Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Official: Chris Herd joins on loan from Aston Villa

+7
Bollotom2014
wanderlust
Barryjw
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
karlypants
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers have completed the signing of Aston Villa’s Chris Herd on loan until November 8.

The versatile 25-year-old goes straight into the Bolton first team squad and is eligible for Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup tie away at Chelsea.

A recently-capped Australian international, Herd has previously played at full-back and in the middle of midfield for Aston Villa.

He moved to Villa in 2005 from Perth, Australia, and has since gone on to make a total of 42 appearances in all competitions for the club.

Herd also experienced first team football whilst out on loan at Port Vale, Wycombe and Lincoln.

He will wear shirt number 29 during his time at Bolton.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i fail to see what the point of this is, he's not played for Villa for a while and i can't see the benefit especially with Dougie's recent comments about having too many loan players.
Put your money where your mouth is Dougie and give the young players a go. I would much rather see the likes of Threlkeld, White and Kellett in the team than another short term loan player.

You said the same about Juke Norpig, why don't you wait and see what Herd offers first?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Crazy signing, he has absolutely no pedigree - 42 games for Villa in 9 years, Mark Davies probably has more games under his belt.

Then loaned out to Port Vale, Wycombe & Lincoln where he did bugger all.

This smacks of desperation.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:You said the same about Juke Norpig, why don't you wait and see what Herd offers first?

Juke was signed for a position we had struggled with.

I'm sure even you can agree we are top heavy with midfielders.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

But he can play at the back too? Lets wait and see what DF thinks is his best position first.

Of course it's desperation, we've been knocked back for countless players over the summer because we can't afford them. Premier league rejects is about the best it will get.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:You said the same about Juke Norpig, why don't you wait and see what Herd offers first?

Its not really about Herd, he may be a great player who knows? Its more to do with the short term loan and the message its sends out to the young players that bothers me.
Yes i did question Juke when he arrived i freely admit that and i as well as lots of others on here were proved wrong.

We're struggling to get results, we clearly need quality all over the field. I don't see how signing a player at this point should be viewed as a negative.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:We're struggling to get results, we clearly need quality all over the field. I don't see how signing a player at this point should be viewed as a negative.

Because you can only have so many loan players in your squad and we have bigger problems in defence and attack.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

but again its a short term loan, something Dougie only a couple of days ago was saying is a factor in our poor performances and that he can't field a settled team.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:We're struggling to get results, we clearly need quality all over the field. I don't see how signing a player at this point should be viewed as a negative.

Because you can only have so many loan players in your squad and we have bigger problems in defence and attack.

but this guy can play at the back? Or are you just ignoring that.

Maybe he doesn't see him at the back, granted, but you can't rule that out until he plays.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

but this guy can play at the back? Or are you just ignoring that.

Maybe he doesn't see him at the back, granted, but you can't rule that out until he plays.

You say he can play at the back - but when did he last do so?

Even ignoring that question, if he wanted to sign a defender he should have loaned in a defender, not a midfielder who can play in defence.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well it's just getting someone with versatility isn't it. Tim Ream is the same, allows you to move people about.

I know as much about him as you Nat - nothing. I'm just reading his profile and a couple of tweets from Villa fans.

I've seen him play for Villa a couple of times, worked hard but not quite quick enough for the prem. Could easily do a job for us though, it's hard to say without seeing him in the side.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

We've heard Dougies complaint about his failure to turn out a settled team hindered by loan players returning to their parent clubs and suspect this is non other than a back handed criticism of the board failing to support him in the transfer market. e.g. Juke,Dawson etc.
Was he mislead by PG before accepting the appointment?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barryjw wrote:We've heard Dougies complaint about his failure to turn out a settled team hindered by loan players returning to their parent clubs and suspect this is non other than a back handed criticism of the board failing to support him in the transfer market. e.g. Juke,Dawson etc.
Was he mislead by PG before accepting the appointment?
I think you may be right Barry. The list of players he identified but was not backed to get was extensive so he was forced into the loan market.

Now some people are complaining that "it's another loan" - well that's the only option he has now so why whinge about it as if it's what Dougie wanted? We don't like it and Dougie has made it clear he doesn't like it but there is no other choice.

As for Herd - he's a utility player who plays on the right with loads of experience at right back and I suspect that's where he'll be used until the walking wounded are available again.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

but he does have another choice, the young players he's keen to talk up but never actually plays them. As i said before what kind of message does this send to them?

It sends the message of - you're not ready for the first team.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:It sends the message of - you're not ready for the first team.

come on how much worse can it get? give them a go, if they never get a chance we will never know if they are good enough.
The way the clubs finances are we are going to have to rely more ane more on bringing through our own young players even if its just solely for selling on at a profit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum