Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A bit random but.....

+3
xmiles
Culcheth_White
scottjames30
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A bit random but..... Empty A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:29

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why did we sell our captain '' at the time of sale''  Kevin Nolan to Newcastle for £ 4 Million?

The Midfielder that can score goals from outside the box.'' yes him ''.

We sell him and spend £ 4 Million on the likes of Ngog, what's behind the thinking, please enlighten me.

2A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:35

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It was a strange one, as I don't think Nolan fell out with Megson. I can only presume it was purely down to a financial decision. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:39

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Nolan's form was poor at the time and most of us probably thought £4m was worth taking in January 2009. His recent form after joining Allardyce at West Ham has been impressive but maybe the link with Allardyce is at least part of the explanation.

The purchase of Ngog over two years later by that idiot Coyle was a completely separate matter.

4A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:40

I had no problem with the Nolan sale at the time, he had looked poor for a good couple of years. Playing off a target man he's useful but if you play him in central midfield as we often did he's absolutely useless can't pass, tackle or run.

5A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:45

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Look at the season he had for Newcastle, after we had sold him though, wasn't he player of the season, scoring the most goals too?

Was that in the Championship? when they won the league to promotion?

6A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:48

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't know why Bolton fans can't get over this, selling Nolan was a great bit of business for us.

I remember the day Newcastle made the bid, I was like "What's going on? Are they mad?"

He wasn't worth £4m at the time (bare in mind £4m was worth more then than it is now), not to mention his wages. He had really lost his way. Even at Newcastle and West Ham, there have been periods where he's been really unpopular, despite that he gets a lot of goals for a midfielder.

7A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 18:52

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

£4million at the time and his form back then was a good bit of business, he hasn't played that great since he came back up with Newcastle and moved to West Ham.

For all Megsons faults his transfer dealings were much better than any manager after Big sam IMO.

8A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:13

I think Megson's transfers were erratic at best, he did well with Cahill and Lee but really overpaid for Muamba, Elmander and Knight. We all know how poorly Coyle worked on a budget but Dougie seems to be able to pick out some bargains, given some funds for permanent transfers I think he'll get good value. It's getting the best out of them which will be the issue.

9A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:16

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I think Megson's transfers were erratic at best, he did well with Cahill and Lee but really overpaid for Muamba, Elmander and Knight. We all know how poorly Coyle worked on a budget but Dougie seems to be able to pick out some bargains, given some funds for permanent transfers I think he'll get good value. It's getting the best out of them which will be the issue.

Muamba was the best worker we've ever had at BWFC, had he not collapsed against Spurs, we wouldn't of been relegated .

He was the most influential player we had at the time, worth every penny.

10A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:19

Muamba was a good player but not worth £6 million in my opinion.

11A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:20

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Muamba was a good player but not worth £6 million in my opinion.

I agree, around £8 Million at the time, he carried the team on his own.

12A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:29

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Serious question. Was Muamba who cost just over £5 million any better than say Medo who cost around 500K and Spearing who cost around £1.5 million?

13A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:36

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Tackling aside, there was nothing of any use to Muamba's game.
Sometimes, he was worth having in the team for his tackling alone, sometimes not.

There were times where he just got in the way of us playing, because his passing was poor, his ball control was woeful and his shooting was abominable.

He was still quite young when he retired, maybe he'd have gone on to be more consistent and we'd have at least made our money back.

14A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:37

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:Serious question. Was Muamba who cost just over £5 million any better than say Medo who cost around 500K and Spearing who cost around £1.5 million?

When we didn't have the ball, yes.

15A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 19:58

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nolan was in horrrrrrrific form for almost 2 years before we sold him. Right time to sell him and a good bit of business considering the "product" he was putting out there at the time. 

Muamba was a ball hawk and a good one too but we overpayed big time for him.

3 million 3.5 million he'd have been a bargain.

16A bit random but..... Empty Re: A bit random but..... Sun Mar 30 2014, 20:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Why did we sell our captain '' at the time of sale''  Kevin Nolan to Newcastle for £ 4 Million?

The Midfielder that can score goals from outside the box.'' yes him ''.

We sell him and spend £ 4 Million on the likes of Ngog, what's behind the thinking, please enlighten me.

Because he was absolute crap at the time - £5m was a crazy price for an overweight, out of form player. Great business at the time, shame we wasted the cash.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum