Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alonso to start next game...

+3
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
jayjay23
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alonso to start next game... Empty Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 19:39

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Will Coyle start Marcos Alonso for the Fulham game? And should he? Personally I think we look more solid at the back when Ricketts plays on the left and Steinsson on the right. We have the added luxury of Tyrone Mears being back from injury too.
So would it be a mistake to give Alsono, "the best player on the pitch at Blackburn" another start?

Click Lacashire Article...

Bolton Wanderers boss Owen Coyle has hailed the performance of Marcos Alonso in the weekend win at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Alonso struck his first goal for the club in the crucial victory.

“There’s no question about Marcos in terms of being comfortable on the ball, going forward and keeping it because he was in a Real Madrid team that kept 80 per cent possession in every game,” Coyle told the Bolton News.

“The challenge we have is making him a more natural defender. I think he’s improving on that.

“It’s a learning curve for him and it has been stop-start because of injuries. But like all the young players we have in the squad, Marcos is getting better.

“At Blackburn he was the best player on the pitch and I’ve said to him, it’s up to him how far he wants to go in the game.

“I can try and guide him and pass on experience or football knowledge but when he crosses the white line it’s down to him. He’s got to deliver in a football sense and I think he’s now grasped that.”

2Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 19:43

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought he played quite well, honestly i think Kightly was the best player on the pitch.

Like Coyle says he has to work on his defensive positioning but coming forward he's got the ability to take a man on and a decent cross on him.

Be nice to see him develop into a Assou Ekotto type, with that sort of dynamism.

3Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 19:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's a decent player, but way too slow to be any use at this level. It would be suicide to play him if we have other options.

4Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 19:56

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He isn't actually slow, it's his positioning that gets him into all sorts of trouble.

I'm not saying he's Usain Bolt, but he's not Kevin Davies either.

5Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 20:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:He isn't actually slow, it's his positioning that gets him into all sorts of trouble.

I'm not saying he's Usain Bolt, but he's not Kevin Davies either.

He's slow, bloody slow. When I was at the Blackburn game a few weeks back I was walking back to my seat holding a jumbo hotdog and Coke and I overtook Alonso even though he was chasing Holiett.

6Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 20:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thats a lie but yes, Junior Hoilett can make a lot of people look slow.

7Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 20:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Thats a lie but yes, Junior Hoilett can make a lot of people look slow.

I'm sick of you calling me a liar. I'm reporting you to the mods.

8Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 20:04

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think Coyle says Alonso was the best player on the pitch at Blackburn, which was his last game before his latest injury, in December. The one that put them bottom at Christmas, ha ha.

Alonso was fantastic in that game.

9Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 20:06

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I think Coyle says Alonso was the best player on the pitch at Blackburn, which was his last game before his latest injury, in December. The one that put them bottom at Christmas, ha ha.

oh yeah.. i didn't read it properly and just assumed he meant wolves.

As for Nat, don't lie and i won't have to call you a liar.

10Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Wed Apr 04 2012, 21:04

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

largehat wrote:I think Coyle says Alonso was the best player on the pitch at Blackburn, which was his last game before his latest injury, in December. The one that put them bottom at Christmas, ha ha.

Well spotted. I assumed he meant Blackburn in the game just gone. Memory now tells me he didn't even play. Stupid Click Lancs.

11Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alonso has a lot of maturing to do, especially defensively. Reminds me of Ricardo in some respects. Bit disappointed that Real Madrid didn't drill defensive duties into him as a kid, but I guess they're one of those clubs who feel that kids should focus on ball skills until they're 18 or so.
We should all chip in to send him a copy of the Full Monty so he can learn about working as part of a back 4 and the offside rule. Right now he has the positional sense of Lord Lucan.

12Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Fri Apr 06 2012, 23:05

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote: Bit disappointed that Real Madrid didn't drill defensive duties into him as a kid, but I guess they're one of those clubs who feel that kids should focus on ball skills until they're 18 or so.

Pretty much the same as we are starting to emulate at the youth level now then?

13Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Fri Apr 06 2012, 23:10

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I thought he was all over the place against Wolves but he's going to get no better playing in the reserves and sitting it out on the bench.
He needs time to get used to the pace of the Prem.

I'd play him tomorrow. Shift Ricketts into the centre, put Ream into central midfield and go 4-5-1.

14Alonso to start next game... Empty Re: Alonso to start next game... Mon Apr 09 2012, 07:44

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

doffcocker wrote:I thought he was all over the place against Wolves but he's going to get no better playing in the reserves and sitting it out on the bench.
He needs time to get used to the pace of the Prem.

I'd play him tomorrow. Shift Ricketts into the centre, put Ream into central midfield and go 4-5-1.

not so good in hindsight

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum