Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie happy with performance vs Charlton

+11
Norpig
Banks of the Croal
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Bolton Nuts
Culcheth_White
bryan458
karlypants
scottjames30
Soul Kitchen
observer
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Take your time, mate...........

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Ok, I'll try to make sense and explain why I am (whilst far from delighted at recent results) prepared to wait it out a bit, and why I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard to put it into words, however, without the benefit of the game playing out in front of me so I can point bits out.

Firstly, we have a plan. And it's a plan that the players are learning and growing into gradually. Whilst it seems slow going at the moment I still think it's better than the headless chicken approach of Coyle, the hoofball, all out defend, of Megson or he gung-ho of Sammy Lee. 

The style we are appearing to be developing in my eyes is with a long term goal in mind.
Sure, we could rush things, press higher, play more balls into the box and play the percentage game - and it might work for a while in some games, we might even get a couple of favourable results. But using that approach would mean we would not be solid or disciplined enough to mount a real charge for the Prmiership - and - if we got into the Prem we would come unstuck quickly.

The thing Dougie is trying to do is build a team of like minded players, all playing together as a unit - and I can see that every week, I can see it coming together in subtle ways. So, it's not obvious, it's not in your face and it doesn't feel easy to watch at times if you are hoping your team are going to go out there and "have a go" in the more traditional sense.

Dougie is trying to make team that is more in the mold of a United or Arsenal, playing a more considered and structured game - a thoughtful approach.

- That is just the intro to my thoughts, do you want the rest?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

All I can say to you, with respect is nothing's working and two wins at home at this stage of the season is just not good enough.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i was far from happy with that insipid performance, Dougie wake and smell the bullshit please. We kept the ball better but actually did nothing with it other than go sideways or backwards. Then it would eventually land back with Mills who gave it his customary hoof to no one in particular.

Dougie also has no plan B, he takes players off but doesn't change anything tactically and one up front especially at home just does not work.

i've be watching the Whites since the old 4th division days and i can say hand on heart i just don't enjoy going at the moment. A team devoid of skill. heart and passion and a manager who is so stubborn and arrogant and still thinks this formation will come good when we can all see it will not.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Terrible turn out today. The Reebok is like a bloody morgue at the moment. Even the ESL corner was full of empty seats. The 150 that Charlton brought didn't do much for the atmosphere either.

Away games are much better.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Biggie wrote:Ok, I'll try to make sense and explain why I am (whilst far from delighted at recent results) prepared to wait it out a bit, and why I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard to put it into words, however, without the benefit of the game playing out in front of me so I can point bits out.

Firstly, we have a plan. And it's a plan that the players are learning and growing into gradually. Whilst it seems slow going at the moment I still think it's better than the headless chicken approach of Coyle, the hoofball, all out defend, of Megson or he gung-ho of Sammy Lee. 

The style we are appearing to be developing in my eyes is with a long term goal in mind.
Sure, we could rush things, press higher, play more balls into the box and play the percentage game - and it might work for a while in some games, we might even get a couple of favourable results. But using that approach would mean we would not be solid or disciplined enough to mount a real charge for the Prmiership - and - if we got into the Prem we would come unstuck quickly.

The thing Dougie is trying to do is build a team of like minded players, all playing together as a unit - and I can see that every week, I can see it coming together in subtle ways. So, it's not obvious, it's not in your face and it doesn't feel easy to watch at times if you are hoping your team are going to go out there and "have a go" in the more traditional sense.

Dougie is trying to make team that is more in the mold of a United or Arsenal, playing a more considered and structured game - a thoughtful approach.

Biggie, I'm not being funny, but most of us Bolton fans get a bit bored after reading a few lines. Can you and Wanderlust keep it simple from now on, thanks!

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Biggie wrote:Ok, I'll try to make sense and explain why I am (whilst far from delighted at recent results) prepared to wait it out a bit, and why I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard to put it into words, however, without the benefit of the game playing out in front of me so I can point bits out.

Biggie I would be interested in the rest of your thoughts.

I am still not calling for him to be sacked but I am running out of patience. He has had enough time to achieve a better level of results than we are seeing this season. Why loan out Sordell when he seemed to be achieving some form in pre-season? Why buy Cavies? Why buy Beckford? Why persevere with donkeys like Knight and Pratley? Ngog? I know money is a problem (thanks Owen) but how much time does he need?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Some powerful reminders there folks. Just two wins at home is a bit of a disaster. However, and I hate myself for saying it, I can still see the positives. 

Sorry Clucheth, I'll try to keep my posts shorter. And xmiles, I'll add my other thoughts at length later.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He might be working to a big plan but how does that work when the loan players fook off?

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Well he will have to happy watching with 10,000 fans next season.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Well after just seeing the so called ''highlights'' of the game on the FLShow, i'm not sure where all these so called chances are that Dougie speaks of as I could only count about 3 for us and 2 for them.

It's very frustrating as he seems to be happy with every performance at the moment even when we lose.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He's not going to say we are shite, he knows it's dire so he poorly plays mind games to detract from the truth.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Slagging off the players isn't the way forward, but neither is insulting the fans' intelligence. 

I don't think he believes what he says, it's just his way of persuading people to be patient. 

Obviously it's having the opposite effect.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Sorry, but its just nowhere near as atrocious as it was under Megson.
Under megson every goal kick was long, every free kick from the back was long, every free kick from half way was pumped forward, every throw was long down the line looking for a flick on. We never carved out chances that were real footballing brilliance or anything interesting to watch. at the least we now have some variation, some quick free kicks, some brains, some intelligence, some inventiveness...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Slagging off the players isn't the way forward, but neither is insulting the fans' intelligence. 

I don't think he believes what he says, it's just his way of persuading people to be patient. 

Obviously it's having the opposite effect.

Managers should always tell the truth. What possible benefit is there to publically saying you played well when everyone in the ground knows you didn't?

You are much more likely to keep the crowd on your side if you admit it was a poor performance and say the players will be working hard in training to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Only in football can the head of a company get away with lying to the paying customer.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

See above.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum