Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How much do we miss Elmander

+9
BWFCinPhila
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
Born to be a wanderer
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How much do we miss Elmander Empty How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:16

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Just a quick survey i posted about problems this season,injuries,players at end of careers,losing Elmander.Natasha said"i hope the losing Elmander was a joke".So i thought id put it out there and see what the opinions are.IMO Elmander was a good footballer who we should have held on to.Obviously im not privy to accounts and what he was asking for in wages and what he was offered by his current team.But i think he would have been a player we should have kept.Its out there now await your opinions on him.

2How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:23

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He had a good streak of scoring goals and he worked hard.

I don't think he'd have helped us massively this season.

the gamechanger was the Holden injury.

3How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:26

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Born to be a wanderer, I wouldn't take anything Natasha says about football remotely seriously. This poster has nothing good to say about Bolton Wanderers. This poster claims Stuart Holden was a terrible signing.

Regarding Elmander, he doubled his salary when he moved to Galatasaray, from £40K to £80K per week - far beyond what we can afford.

Should we have bought him? No.
Did we get a good return on investment? Absolutely not.
Were we right to try to keep him in spite of this? Yes.

He is a good player. His first couple of seasons were pretty poor, but he was well adapted to English football by the time he left, and had done a decent job in adapting to the central midfield role when Sturridge came in.

4How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:32

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We miss Elmander like the Director missed the point in "Pearl Harbour".

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

5How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Born to be a wanderer wrote:Just a quick survey i posted about problems this season,injuries,players at end of careers,losing Elmander.Natasha said"i hope the losing Elmander was a joke".So i thought id put it out there and see what the opinions are.IMO Elmander was a good footballer who we should have held on to.Obviously im not privy to accounts and what he was asking for in wages and what he was offered by his current team.But i think he would have been a player we should have kept.Its out there now await your opinions on him.

He played like an utter tosser for 2 seasons, had a good spell for around 6 weeks where he scored that great goal at Wolves, then went back to being a tosser.

Overall he was the biggest waste of money in the history of Bolton Wanderers, anyone who thinks otherwise is either clueless or Il Padrino.

6How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 15:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Il Padrino wrote:This poster claims Stuart Holden was a terrible signing.

In terms of a return on BWFC's investment he (so far) has been a disaster.

PM me if you need any business tips IP as you're clearly out of touch with the real world.

7How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:11

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Based on your rationale, a great signing becomes a terrible one the moment they get their leg broken. He cost nothing, for the first half season we got him (when he had his first injury) he was on tiny wages. So given he cost nothing and his wages were tiny, I'm not unhappy with that.

Since then he's been injured for about half his time at the club. He was our best player when he was fit. He could well be our best player again. If we have to sell him due to relegation, we will get several million pounds for him.

So you PM me if you need any business tips as you're clearly out of touch with the real world.

8How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're being trolled.

9How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:19

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You're probably right, Hipster. Your theory is more realistic than someone who claims to be a Bolton Wanderers fan but never has anything positive to say about Bolton Wanderers.

10How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:24

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Overall he was the biggest waste of money in the history of Bolton Wanderers, anyone who thinks otherwise is either clueless or Il Padrino.

Natasha you are probably too young to have seen Len Cantello play, but even though he only cost £350k (a club record at the time) pound for pound allowing for inflation he was worse value than Elmander.

11How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:You're being trolled.

Again, just because we don't agree you claim I'm a troll. Yet you're the one who hasn't been to Bolton this decade.

Stuart Holden is a good player, probably our best player, but based on his Bolton career so far he has been a poor signing.

Paying someone £15k per week to Tweet photos of their foot is not good business where I come from.

12How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Il Padrino wrote:Based on your rationale, a great signing becomes a terrible one the moment they get their leg broken. He cost nothing, for the first half season we got him (when he had his first injury) he was on tiny wages. So given he cost nothing and his wages were tiny, I'm not unhappy with that.

Since then he's been injured for about half his time at the club. He was our best player when he was fit. He could well be our best player again. If we have to sell him due to relegation, we will get several million pounds for him.

So you PM me if you need any business tips as you're clearly out of touch with the real world.

Firstly, I said "so far" - he may stop being an injury prone ponce and go on to be a great player. But I'm basing my judgement on his Bolton career to date.

By your rationale Sean Davis was a masterstroke of a signing.

13How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Natasha you are probably too young to have seen Len Cantello play, but even though he only cost £350k (a club record at the time) pound for pound allowing for inflation he was worse value than Elmander.

I didn't see Len Cantello, but I find it hard to believe anyone could be a worse signing than Elmander.

14How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:45

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Stuart Holden is a good player, probably our best player, but based on his Bolton career so far he has been a poor signing.

To be fair, that's the first positive thing I've ever seen you write about BWFC.

And for the record, the reason we were right to try to keep Elmander is because he is better than any of the free transfers that were available, and if we'd got him on another three year deal we could have eventually got some of the ridiculous fee Megson shelled out for him. It made sense.

I know you don't like Coyle, but he would never pay £10m for a 27 year old on a 3 year deal, even if he had that money available.

15How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 16:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Il Padrino wrote:
And for the record, the reason we were right to try to keep Elmander is because he is better than any of the free transfers that were available, and if we'd got him on another three year deal we could have eventually got some of the ridiculous fee Megson shelled out for him. It made sense.

Ok, I can understand that....I just feel we'd have been rewarding shiteness if we'd offered him a new deal.

16How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 17:10

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well thats football, you either keep faith and assume Holden will, at some point come back and produce his best. Or because he's been unlucky with two horror injuries you void his contract.

thats the business decision.

17How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 19:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Elmander worked hard when he wore our shirt but he ran his contract down, which was his entitlement. I actually thought he was half decent. His goal against Wolves was one of the top twenty of the whole EPL season.

You can't blame the guy for leaving when his wages were going to be doubled. Zenit St.Petersburg must be offering a shedload of cash if Galatasary are going to sell him.

18How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 20:05

I try to be positive about most Bolton players but I never got Elmander. How the heck did Megson pay £8m for a striker who couldn't shoot straight?

19How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 20:06

to be honest i only started watching bolton around the time of the fa cup semi final - but all i saw from elmander was a lot of effort for no end product.

20How much do we miss Elmander Empty Re: How much do we miss Elmander Wed Feb 22 2012, 20:15

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Intersting views all valid IMO.Im Old enough to remember Len Cantello.We paid £350-000 which was a record fee for years at Wanderers.Very Poor signing.Im struggling to think who signed him.Ill google it in a bit.Glad Chelsea are on a poor run.It gives us more hope than normally playing Chelsea.Although we usually play better at Stamford Bridge than our Results at the Reebok.Probably due to the formation.Be interesting to see if Sordell gets to play any part.Probably zat Knight will probably be back for Ream.Ream equipped himself well at Millwall but Chelsea are a class above and he is still settling in to the Club.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum