Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

They Played for Both Sides - Brighton

+8
boltonbonce
wanderlust
rammywhite
Barryjw
Numpty 28723
Norpig
Reebok Trotter
karlypants
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1They Played for Both Sides - Brighton Empty They Played for Both Sides - Brighton Thu Mar 13 2014, 01:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can't find many who have been both a seagull and a trotter but these three have!

Frank Worthington

That Goal!

Worthington began his career as a forward for Huddersfield Town in 1966 before playing for Leicester City, Bolton Wanderers, Birmingham City, Leeds United, Sunderland, Southampton, Brighton and Hove Albion, Tranmere Rovers, Preston North End, Stockport County and Galway United. Worthington played into his 40s making 757 English League appearances and scoring 234 goals. He also played in the United States (with NASL teams Philadelphia Fury and Tampa Bay Rowdies), South Africa, Sweden and in English non-League football.[1]

Worthington's spell at Tranmere Rovers was as player-manager and although he had some success he did not return to management.

He showed flair and skill in his play and was always noticeable; he did not wear shin guards and his socks often fell to his ankles. Worthington also had the reputation for enjoying the high life. After his retirement from the game he turned to the after-dinner speaking circuit and also published his autobiography One Hump Or Two. The front cover featured a smiling Worthington, contemplating putting lumps of sugar in his cup of tea; the book title is a deliberate sexual pun.

You youngsters missed a real treat!

Neil McNab

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

McNab began his career in 1972 with Greenock Morton where he made 14 appearances before 1974, becoming the club's youngest ever professional. He was signed by Tottenham Hotspur and became their youngest ever first team player at the age 0f 16. He made 72 appearances for Spurs, scoring 3 goals. He played for the Scottish national team at the U-15, U-18 and U-21 levels.

In November 1978 he was transferred to Bolton Wanderers for a fee of £250,000, making 35 appearances and scoring 4 goals, before Brighton and Hove Albion acquired his services for the fee of £220,000 in February 1980. During 1982 he played in loan spells at Leeds United and Portsmouth.

Then in 1983 he signed for £35,000 for Manchester City with whom he stayed until 1990. He was arguably City's player of the eighties, being voted Player of the Year in both the 1986–87 and 1988–89 seasons. A skilful and very combative defensive midfielder, Neil inspired a young team to promotion from the Second Division in 1989. He played 221 league matches for City and scored 16 goals.

He left for Tranmere Rovers in January 1990 for £125,000, the third six-figure move of his career, and played over 100 first-team games for them, including two Leyland-DAF Cup finals at Wembley.

He subsequently also enjoyed spells playing for Huddersfield Town, Ayr United, Darlington, Derry City, Witton Albion, and the Long Island Rough Riders in the USA.

Keith Andrews

Andrews began his career as a trainee at Wolves, progressing from their academy to the first team. He made his senior debut on 18 March 2000 in a 2–1 win at Swindon.  He continued his progress with the First Division club in the 2000–01 season, becoming a regular player as Dave Jones took over midway through. He went on a loan spell at Oxford United, scoring once against Swansea City.  Back at Wolves, the final match of that season saw him become their youngest captain for more than a hundred years, at 21 years old, in a game against Queens Park Rangers.

He signed a new four-year deal the following season but found himself out of the starting line-up after several new midfielders were acquired in the summer, resigning him to the substitutes bench and sporadic appearances over the next few seasons. To gain playing time, he spent half of the 2003–04 season on loan at Stoke City and the latter half at Walsall, where he scored two league goals against Millwall and Ipswich Town. He did however return to Molineux in between to make his only Premier League appearance for Wolves (against Newcastle United).

The midfielder returned to Wolves' team post-relegation in 2004–05 and gained his most appearances for the club during that season. However, he moved on at the end of his contract to join Hull City. In total, he made 72 appearances for the Midlanders, scoring once in a League Cup tie at Rochdale.

His new start with the Hull saw him sidelined again though, as he picked up an injury in only his second appearance for the team – in a match against his previous team, Wolves. He returned to the team in December after nearly four months out and featured in all but one of their remaining fixtures in what proved to be his only season for the club.

After a single year at Hull, he moved to Milton Keynes Dons of League Two for the 2006–07 campaign where he became club captain. He lost out on promotion in the play-offs, despite scoring in the semi-final tie with Shrewsbury Town.

However, the next year, now under the managerialship of his former Wolves team-mate Paul Ince, brought Andrews success. He scored the winning goal in a match at Stockport County on 19 April 2008 that saw the club promoted to League One, and also scored the opening goal of their 2–0 victory over Grimsby Town with a penalty in the Football League Trophy at Wembley.  The season ended with him being voted into PFA Team of the Year and having already won the League Two Player of the Year Award at the Football League Awards. Andrews was then named at number 38 in a FourFourTwo poll of the top 50 football league players, as well as being named the best player in League 2.  MK Dons then had a fight on their hands to keep hold of their inspirational skipper with interest from a number of Premiership and Championship clubs. He featured in MK Dons's first three games of the 2008–09 season but then was sold to Blackburn Rovers managed by former manager Paul Ince.

Andrews ended a summer of speculation over his future when he completed a transfer to Premier League club Blackburn Rovers on 3 September 2008 in a three-year deal worth and rising up to £1m depending on appearances made for the football club over the coming years.  The move temporarily reunited him with his former MK Dons manager Paul Ince before he was sacked as Rovers manager. He made his debut as a substitute on 6 September 2008 against West Ham United, a game in which Blackburn lost 4–1. Andrews made his home debut against Arsenal, on his 28th birthday, Arsenal went on to win the match 4–0. He scored his first goal for Blackburn in the 90th minute during a 2–2 draw with West Bromwich Albion. Due to injuries sustained by first team regulars, Andrews had featured frequently for the Rovers first team, occupying a defensive central midfield role. In July 2009, Andrews signed a new four-year deal, which will see him contracted to Blackburn until 2013. On 25 September 2010, Andrews came on for Steven Nzonzi on 66 minutes against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road in a 2–1 win for his first game of the 2010–11 campaign.  The 2010–11 season was a frustrating one for Andrews as he only made six appearances in all competitions for Rovers due to injury.

Andrews agreed to a six-month loan move to Ipswich Town on 12 August 2011.  This loan includes an option to buy the player permanently.  A day later he made his debut in a 1–0 loss to Hull City and then 3 days later his first goal came against Southampton. This was followed by goals against Peterborough United and Leeds United. Steve Kean, the head coach of Blackburn Rovers, hinted that Andrews' may return to his parent club in January 2012, after a successful loan spell with Ipswich. This was contrary to Andrews' ambitions, who when responding to reports that Paul Jewell, the then Ipswich head coach, wanted to sign him on a permanent deal, stated in an interview with the BBC that, "I don't particularly like the way I was treated at the club [Blackburn]. Not just the manager, the club in general".

Andrews completed a late deadline day (31 January 2012) free transfer to Albion, after handing in a transfer request at Blackburn. Andrews signed a six month contract. On 12 February, Andrews scored his first goal for West Brom and their fourth against former club Wolves in a 5–1 win.  Andrews then made it two goals in two appearances as he scored Albion's fourth in a 4–0 victory over Sunderland two weeks later. Andrews then made it three wins in three appearances as he produced another solid performance in the 1–0 win over Chelsea.

Andrews become a free agent as his West Brom contract ended at the end of the season.

Andrews signed for newly relegated Football League Championship club Bolton Wanderers on 29 June 2012 after agreeing a three-year contract.  He made his debut on 18 August in the away game at Burnley and on 22 December he scored his first goals for Bolton scoring twice from the penalty spot in their 5–4 defeat against Peterborough United.

Following the permanent signing of Jay Spearing, Andrews first-team place at Bolton was no longer assured. On 9 August 2013, Andrews signed a season-long loan deal at fellow Championship club Brighton & Hove Albion.  He scored his first goal for Brighton in a 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday on 1 October 2013.

Somehow I doubt we will see him in a Bolton shirt again - but you never know!

The only other player I could find to play for both clubs was one for the oldies amongst us - John Napier.

So I might as well chuck in his details too -

John Napier

Stood to the left of Eddie Hopkinson as you view the picture.

Napier began his career in September 1963 playing for the Bolton Wanderers, where he played until 1967, when he was transferred to Brighton & Hove Albion for £25,000. He played until 1972 playing more than 200 games including two seasons as ever-present. In 1972, he was transferred to Bradford City for a record-equalling £10,000. He spent six seasons at Valley Parade interspersed with spells in America at Baltimore Comets and the same team after they became San Diego Jaws, and also at Mossley. In all he played more than 100 games at City, and served as manager, and assistant coach.

If anyone has made it this far, here is a bit of trivia as your reward.  On 21st August 1965, Keith Peacock of Charlton Athletic became the first substitute used in the Football League when he replaced injured goalkeeper Mike Rose eleven minutes into their away match against Bolton Wanderers.  John Napier played in this game!

Happy days!

Author: Sluffy

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember Neil McNab. He was a gritty midfielder who we sold far too soon. If we had kept him at Bolton I reckon he would have achieved legendary status.
Small in stature but hard as nails. His best position was sitting in front of the back four.

Worthy needs no introduction!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

remember Stuart Storer and his dody tache? He played for both teams, can't think of anyone else though.

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Where Frankie's concerned it's easier to list the clubs he didn't play for.

Even at the end of his career, when he was playing in midfield for Southampton, there was talk of him signing for Man U - he actually turned out for them in a few friendly games at the time.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Brian Bromley

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reebok Trotter wrote:I remember Neil McNab. He was a gritty midfielder who we sold far too soon.  If we had kept him at Bolton I reckon he would have achieved legendary status.
Small in stature but hard as nails. His best position was sitting in front of the back four.

Worthy needs no introduction!

Didn't he get sent off for a full scale fist fight with someone. My memory fails me here- but I think it was against another short arse who played for Burnley?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You could be right Rammy. McNab wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reebok Trotter wrote:You could be right Rammy. McNab wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

I think it was Brian Flynn. Any body remember it?
It was the days when players could have a really good punch up on the pitch- much to the delight of the spectators.
And they didn't always get sent off!!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barryjw wrote:Brian Bromley
He was a decent midfielder. I'd forgotten about him.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember Brian Bromley well. Always good for a couple of complimentary tickets. Nice fella.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:
If memory serves didn't he captain Brighton to promotion to the old first division. A terrific inside forward playing for us along side Freddie Hill, Wyn Davies, Franny Lee and Gordon Taylor.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Barryjw wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
If memory serves didn't he captain Brighton to promotion to the old first division. A terrific inside forward playing for us along side Freddie Hill, Wyn Davies, Franny Lee and Gordon Taylor.

...and don't forget Syd Farrimond and Warwick Rimmer

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

rammywhite wrote:
Barryjw wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

...and don't forget Syd Farrimond and Warwick Rimmer
I was just quoting the usual forward line but hey ho why not mention the rest. Roy Hartle, Bryan Edwards, Dave Hatton and Eddie Hopkinson not to mention the bit part reserves who played around that time

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Roy Greaves time overlapped with BB.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:Roy Greaves time overlapped with BB.
Seem to remember Roy starting as a striker even scoring a hat trick against Sheffield United (or was it Plymouth Argyle?) before moving into midfield.
 Players in that era included Charlie Cooper, Arthur Marsh, Dave Lennard, Dennis Butler and Billy Russell.
Although a little earlier does anybody remember seeing Barry Fry in his short stop a the club?

Sorry to have gone completely off subject - just got carried away reminscing, I'll shut up now

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Think Fry scored 1 goal for us,and if I'm not mistaken it was against Man City.

For a change, I actually feel quite young on here for a change........ Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:For a change, I actually feel quite young on here for a change........ Very Happy
Are the majority members not young? Very Happy

I went past the greenhalgh's factory today and it made me think of you!

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Brom is on that team picture, second right front between Hartle and Rimmer.
Greaves started as number 9.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just thought people might find a little bit sad in view of the chat about Brian Bromley (I remember him being at Bolton but can't remember seeing him play).

It was posted on The Wanderer forum on 10th March, 2012 -

Hi guys, Birmingham fan living in Pompey here to give you guys some sad news about an ex-player of yours.

Brian Bromley, who I believe played for you in the early - mid 60's (and also for Pompey) passed away in Southampton General Hospital yesterday.

After leaving the football scene, he did what many ex-playersof that era did and became a Publican in the Portsmouth area.

For as long as I've lived down here, he's been a regular in all of the local pubs, sitting quietly, mostly un noticed by the majority of the other punters.

I saw Bromley (everyone calls him that) very regularly over the past 10 years or so.

Always had a little chat or a quick "Hello". When I first started chatting to him, I didn't know he was an ex-player. In fact, he never once mentioned the fact to me.

Was told this news last night by some of the guys in the local social club where I am a member and Bromley worked as a bar man off and on for some time.

On Tuesday, he looked very ill and was advised by a friend of mine to go home. He was back in the club on Wednesday and looked even worse. He was taken to the QA in Portsmouth on Wednesday and transfered to Southampton on Thursday.

He passed away on Friday in the hospital. He was 65 years old.

Brian was the Best man at ex-Birmingham and now PFA secretary Gordan Taylor's wedding, as well as being friends with many other ex-footballers from the 60's and 70's.

No details of funeral yet, but it is 99% certain that it will be at Portchester Crem, just outside Pompey.

A nice bloke who will be missed in the Portchester area

RIP Bromley

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum