Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Davies talks about his time with Wolves

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Mark Davies is hoping it will be third time lucky this weekend when he makes a return to the club he started his professional career with.

The midfielder came through the ranks at Wolves, making 40 appearances for the West Midlands club before transferring to the Reebok Stadium in January 2009.

On Bolton's two previous visits to Molineux, Davies has been an unused substitute, however he is set to make a first appearance for the Whites at his old hunting ground this weekend.

And despite being grateful for the break that Wolves gave him during his youth, he says that he won't be repaying them with any favours come 3pm on Saturday.

Davies said: "I went on trial with Wolves when I was about seven-years-old, but they didn't want me at first. I went there again two months later and it was on the back of that in which they signed me.

"I was always playing two years above my age group, so when I was 12 I was playing for the Under-14s and when I was 14 I was with the Under-16s.

"Glenn Hoddle was the man who gave me my first team debut and I did well under him. He was good to be around, always positive and upbeat.

"I broke into the team at the start of the 2005/06 season and played about 20 odd matches that year. The following pre-season I was captain for one game - I was only about 18-years-old at that time so it was quite an achievement.

"I played about ten games that season but then I got injured. That was me sidelined for near enough two years, which was a horrible time. When I was back fit I was sent on loan to Leicester for nine matches before signing for Bolton.

"It will be good to go back this weekend because it's been about four years since I played there. I've been on the bench the last two years and not managed to get on.

"It's a big game for both clubs - I know a couple of the Wolves players like Matt Jarvis and Stephen Ward, and speaking to them, they are saying it is a 'must win' for them. We will have to match them and work hard in the first 20 minutes, but I'm confident we can get a good result.

"Everyone is in a positive frame of mind given our last two Premier League wins and the news that Fab is continuing to improve has put an extra spring in everyone's step."

Davies has been a regular in midfield for the Whites this season, scoring three times in 36 appearances in all competitions.

And after a quiet month by his own high standards, the 24-year-old feels that he is once again hitting some form.

He explained: "If I'm being honest, I'm now just starting to feel like I'm getting over my hamstring injury. I struggled with it for a while and I had to miss the Chelsea game last month because of it.

"I've been involved in four or five matches since and now I feel 100 percent again. It's a good time to be feeling fully fit because we've got a big end to the season ahead of us."

Nigel Reo-Coker and Darren Pratley have played alongside Davies in recent weeks, but with the latter set to spend a couple of weeks on the sidelines with a gash to the leg, Owen Coyle will have to adjust things in the centre of the park at Molineux.

One option that the Bolton boss has is to unleash Josh Vela, who was included in the matchday squads for both FA Cup matches against Tottenham Hotspur.

And if the youngster is given the nod to make his debut against Wolves, Davies is confident that the combative midfielder won't disappoint.

"Josh hasn't looked out of place when he has been training with us," he added. "You can see he has all the ability and determination to do well.

"He has been with our group for a few weeks now and is impressing all the time. He seems to be getting more confident amongst the lads as every day passes by."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Love interviews with him he's such a fantastic orator.

And on Vela seen him a few times and he's extremely combative, great energy but really gets stuck in, i mean i've seen him put in plenty of hairy tackles.

Not sure he's quite ready yet, but could do a lot worse than throwing him in!

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not a big fan of Vela to be honest. I watched him pre season and he didn't impress me. Rather have Tuncay in midfield to be honest.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Personally I've always preferred Blakeman, but clearly Coyle has Vela ahead of him.

I don't think Vela would be out of place against Wolves, he would be against anyone outside the bottom 6 though.. at the moment.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Virtually anyone is better than Knight.

HarveyKorman

HarveyKorman
David Ngog
David Ngog

Vela looks useful and has a hunger to do well. If given a run, I think he will play with no fear.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

HarveyKorman wrote:Vela looks useful and has a hunger to do well. If given a run, I think he will play with no fear.

Let's hope so.

P.S. Welcome aboard Harvey.

HarveyKorman

HarveyKorman
David Ngog
David Ngog

Thank you, Reebook Trotter. I love your hair. Do you use zinc oxide hair treatments too?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nope. Just a bit of brylcreem and I am good to go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum