Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we a big club?

+10
Reebok_Rebel
Sgt. Bash
JonnyRandom
Natasha Whittam
Reebok Trotter
Bernard Dennis Park
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
14 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are we a big club? Empty Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 10:17

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For aslong as I can remember new players we have brought in either on loan or permanently have stated that we are a top club and belong in the premiership, we've had more examples of this from our latest recruits and have bought a guy who could have chosen to play in Italy with udinese or the premier league with west ham, yet still he chose to sign for us, here is one of the things he's said about us -

Kamara "every player wants to play for the top clubs in the world and Bolton are a top club."

Another signing Craig dawson had multiple offers from championship clubs above us playing brilliant stuff yet still he says "once I learnt of Bolton interest I knew where I wanted to play my football, it's a massive club and I'm delighted to be here"

And finally today, de ridder has also said that we are a massive club that belong in the prem.

These players had other/better options to choose from but I totally agree with those quotes, obviously we aren't in the same league as Madrid or united but we have earnt the right to be considered a big club IMO.

What do you guys think?

2Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 10:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not really. We are an old club with a long tradition, but our glory days are a long time ago. With the changing of the boundaries in the 70s, the rise of Wigan as another local option and being subsumed into Greater Manchester, our traditional catchment area has been halved so we'll not be seeing the big crowds we used to see in the 50s and before - crowds that could give us the financial potential to compete at the top table again.

Clubs with that potential to grow like Birmingham, Cardiff, Leicester, Leeds, Boro and even Norwich etc. could be viewed as "big clubs" along with the many others that have consistently performed over the last 20 years or so. We are a "medium-sized" club with a proud history, but limited growth potential IMO.

3Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 10:36

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Of course we are a big club, we're Bolton Wanderers!! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 11:59

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No.

5Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:05

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We have a long history and only a few teams have spent more time in the top flight than us. We are one of the most successful teams in England this century. We're not a massive club but we're certainly a big club who lots of players can only dream of playing for.

6Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:09

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:No.

Brilliant. I'm glad I got your opinion.

7Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:14

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He doesn't know much about Bolton so I'd ignore his opinion if I was you.

8Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just don't care much about this big club small club pissing contest.

If you read twitter, the 'size' of your club is determined by how many fans you take to away games.

9Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think we hold the record for the most seasons in the top flight without having ever won the title. It's hard to imagine that in the 1930's we nearly got 70,000 through the turnstiles at Burnden Park.

10Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We're not a big club. I really want to believe Medo chose us for the right reasons but I suspect we just offered the most money. If he sweats some blood on Saturday I'll happily change my mind though*

* I know, I know - Dougie won't pick him

11Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've won 4 fa cups and had two Europeans tours, history suggests we are a big club.

12Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 13:06

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Are we feck. We were kind of when we were finishing top half of the prem. We've slipped a lot since then. No where near a big club

13Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 13:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We were the winning team in the match that had the biggest attendance in the history of British football - but that was 90 years ago.

14Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 13:28

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

This question is a difficult one. Everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a "big club".

For me, we are a big club.

*Founder members of the Football League in 1888.
*Over 70 years of top flight Football (I imagine very few clubs can claim similar!)
*Never left the Football League and only spent ONE season in the bottom division.
*Four FA Cup titles.
*In the modern day, only club (apart from maybe Villa and Everton?) outside the "big 6" (Arse, ManU. ManC, Lpool, Chelski & Spurs) to finish in the top 8 four times in a row.
*Two European tours including a draw against Bayern Munich and wins against Red Star and Atletico Madrid.

Of course, we're having a bad spell right now and clubs like Wigan Athletic will seem like a bigger club. The truth is, they can only dream of a history and tradition like ours.

So basically, my opinion of what makes a big club is history and tradition, not the size of your stadium, fanbase or even your current league position. Another few examples of clubs bigger than Wigan or Reading: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd... I could easily go on.

15Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 14:07

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lt. Boon wrote:This question is a difficult one. Everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a "big club".

For me, we are a big club.

*Founder members of the Football League in 1888.
*Over 70 years of top flight Football (I imagine very few clubs can claim similar!)
*Never left the Football League and only spent ONE season in the bottom division.
*Four FA Cup titles.
*In the modern day, only club (apart from maybe Villa and Everton?) outside the "big 6" (Arse, ManU. ManC, Lpool, Chelski & Spurs) to finish in the top 8 four times in a row.
*Two European tours including a draw against Bayern Munich and wins against Red Star and Atletico Madrid.

Of course, we're having a bad spell right now and clubs like Wigan Athletic will seem like a bigger club. The truth is, they can only dream of a history and tradition like ours.

So basically, my opinion of what makes a big club is history and tradition, not the size of your stadium, fanbase or even your current league position. Another few examples of clubs bigger than Wigan or Reading: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd... I could easily go on.

^^^ This.

16Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 14:21

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Yes.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

17Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 15:50

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

We are the one and only Wanderers!!!!

Massive!!!

18Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:16

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bolton is a famous club with lots of history, tradition and has performed overall much better in terms of success [trophies, time in the top league] than other clubs with more money and bigger gates. But big, no.

19Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:57

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

No

20Are we a big club? Empty Re: Are we a big club? Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:59

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:No