Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The return of the threepenny bit!

+5
Reebok_Rebel
Soul Kitchen
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
Sluffy
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The return of the threepenny bit! Empty The return of the threepenny bit! Tue Mar 18 2014, 23:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Can you youngsters even pronounce 'threepenny' correctly?

Anyway it is now worth a pound in today's money!

The return of the threepenny bit! _73667988_73667987

A new £1 coin, modelled on the old threepenny bit, is set to be introduced in 2017 to combat counterfeiting.

The Royal Mint, which believes 3% of existing £1 coins are fake, said the move would increase "public confidence" in the UK's currency and reduce costs for banks and other businesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26632863

2The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Tue Mar 18 2014, 23:03

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Can you youngsters even pronounce 'threepenny' correctly?

Anyway it is now worth a pound in today's money!

The return of the threepenny bit! _73667988_73667987

A new £1 coin, modelled on the old threepenny bit, is set to be introduced in 2017 to combat counterfeiting.

The Royal Mint, which believes 3% of existing £1 coins are fake, said the move would increase "public confidence" in the UK's currency and reduce costs for banks and other businesses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26632863
My grandad still has an asda bag full of threepenny bit's, god knows why  scratch

3The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Tue Mar 18 2014, 23:25

....and it brings back a fantastic rhyming colloquialism for jugs.

Well played, that Mint.

It's pronounced "threppn'y bit" by the way, kids.

(Christ, that was hard to spell phonetically......I had three goes and I'm still not sure I've captured it.)

4The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 00:10

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:....and it brings back a fantastic rhyming colloquialism for jugs.

Well played, that Mint.

(Christ, that was hard to spell phonetically......I had three goes and I'm still not sure I've captured it.)

frep-knee-bit  Smile 

5The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 00:55

BoltonTillIDie wrote:
Breadman wrote:....and it brings back a fantastic rhyming colloquialism for jugs.

Well played, that Mint.

frep-knee-bit  Smile 
Ooh, ya bastard!

I had three goes at that and thought I'd nailed it.....

Well played, sir...... Very Happy

6The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 07:58

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Threpny bit, howzat?

7The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 09:38

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

fur-reppanay-bit...  :whistle: 

8The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 10:24

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I would have done it the same was as Soul!

Although I was born in the year of the decimalisation so don't really know the "threpny bit" but heard about it from the elder members of the family!

9The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 10:55

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thruppenny bits were great - you could stand them on edge, draw round them with a pencil and because of their low value, extra weight and bumpy edges they were ace for throwing at football matches.

10The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 15:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:Thruppenny bits were great - you could stand them on edge, draw round them with a pencil and because of their low value, extra weight and bumpy edges they were ace for throwing at football matches.
Throwing at football matches? You could buy a Ferrari for 3d when I was a lad.

11The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 16:48

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:

Yes but you couldn't throw one at a football match.

12The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 17:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Yes but you couldn't throw one at a football match.
I can't even lift a Ferrari these days, never mind chuck one.

13The return of the threepenny bit! Empty Re: The return of the threepenny bit! Wed Mar 19 2014, 17:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum