Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Late neet haunts ?

+8
BoltonTillIDie
bwfc71
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
MartinBWFC
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Late neet haunts ? Empty Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:33 am

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So where were your bird poaching haunts back in the day ? mine were Blightys, Scamps, Maxwells plum, and ahem, Bus inn, some proper slappers them days, which rightly or wrongly I preferred, wheres your memories ?

2Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:So where were your bird poaching haunts back in the day ? mine were Blightys, Scamps, Maxwells plum, and ahem, Bus inn, some proper slappers them days, which rightly or wrongly I preferred, wheres your memories ?
All of the above at one stage of my life but there were plenty others in and around Bolton in the 70s. I seem to think there was even a club of some sorts above the Trotter pub across the road from where the Queens cinema used to be. Plus there were lots of little venues to see bands. Was a regular at BIT too for a while.

3Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:29 am

Pink Panther's, Crown & Flick-knife, Taskers, Ritzy's (Grab A Granny Thursdays), Bergeracs, The Bantry, Astley's, High Society, 5th Avenue.

Christ, reading that list, I've just realised that I'm a scrote........

4Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:54 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:some proper slappers them days, which rightly or wrongly I preferred

You preferred slappers because it was all you could get.

5Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:So where were your bird poaching haunts back in the day ? mine were Blightys, Scamps, Maxwells plum, and ahem, Bus inn, some proper slappers them days, which rightly or wrongly I preferred, wheres your memories ?
All of the above at one stage of my life but there were plenty others in and around Bolton in the 70s. I seem to think there was even a club of some sorts above the Trotter pub across the road from where the Queens cinema used to be. Plus there were lots of little venues to see bands. Was a regular at BIT too for a while.
Did you go to BIT the night Vinegar Joe were on? Who'd have thought then that they would split up and Elkie Brooks and Bob Palmer would go on to bigger things?

6Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:Pink Panther's, Crown & Flick-knife, Taskers, Ritzy's (Grab A Granny Thursdays), Bergeracs, The Bantry, Astley's, High Society, 5th Avenue.

Christ, reading that list, I've just realised that I'm a scrote........
Not quite, but you are well on your way!  Wink

7Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There was a disco beneath the DHS in Howell Croft that used to have Students night on Thursdays. A few scoops in the Wheatsheaf and the Griffin then down there for half ten, free entrance on the union card. Born to be Wild kicked the proceedings off and by two it was throwing out time. 
A few hours later it was off to work then BIT Saturday and Church, Inn that is, pre Freddie days, on Sunday.
There used to be a folk club round the back of the old fire station on Sunday nights also, Mike Harding appeared regularly, then tucked up in bed at 11pm to start the week again.
Happy days!!!

8Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pips, Scamps and Maxwells Plum for me. Used to start off in the Painters Arms beforehand. Occasionally the Bees Knees and the Aquarius Club.

In later years, Cinderella Rockerfellas and the Bantry Club and the occasional pint in the Gilnow Arms when Baz Winnard ran it.

Where was Blightys? The name rings a bell but I can't place it.

In the early eighties the Star and Garter was the place to be seen in..................not.

9Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Soul Kitchen wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Did you go to BIT the night Vinegar Joe were on? Who'd have thought then that they would split up and Elkie Brooks and Bob Palmer would go on to bigger things?

It was just a bar in the pub that had disco nights - I was a bit of a regular there back in the day.

You can also add Pips (was Va Va's) and the Bees Knees to the list too!

Happy days.

10Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:There was a disco beneath the DHS in Howell Croft that used to have Students night on Thursdays. A few scoops in the Wheatsheaf and the Griffin then down there for half ten, free entrance on the union card.
Happy days!!!

That was either Pips or Scamps but I can't remember which. (I'll go with Pips.) They had a couple of black doormen called Rudy and Oliver.

11Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone old enough to remember the Empress Club? My parents met there.

12Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy, I'm talking 72-73 ish. Forget what it was called, it was at the back of the Wheatsheaf in Howell Croft, not a pub. Where was VaVa?

13Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Blighty's - Farnworth - had groups on - like Batley Variety club.

Star and Garter - used to do Saturday work as a kid at Bridge Street Co-op and nipped into there for lunch most times - got quite a shock a few years later when I called in for old times sake and found the place somewhat different than how I remembered it!

14Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Never went to Empress but remember it being there in Mealhouse Lane. It finished up as Spennys if I remember correctly?

15Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:Blighty's - Farnworth - had groups on - like Batley Variety club.

Star and Garter - used to do Saturday work as a kid at Bridge Street Co-op and nipped into there for lunch most times - got quite a shock a few years later when I called in for old times sake and found the place somewhat different than how I remembered it!
You mean the gender messing? Very Happy

16Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Soul Kitchen wrote:Sluffy, I'm talking 72-73 ish. Forget what it was called, it was at the back of the Wheatsheaf in Howell Croft, not a pub. Where was VaVa?

Yes, so am I.

Va Va is the place you are describing - turned into Pips then later Space City.

You had to go down a flight of stairs to the basement to get in the club.

Empress - yes, went once but spent loads of time in it when it was John Spencers place.

17Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:There was a disco beneath the DHS in Howell Croft that used to have Students night on Thursdays. A few scoops in the Wheatsheaf and the Griffin then down there for half ten, free entrance on the union card.
Happy days!!!

That was either Pips or Scamps but I can't remember which. (I'll go with Pips.) They had a couple of black doormen called Rudy and Oliver.
Wasn't Scamps on Bradshawgate next to the pictures?

I remember seeing the sign outside with a bird in a string vest when I was a kid in the mid 70's and I always wondered what went on inside....

18Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

I remember seeing the sign outside with a bird in a string vest when I was a kid in the mid 70's and I always wondered what went on inside....

It was indeed. Big Sam and Reidy used to frequent the club on a Saturday night after a home game.

19Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Blighty's - Farnworth - had groups on - like Batley Variety club.

You mean the gender messing? Very Happy

Yes, exactly!

Don't know what had happened in the meantime - I guess there must have been a change in landlord and he must have had a following - so to speak.

Used to go to the college on Folds Road for day release when I first started work, became a bit of a regular in the Lord Clyde if anybody can remember it - I don't think I was the only student to find my way in there!

Last edited by Sluffy on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

20Late neet haunts ? Empty Re: Late neet haunts ? Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Breadman wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
Happy days!!!

Very well remembered - I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it.

They did have strippers on pre home matches at one time but it was really just a normal disco mostly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum