Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zat Knight praised by Dougie Freedman for showing good example to being dropped by Bolton Wanderers

+5
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
JAH
karlypants
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Zat Knight praised by Dougie Freedman for showing good example to being dropped by Bolton Wanderers

DOUGIE Freedman insists skipper Zat Knight still has his full backing even though he is no longer an automatic choice.

Despite dropping the defender to the bench for the last five games, the Wanderers boss has assured Knight that he still features heavily in his plans.

The 32-year-old impressed in substitute outings against Yeovil and Birmingham and has delighted Freedman with his attitude after finding himself out of the first-team picture.

“Zat has been dropped purely and simply because of his lack of form,” explained Freedman. “I have said that to everyone in the dressing room, so I don’t mind saying it to everyone else.

“Zat Knight has not whinged, not complained, has been in every day in training and been round every one of those players to wish them well. More importantly, when he has been called upon, he has come on to do a very good job. 

“As a professional and as a coach, you want these people round you.”

Knight came under fire from the Wanderers fans after a poor start to the season and was dropped after the 1-0 home defeat to Leeds United. 

He was even booed by some supporters after coming on in the second half against Yeovil – but Freedman reckons the experienced defender will not let the abuse affect him.

“He is honest and he has accepted the criticism,” the manager said. “You have to be a certain type of person to do that. All top players have to have a thick skin. They have to have layers.

“Zat has had his moments where he has not played very well but you have got to take criticism as a top player, from the fans and from the coaches, but more importantly you have got to do something about it and that’s what I am seeing from Zat right now.”

After making some big calls in his team selection recently, Freedman is now expecting a few more players to follow Knight’s lead and press for a recall against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday week.

“It has been a difficult two or three months for me as a coach,” he said.

“I have had to look at myself long and hard, but this hasn’t been a time where I have needed to manage anyone. I’ve needed people to lead by example.

“I demand certain standards from my players on the training ground and Zat Knight is one of those who is right behind me.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If DF changes his starting CB pairing after the 3 recent performances he needs his head examined and then he needs firing! By all means bring on the heffa to close out a game by playing 5 at the back, but don't start with him!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Amazing that players are being praised for showing the right attitude after being dropped.

Surely it should be a given considering the wages they are paid?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Amazing that players are being praised for showing the right attitude after being dropped.

:agree:

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some players throw a wobbly if they're dropped so I think it's fair enough to dole out some media guff praising the ones with the right attitude.
As for Knight, he played well for while before making a couple of cockups through lapses of concentration, but he was good keeping Zigic quiet against Brum and my only criticism would be that DF should have brought him on earlier, preferably before Zigic scored.

Still think Knight would be useful in a 3 CB line up, but it's not Dougie's style.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Amazing that players are being praised for showing the right attitude after being dropped.

It's called good man management

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Zat Knight is turning into a leader, its taken a long time but he's now a man.

Boggersbelief wrote:

It's called good man management
Exactly. 

If (as suspected when he was made captain) Knight's a big influence in the dressing room, then keeping his morale up and him 'on side' is very important.

You need to learn to look at the wider picture Nat.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

You need to learn to look at the wider picture Nat.
Or buy a new fishing rod. Laughing 

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I don't think he's the best of centre backs but fair play to him for not hiding away from the fact he has been dropped. He looked pretty solid (albeit for not long) against Birmingham when he came on.

Weststandupper

David Ngog
David Ngog

Zat was playing well when he had Dawson's voice doing the line and keeping people on there toes, maybe mc'naughton is doing the same now. Hold on am I sticking up for zat knight
.affraid

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum