Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should you hit someone if they spit in your face?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A police officer has been found guilty of punching a suspect in the face after he spat in the officer's mouth.

PC Rohan Scarlett, 47, was accused of assaulting Andrew Uba as he put him in a police van in February.

Metropolitan Police officer Scarlett was transferring Uba from Islington police station to custody in Lewisham, south-east London.

The officer who denied common assault, at Highbury Magistrates Court, is currently suspended from duties.

Scarlett, from Croydon, south London, said he had struggled while transferring Uba to custody.

But as he put Uba inside the van, without warning Uba spat at close distance in his face, Scarlett told the court.

"A big lump went in my mouth and left eye and spray went over my face and vest.

"Because I hadn't heard him bringing it up I thought he was going to spit at me again so I struck him in the face area."

Scarlett wiped his face of spit, opened the van door and intentionally "launched" himself at Uba, punching him twice, the court was told.

Delivering the guilty verdict, chair of the bench Sue Rose said: "We do not accept that the defendant honestly believed that he needed to use force to defend himself in these circumstances."

The court was shown a photograph from the scene, with a pool of blood on the seat where Uba had been sitting.

Another officer PC David O'Hara was present at the time of the incident.

PC O'Hara claimed he tried to remove Scarlett from the suspect but he was not strong enough.

He said he told the defendant after the punch "we don't do that", to which he said Mr Scarlett replied "yeah we do".

Sentencing was adjourned until 20 September and Scarlett was given continued unconditional bail.

Scarlett's defence barrister, Tom Godfrey, said his client would be appealing against the verdict.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23852854

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:A police officer has been found guilty of punching a suspect in the face after he spat in the officer's mouth.

PC Rohan Scarlett, 47, was accused of assaulting Andrew Uba as he put him in a police van in February.

Metropolitan Police officer Scarlett was transferring Uba from Islington police station to custody in Lewisham, south-east London.

The officer who denied common assault, at Highbury Magistrates Court, is currently suspended from duties.

Scarlett, from Croydon, south London, said he had struggled while transferring Uba to custody.

But as he put Uba inside the van, without warning Uba spat at close distance in his face, Scarlett told the court.

"A big lump went in my mouth and left eye and spray went over my face and vest.

"Because I hadn't heard him bringing it up I thought he was going to spit at me again so I struck him in the face area."

Scarlett wiped his face of spit, opened the van door and intentionally "launched" himself at Uba, punching him twice, the court was told.

Delivering the guilty verdict, chair of the bench Sue Rose said: "We do not accept that the defendant honestly believed that he needed to use force to defend himself in these circumstances."

The court was shown a photograph from the scene, with a pool of blood on the seat where Uba had been sitting.

Another officer PC David O'Hara was present at the time of the incident.

PC O'Hara claimed he tried to remove Scarlett from the suspect but he was not strong enough.

He said he told the defendant after the punch "we don't do that", to which he said Mr Scarlett replied "yeah we do".

Sentencing was adjourned until 20 September and Scarlett was given continued unconditional bail.

Scarlett's defence barrister, Tom Godfrey, said his client would be appealing against the verdict.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23852854
Spitting in someone's face is 'criminal assault', so what happened to the 'spitter'?
Funny that one of the cops is called Scarlett and the other O'Hara.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

He obviously went too far.

He shouldn't have reacted at all but I guess it is understandable reaction to give the spitter a slap.

I'm guessing his colleagues probably would have let things go at that but 'a pool of blood' suggests he lost it big time.

Waste of a career if he loses his job over this.

Good spot Wayne - Scarlett O'Hara!

:biggrin: 

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

O'Hara might regret testifying against a fellow officer. There could come a time when he will need 'backup' because he's in danger, and that backup might be slow in arriving.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

waynagain wrote:O'Hara might regret testifying against a fellow officer. There could come a time when he will need 'backup' because he's in danger, and that backup might be slow in arriving.
O'Hara sounds like a bit of a twat to be honest. As Wayne suggests, I can see O'Hara regretting his actions in the future. Johnny Two Jabs got assaulted by a Taffy egg chucker and managed to get two digs in before the coppers intervened. the egg chucker was charged with public order related assault but Two Jabs was never charged. It's a funny old game.

Remember Frank Rijkaard leaving a full blown Glossop in Rudy Voeller's curly permed barnet?

https://youtu.be/zr4YpAPbY2c

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

No ,there are other things a copper can do that don't leave marks but are very unpleasant.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum