Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BWFC managers on a hiding to nothing

+7
Sluffy
observer
Natasha Whittam
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
wanderlust
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:My crystal ball has it this way:

1) We sack Dougie next Saturday evening
2) Mick McCarthy takes over
3) We win every game until the end of the season and win the league
4) We sign Jermaine Defoe in the Summer and he scores 35 goals to push us to a top 4 Premier League finish
5) Mick McCarthy is named the new manager of Man Utd
6) Bolton give Sammy Lee another chance
7) By 2020 we are in League 2
lol! 

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:...makes us susceptible to attacks down the flanks, which can be countered by higher workrate from the midfielders - which leads me back to player error/inadequate workrate as the cause.
What midfielders do you suggest though?

Lee, Knight and Hall don't tackle.

Spearing and Medo play in the middle of the park.

Pratley is really a box to box attacking midfielder.

Ream possibly converted to play on the left perhaps – not sure of his engine though?

We simply don't have any midfielders who can naturally play on the flanks other than powder puff tackling wingers - and haven't had any for a number of seasons now, not since Taylor on the left and probably Stelios on the right.

This as led to a major, major unbalancing of the team imo - which leaves both our flanks vulnerable to attack, and a conveyor belt of crosses into the box - and goals continually conceded.

Not remember Cahill saying something when he was with us to the effect of 'there's only so many crosses we can head away before we have to let one in'.

A fundamental flaw in the team which is beginning to look fatal to us stemming the flood of goals that we continue to ship right now imo.
Yes - you've highlighted the problem - or at least what appears to be our main problem at the moment - and I'm not sure how Dougie or anyone else can resolve it. Our most promising recent player to get up and down the flanks was Alonso and towards the end of his time with us, he pushed the opposition back into their own box regularly.
We can't buy that kind of quality, so I'd be asking whether or not we can wait for White or someone else to come through? Pratley has the engine, but would have to be deployed wide and I don't think he can cross well enough.
It's a real issue for the manager and I can't think of any obvious way to sort it other than try out every squad member to play wider in a midfield 4 and pick the best.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yeovil is a no win senario ..... if we win some people will say its a sign of turning around....if we win people will say ...it's only yeovil

If we lose again at home........surely that will be enough for most of us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum