see myself as having an important role.

“But it is just a fine balance. I don’t see what goes on on the pitch every day, I just see the lads around training and what happens at the weekend so I help as much as I can, although it is difficult.”

At 25 years of age, the former Liverpool youngster still has plenty of time to develop before hitting his peak years.

Johnston hopes the lessons he has learnt this season will stand him in good stead for the rest of his career.

“Hopefully, this season is forgotten about going forward and the best years are ahead of me,” he said.

“At the end of my career when I look back, it is not ‘I had a prolonged spell out here’. It is ‘I had a little time on the side which elevated the rest of my career’.

“That is the way I look at it - work as hard as I can now to have the best career I possible can and hopefully it restarts at another level with Bolton.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum