Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do certain managers fit certain clubs?

+2
Natasha Whittam
Bwfc1958
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Could Bruce Rioch come back to Bolton and turn things around even though he's been out of English football for some time now? Completely different people at the club from top to bottom and a different stadium to boot. Would he just fit the club automatically? Maybe he could unite the fans and club once more? Even though deluded Douglas is tactically inept could he go back to palace and carry on their good work as his face just fits? Thought I would seek the opinion of all you fine folks on here. For the record I think it's possible......do you?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:Could Bruce Rioch come back to Bolton and turn things around even though he's been out of English football for some time now? Completely different people at the club from top to bottom and a different stadium to boot. Would he just fit the club automatically? Maybe he could unite the fans and club once more? Even though deluded Douglas is tactically inept could he go back to palace and carry on their good work as his face just fits? Thought I would seek the opinion of all you fine folks on here. For the record I think it's possible......do you?

I certainly think a big percentage of managers find a club where everything clicks for them - and unfortunately this one success seems to get them a career in management.

Coyle did well at Burnley but was a disaster at Bolton and Wigan for example.

However, I don't think many mangers return to their old club to continue the same sort of success they'd had previously. Not to say it can't happen, but personally I'd be looking elsewhere for our next manager.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hello and welcome 58.

No I don't think so.

I think 'things' change and evolve over time - not just football, most things.

I don't think Rioch could relate to 'modern' means and methods and probably more importantly I don't think today's average footballer would be able to relate to someone from such a different generation, with different core values and culture.

The world's moved on from Rioch's day (not necessarily always in a good way - but moved on it as).

I hope you like it on Nuts with us mate and decide to stick around.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:Could Bruce Rioch come back to Bolton and turn things around even though he's been out of English football for some time now? Completely different people at the club from top to bottom and a different stadium to boot. Would he just fit the club automatically? Maybe he could unite the fans and club once more? Even though deluded Douglas is tactically inept could he go back to palace and carry on their good work as his face just fits? Thought I would seek the opinion of all you fine folks on here. For the record I think it's possible......do you?

Welcome aboard 58. It's interesting that you mention Bruce Rioch! I had the pleasure of attending a Sportsman's evening not that long ago and Super John McGinlay was the guest speaker. This is what he had to say about Bruce.

Q: Bruce Rioch was a great manager at Bolton. What have you got to say about Bruce?

A: He replied that when he transferred from Millwall that Bruce used to frighten him. He always felt intimidated by Bruce and he said that if you were ever sat down or slouching about, you sat to attention as soon as he walked in the room. He had this aura and presence about him and he believed in discipline. He used to instil in young players how they were privileged to be professional footballers and that they must maintain high standards. Players were expected to be clean shaven and two and three day stubble would not be tolerated. You could have long hair but it had to be neat and tidy. The dress code was either a suit, smart trousers and collared shirt or a Bolton tracksuit. No jeans or T shirts. Bruce always drummed into them that they represented Bolton Wanderers 24 hours a day. He was firm but fair and the players respected him. It was his work ethic that galvanised the team and made them what they were. He said he was sorry to see Bruce go to Arsenal but he didn't blame him because they are a massive club, but he often wonders how things would have turned out had Bruce stayed.

He then went on to say that the problem with a lot of managers today is that they are too proud to pick up a phone and ask for help or advice. He said that Owen Coyle and Dougie could do a lot worse than picking up the phone and having a chat with Bruce and that if he was a manager the first person he would ring for advice would be Bruce. He then said that with the amount of managers in the modern game today it was crazy that someone with Bruce's knowledge wasn't managing somewhere. He ended by saying that he has spoken to Bruce a few times since their Bolton days but he cannot call him Bruce. He always calls him Boss and always will because he has nothing but the utmost respect for the man.

Bruce Rioch had instilled a togetherness within the team with an 'all for one and one for all' mindset. Whatever the team did they all did it together. Whether it be a day at the races or a round of golf, and this bond carried itself onto the pitch.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here is what he thought about Dougie:

Q: Do you think that Dougie Freedman is the right manager to take the club forward or is it time for a change of manager?

A: He responded by saying that he had been to a large number of games this season as well as working for Tower FM. He fully accepted that the financial situation was grim but that he was completely baffled by some of Dougies tactical decisions which he couldn't understand. He cited the Bournemouth game earlier in the day where at 2-1 up Mark Davies was substituted for Medo. He couldn't see the logic in bringing off an attack minded midfielder for a defensive midfielder just to shore up the game. In his view we should have gone on to try and score a third goal rather than try and hold out for 3 points. The fact that we were playing at home should have spurred us on for more goals rather than sitting back and inviting Bournemouth to come at us.

He then mentioned how Wolves were relegated from the Championship last year when many people thought they were favourites for promotion and that our current position was no different. He had genuine concerns that if we ended up in a relegation dogfight with one only or two points in it, whether the squad were up for the fight and whether Dougie's tactics would be enough. He ended up by saying that in his opinion it WAS time for a change.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Thanks sluffy the welcome is much appreciated. Although Natasha and your good self think it unlikely, surely the core principles of football remain the same. Even though more and more money is involved and is for the most part a business led game rather than a working class passion, motivation, man management, and straightforward tactics players can understand can still surely prevail. Mcginlay as assistant perhaps?
Funnily enough trotter I have not long ago read that exact same story as told by super john on the manny road webpage which is when I myself began to think about this topic. SJ certainly paints the picture of a no nonsense and well respected manager who could put fear into players with a well timed facial expression. Maybe I'm an idealist and the overpaid players of today would just not respond to it well, but worth a try I think.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bruce is only 67 but hasn't managed since 2008. Fwiw I think he could do a damn site better than some of the current crop doing the managerial merry go round.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Couldn't agree more. Maybe PG should make a call

I wouldn't want Rioch back in sole charge, he's too old.

However, I wouldn't be averse to him coming in to mentor a younger manager.

Jimmy Philips perhaps.......?

Pevensey Pete

Pevensey Pete
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I think Steve Bruce would do a fair job.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Of course he would but would you leave hull for Bolton if you were him......no, me neither

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've said it before, it's time for a female manager. It's not like the blokes are making a decent fist of it.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I've said it before, it's time for a female manager. It's not like the blokes are making a decent fist of it.

Cherie Lunghi ? Joan Collins ?  Both far too old.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Cherie Lunghi ? Joan Collins ?  Both far too old.

Shelley Kerr would be better than Dougie.

Breadman wrote:I wouldn't want Rioch back in sole charge, he's too old.

Actually think that's a fair shout. I'd take Phillips but I'd want him to have an experienced assistant - Sammy Lee would have been perfect.

God knows who we'd appoint otherwise, it's a mess and if you look at Wolves situation when they got relegated to League 1 they ended up with Dean Saunders and we're an even less attractive proposition than they were.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:
Breadman wrote:I wouldn't want Rioch back in sole charge, he's too old.

Actually think that's a fair shout. I'd take Phillips but I'd want him to have an experienced assistant - Sammy Lee would have been perfect.

God knows who we'd appoint otherwise, it's a mess and if you look at Wolves situation when they got relegated to League 1 they ended up with Dean Saunders and we're an even less attractive proposition than they were.
I think you'll find Saunders was sacked long before they were in league 1, but don't let facts get in the way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum