Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers boss Dougie Freedman rues loss of Marcos Alonso who says Whites stay was key to success

+4
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Marcos Alonso’s dream start to his Sunderland career comes as no surprise to Dougie Freedman – who still counts losing the Spaniard’s services as a low point in his own tenure.

Since returning to the English game on Wearside, the full-back has helped the Black Cats knock out Manchester United to reach their first Wembley final in more than 20 years and climb out of the relegation zone in the Premier League.

Earlier this week Alonso admitted that his experiences at Bolton had helped him hit the ground running at the Stadium of Light.

“I think the three years of experience at Bolton helped me to learn so much,” he told journalists in the North East.

But back in the North West, the fact his contract was allowed to dwindle to nothing and the young defender’s name be added to a list of lost investements still rankles with many, not least the Wanderers boss.

A small compensation fee was picked up in the summer for the 23-year-old when he opted to join Fiorentina after three years with the Whites.

But while Freedman had no qualms with Alonso’s choice of club at the time – he admits his cut-price exit should serve as a cautionary tale for Wanderers in the future.

“It’s just another story at this football club,” he said. “A player is going out of contract and wasn’t dealt with in the right way.

“That is exactly the reason why Mark Davies was put on a five-year deal as soon as I got here.

“I know fans want players signed tomorrow and I understand that entirely but you also have to look at the squad and who you are building your team around.

“I was disappointed when he left in the summer but I can’t blame the boy for wanting to go and play in Serie A.”

On his arrival in 2012, Freedman inherited a squad with two natural left-backs in Alonso and on-loan Stephen Warnock, along with another versatile man in Sam Ricketts who could also slot in anywhere across the back four.

It is a far cry from his current predicament, where he has been without a natural left-back since Marc Tierney broke his leg against Yeovil in October and an adequate replacement has yet to be found.

“When I first came here we had Stephen Warnock and I had to look at everyone,” Freedman said, looking back at the choices he had at the time.

“I decided he (Warnock) had to move on because I had a very good left-back who wasn’t even getting a game in Marcos.

“He came in, did great, and we tried to keep him in the end but the lure of Serie A was too good.

“A few months later when he was looking to come back I spoke to Gus Poyet on it and there were a couple of clubs in the Premier League looking to sign him, so I’m not surprised he’s doing well for Sunderland.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love the way he subtly blames others for everything that went wrong, and announces the capture of Mark Davies as some sort of genius move.

Blames others for giving players long expensive contracts and in the next sentence thinks he's pulled a masterstroke by giving one of our most anonymous players a fat 5 year contract.

Knob.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

^ this.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And imagine if he let Mark Davies go for nothing.

Fans would be behind that decision for sure.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:And imagine if he let Mark Davies go for nothing.

Fans would be behind that decision for sure.

There's a midway point Hipster, a 5 year contract for anyone at this level is madness, especially one who is anonymous 90% of the time.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't remember Marcos being that popular when he was here.

I do remember him being slagged to fuck rather often. 

This is just another stick to beat DF with IMO, even though we know the financial situation was to blame for his departure + the obvious problem of competing with the allure of Fiorentina

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't remember Marcos being that popular when he was here.

This is just another stick to beat DF with IMO, even though we know the financial situation was to blame for his departure + the obvious problem of competing with the allure of Fiorentina

Alonso was happy to stay, the club wouldn't offer him the small pay rise he deserved. Freedmans fault

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't remember Marcos being that popular when he was here.

Because he wasn't very good for the vast majority of his BWFC career.

And allegedly killed a girl in a drink-drive incident.

Not the sort of guy who should be popular really.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Because he wasn't very good for the vast majority of his BWFC career.

And allegedly killed a girl in a drink-drive incident.

Not the sort of guy who should be popular really.

Well i agree, I thought he was a real mixed bag tbh. But his name usually comes up when people are describing things DF got badly wrong.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

But his name usually comes up when people are describing things DF got badly wrong.

Fiorentina in Serie A or Bolton in the Championship. Not much Dougie can do about that to be fair.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:I love the way he subtly blames others for everything that went wrong, and announces the capture of Mark Davies as some sort of genius move.

Blames others for giving players long expensive contracts and in the next sentence thinks he's pulled a masterstroke by giving one of our most anonymous players a fat 5 year contract.

Knob.
A poor workman always blames a tool, and that tool is himself.

Boggersbelief wrote:

Alonso was happy to stay, the club wouldn't offer him the small pay rise he deserved. Freedmans fault

Heard this claim before, haven't seen anyone back it up though.

From what I've read Fiorentina offered to double his money. What sort of fool would turn that down?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I can't see it being a small pay rise, Fiorentina are one of the top teams in Italy - they could have easily doubled his wages.

Whatever he was offered here Fiorentina would have always had been able to beat it.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's a Chorizo chomper FFS. The climate in Italy, and the food, is on a par with Spain. He went to Fiorentina for the lifestyle and extra money.

Let's see how he copes in the north east at Sunderland. He is a decent player when going forward and at set pieces but he is nowhere near as good at defending.

I was at the Reebok the day Damien Duff ripped him a new arsehole and it was embarrassing. The Wanderers fans were screaming at Coyle to bring him off.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum