Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What game/quiz shows do you watch?

+8
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
Mr Magoo
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
largehat
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 00:30

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's easy to dismiss all game shows as moron fodder.

Family Fortunes, The Price is Right, Bullseye, Strike It Lucky - they all have real thicko appeal.

However I am not ashamed to admit there are three quiz shows I do watch with some regularity.

Deal or No Deal
I Sky+ Deal or No Deal and watch it from 35 minutes onwards. I make sure I skip all the "getting to know the contestant" bollocks at the start - I hate that shit with the family photos and the sob stories, it's not what I watch it for and nobody ever deals in the first couple of rounds anyway. On a good day it is intriguing. On a bad day I zone out. We had a good discussion about Deal or No Deal in relation to the Monty Hall Problem last month BA. I know some of the posters on here lurk on there but don't post, so some of you will have read it. On a good episode, the psychology and decision making can be riveting.

Pointless
I only discovered this recently. It's like Family Fortunes but for people with a brain. 100 people are asked to provide as many answers as they can to questions before the show, and the idea is to come up with correct answers on the show which as few people as possible were able to name. If you come up with a correct answer which none of the 100 people nominated, that is called a 'Pointless' answer. So you find contestants searching for obscure answers and taking calculated risks based on a) the certainty that the answer is right b) their perception of the obscurity of the answer c) is their answer more obscure than the other contestant's answer and d) their current score over-riding a), b) and c).

A couple of example questions
a) Name a UK born female solo artist who has had a UK number one single

So the 'worst' correct answers were people like Adele and Leona Lewis. The best answers were people like Emma Bunton.

b) Name a country recognised as a sovereign state by the United Nations which repeats no letters in its name.

The worst correct answers were France, Spain and Germany. The pointless answers were countries like Mali, Tonga and so on. But surprisngly, Belgium was also a pointless answer, even though you'd think it was an obvious one.

University Challenge
It's very hard and the questions are asked by Jeremy Paxman in a sarcastic tone. What's not to like about it?

Each series I keep track of how many questions I can answer correctly. However I do cheat by pausing it to think, something the students can't do. My highest score this series is 22, my lowest is 8. It's challenging.

Do any of you guys watch these, or would you recommend any other quiz shows?

Eggheads is too slow paced for me and I find the Eggheads annoying. I like seeing Anne Robinson destroy people on The Weakest Link but the questions are too easy. I like the Million Pound Drop but again, there's half an hour between each question.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Quite like QI.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Family Fortunes, The Price is Right, Bullseye, Strike It Lucky - they all have real thicko appeal.

You bastard, those are probably my favourite four game shows of all time!

And it's a bit rich to call people who watch those shows "thicko" and then say you watch Deal Or No Deal - a show that requires no skill at all.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Tend to watch the following quiz shows:-

The Chase

Pointless (on iPlayer)

University Challenge

Eggheads

With regards to gameshows, I watch:-

Family Fortunes (via iPlayer)

Mock the Week

Have I Got News For You

A Question Of Sport

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Countdown Very Happy

Sluffy wrote:Quite like QI.

I cannot watch anything that involves Alan Davies after he slagged Bolton off in a broadsheet newspaper a few years back.

i like pointless but there's a lot more chit-chat than there used to be when it was on bbc2.

bullseye is my alltime favourite though, i tape about 10 of them a week and watch them one after the other.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

You bastard, those are probably my favourite four game shows of all time!

Horses for courses.

There's no point giving it the old "look at me I'm posh" routine and 'fessing up to watching Bullseye. If Bullseye were a drink, it would be a half of mild. In an engraved pewter tankard that's been hanging on a hook behind the bar since the fifties.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bwfc71, I also like Have I Got News For You buy I consider that, Question of Sport and Mock the Week to be panel shows rather than quiz or game shows in the traditional sense. They are a vehicle for the celebrity contestants rather than vice versa.

10What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:09

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Not sure if these 2 fall under game/quiz shows but Crystal Maze and Big Break were immense programmes back in the day.

The only decnet game show on these days is Pointless in my opinion.

Family fortunes was ruined when they got rid of Les dennis and replaced him with Vernon Kay and brought in all the fucking celebs, I really hate the fact all gameshows have to involves celebs now a days.

11What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
There's no point giving it the old "look at me I'm posh" routine and 'fessing up to watching Bullseye. If Bullseye were a drink, it would be a half of mild. In an engraved pewter tankard that's been hanging on a hook behind the bar since the fifties.

I wasn't always posh, I'm from Little Lever.

Bullseye reminds me of my youth - it was always on around teatime on a Sunday and the whole family would sit down to watch it with our tea on our knees.

12What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:21

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pointless is great.

I always display my extreme knowledge of films on that show. I'd be a frikin beast if i was on it.

13What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:24

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Pointless seems the only show that has normal people on it at the moment.

I think the prizemoney is a bit shit though.

Who Wants to be a millionare used to be decent when it first started, used to be on once a week but they messed up by having it on nearly every day.

14What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:27

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's been a few good looking ladies on it recently as well, wouldn't mind getting podiumed up with them.

There was a weird looking woman the other week with huge hair, and an all in one dress on that made me laugh. Reminded me of Nat.

15What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:There's been a few good looking ladies on it recently as well, wouldn't mind getting podiumed up with them.

There was a weird looking woman the other week with huge hair, and an all in one dress on that made me laugh. Reminded me of Nat.

You watch quiz shows to look at the totty?

You really need a girlfriend.

16What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:41

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No, i watch pointless. If there's some totty on there it's a bonus.

good attempt at twisting my words.

17What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 13:05

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bullseye was a classic. Clueless host Jim Bowen reading off an autocue and not listening to one word that the contestants said.

One of the classic Bullseye clips was one where the intro went like this:

Bowen, " Welcome to the show now what do you do for a living ?

Overweight contestant, " I'm unemployed at the moment."

Bowen, " Great, super, smashing ! Have you anything lined up ?"

Contestant, " No, I've been out of work for three years."

Bowen, " Great, super, smashing. Now who is your partner today ? "

Bowen was that bad that he was actually very funny on the show without meaning to be. You could have told the gormless git that you were riddled with the clap and he would have still said great, super, smashing. Why Central TV pulled the plug is a mystery.

18What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 13:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Can't stand most quiz shows but I do like the comedy ones such as QI, Have I Got News for You, Mock the Week, etc. My wife's addicted to Pointless though.

19What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 13:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Family Fortunes for the really thick bastards.

"Name an item of your partners clothing that you would borrow to wear"

"Shoes". Enough said.

Catchphrase for the wanking cartoon. Almost pissed my pants first time I saw it.

20What game/quiz shows do you watch? Empty Re: What game/quiz shows do you watch? Tue Feb 28 2012, 13:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here it is in case you missed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotjiUQ7e0s

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum