Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jay Spearing

+3
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jay Spearing Empty Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 15:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Medo played OK yesterday, but when we needed to sacrifice a holding midfielder he was subbed instead of Jay.
Presumably the idea was that Jay could provide the passes that would make a difference, but he was poor - and not for the first time this season.
I guess all players have a lack of form at some time or another, and it seems to me that Jay is going through a bad patch.
Medo gets stuck in but his range of passing is limited. On the upside, he has a shot on him which is something we are lacking in midfield.
I would argue we only need one holding midfielder anyway and for now it should be Medo IMO. Should Jay get dropped for a while until he finds his form?

2Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 15:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Spearing has been poor all season, it's high time he was dropped. It is a shame as he was the player we all wanted to see back as he was excellent last season, maybe the captaincy has affected his game?

3Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 16:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Medo played OK yesterday, but when we needed to sacrifice a holding midfielder he was subbed instead of Jay.
Presumably the idea was that Jay could provide the passes that would make a difference, but he was poor - and not for the first time this season.
I guess all players have a lack of form at some time or another, and it seems to me that Jay is going through a bad patch.
Medo gets stuck in but his range of passing is limited. On the upside, he has a shot on him which is something we are lacking in midfield.
I would argue we only need one holding midfielder anyway and for now it should be Medo IMO. Should Jay get dropped for a while until he finds his form?

I think they're both crap. Whenever the ball is moved out of defence quickly with a potential breakaway one of these donkeys takes three touches to control it, then passes it to the opposition.

We would be much better with Ream in midfield playing the holding role because he can actually pass.

4Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 16:13

Completely disagree with you, Medo's got a very good touch and his short range passing is good enough for the sort of player he is.

5Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 16:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Completely disagree with you, Medo's got a very good touch and his short range passing is good enough for the sort of player he is.

His touch is awful. Haven't seen him so much lately but three times against Boro at home he slowed great positions down by his inability to control a simple pass.

But regardless, we'd be better off with someone like Ream who can pass long and fast. We don't have the attacking players to pick up Medo's short passes and create something with it.

6Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 16:17

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Spearing is terrible. You know you're up shit creek when jay spearing is your playmaker. I was the only one that wasn't calling for his return..

7Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 16:26

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I imagine Dougie being very particular about what he requires of his midfielders, namely positioning, and that makes it difficult for them to express themselves.

I'm always seeing Spearing in situations where he could easily (and wants to) make a driving run through midfield but looks for a pass instead, which often takes him an age. It feels like he's forever caught in two minds whether to do what he actually wants to do or what he's been instructed to do.

I really think Medo and Spearing are capable of making positive attacking moves through midfield, but for whatever reason, don't so much.

8Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 19:47

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

If our defence wasn't such a shambles I agree Ream should play in midfield. He actually seems to be one of the few players we have with a footballing brain.

9Jay Spearing Empty Re: Jay Spearing Sun Feb 02 2014, 20:01

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

To be honest at the start of the season I was blaming our run on the defence but the more I have seen us this season the more I feel sorry for the back 4, our midfield has to be one of the worst in the league for keeping hold of the ball and creating something with it.

Medo is good at getting stuck in but takes 3 touches to control the ball, Spearing is another who is alright at winning it but seems to lose his head whenever he has the ball for more than 10 seconds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum