Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer.

+11
Reebok Trotter
Pevensey Pete
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
Bollotom2014
gloswhite
White84
Bwfc1958
Hipster_Nebula
Mr Magoo
Sluffy
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 15:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Celtic captain Neil Lennon has revealed that the hardest part of facing up to his depression was breaking the news to his family.

In a candid interview to be broadcast on Radio One this Wednesday, the former Northern Ireland internationalist speaks of his pride at the way in which he has handled his illness while remaining ever in the public eye.

Speaking as a contributor to the two-part documentary Demons, Going Around My Head, recorded for the Colin Murray show, Lennon admitted too many people still fail to understand mental health problems.

He said: "The greatest quote is pull yourself together' or shake yourself out of it'. That can be the worst thing that anyone can say to you, because you are fighting it yourself and the last thing you need is somebody putting you down - you are feeling bad enough as it is.

"You never think you are going to get out of it. My mother and sister have suffered from it, so they are a great help, but trying to actually explain to them I had depression was one of the hardest things I had to do."

In his autobiography Man And Bhoy, published last year, Lennon revealed he had been suffering from depression since 2000, when he playing for Leicester City.

His condition was diagnosed by Celtic club doctor Roddy McDonald after the move to his boyhood heroes, though he chose to stall going public for fear, he says, of people accusing him of being depressed every time his performance level dipped.

The documentary also features Scot Stuart Braithwaite, frontman of rock group Mogwai, and former Beta Band singer Steve Mason, urging anyone feeling depressed to confide in someone they feel comfortable with.

Lennon added: "It's very difficult to come forward and talk about it, but for a start, don't be ashamed, it is an illness, it's like getting the flu or breaking a leg. It happens, and it can happen for no reason.

"I'm proud of it, I'm proud of being able to deal with it and still be in the public eye and be pretty successful at what I do. We all have our crosses in life to bear and maybe depression is mine. If it is, then so be it, I will deal with it as best I can."

Mental health charities paid tribute to Lennon's openness and hoped his views would encourage Scots to seek help with problems, as the country has the highest suicide rate in the UK.

Sandra McDougall, Influence and Change manager with the Scottish Association for Mental Health, said: "One in four people will experience a mental health problem at some time in their lives - so any one of us, or people close to us, might be affected.

"If people can see someone with such a high public profile talk openly, and without shame, then that might help challenge some of the myths that are around. It might also encourage people who are struggling themselves to seek help."

Linda Dunion, campaign director for See Me, said Lennon appealed to a key demographic. She said: "Everybody needs to hear this, but young men in particular. The single best thing you can do is confide in somebody you can trust and, on the other side of the coin, if someone confides in you, you have to be able to listen without judging them."

Celtic season ticket holder Michael McLaughlin, 24, a fervent Lennon fan, said: "It was totally surprising to discover he was dealing with depression, considering how strong a character he appears to be. It is just something you don't associate with a guy like him. In speaking out, he opened himself up to abuse so he really has to be admired."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

How many games before he starts crying.

Whittam's gonna have a field day with this........

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Big fishing hook on this thread.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

It's an illness - like breaking a leg. Mmm not sure about that one

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Watching Bolton the last two seasons has made me fucking miserable.
Jesus it's like putting out fire with Petrol taking the Wanderers job if he is suffering with depression.
Maybe he is in to Sado masochism?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I don't like him, but credit to him for what he's done, and I wish him well in his fight with depression, especially if he's prepared to take on a job as challenging as Bolton.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I was getting quite excited by this appointment too. At least he's in the right place.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

gloswhite wrote:I don't like him, but credit to him for what he's done, and I wish him well in his fight with depression, especially if he's prepared to take on a job as challenging as Bolton.
I think this is an incredibly brave interview, his openness about his condition has really enhanced my respect for the man. I don't know if he's the right choice for this club as he's never managed at this level with these kind of constraints but it's clear he's a very gutsy individual and if he does fail it won't be for lack of courage the way DF did. (tactical courage not personal or moral). 

This man WILL go for the win and WILL take risks. I also think that if the stories about Spearing thinking he's in charge are true he's about to get slapped down hard. 

Good luck to Mr Lennon, I really hope he can succeed where the last four have failed and he'll have my complete support as he starts a difficult job. I don't expect to see much change in quality immediately but I'll bet we see a much more spirited performance next weekend. Maybe with some minor tactical changes as he only has a week to get to know the players and see what they can really do,

10Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:47

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bwfc1958 wrote:It's an illness - like breaking a leg. Mmm not sure about that one
It is mate, albeit one that has an unfair stigma attached to it which means all too many sufferers refuse to admit it or seek the help they need. Depression is an illness of the mind and all too often people who suffer from it are seen as somehow 'soft' or 'weak' when nothing could be further from the truth. 

And those who don't get that help or can't seek it because they're afraid of being so labelled suffer all the more unnecessarily. Like the late, great Gary Speed. 

Credit to Lennon and to his family and friends for the way they helped and supported him and continue to do so. I wish him well.

11Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:53

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:It's an illness - like breaking a leg. Mmm not sure about that one
It is mate, albeit one that has an unfair stigma attached to it which means all too many sufferers refuse to admit it or seek the help they need. Depression is an illness of the mind and all too often people who suffer from it are seen as somehow 'soft' or 'weak' when nothing could be further from the truth. 

And those who don't get that help or can't seek it because they're afraid of being so labelled suffer all the more unnecessarily. Like the late, great Gary Speed. 

Credit to Lennon and to his family and friends for the way they helped and supported him and continue to do so. I wish him well.
So absolutely nothing like breaking a leg then.

12Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 16:54

Whooosh!

Right over his head..... Very Happy

13Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 17:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Great guy. Left himself swinging from the rafters so his children could find him.

I have no problem with people killing themselves, but to leave yourself like that for a loved one to find is sick.

Walk to your doctors surgery, down some pills, and die quietly in the waiting room.

14Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 18:06

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Got the desired effect this thread i see. 

Rolling Eyes

15Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 18:18

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

luckyPeterpiper wrote:

I agree with you. I think you've misunderstood what I was saying there

16Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 18:26

Pevensey Pete

Pevensey Pete
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I suffer with depression,it's a pain in the arse for my family, I've tried lots of different drugs but they make me violent mostly or at best numb or suicidal.

17Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 19:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Canterbury Frank wrote:I suffer with depression,it's a pain in the arse for my family, I've tried lots of different drugs but they make me violent mostly or at best numb or suicidal.

Going off your avatar it might be advisable if you got rid of your guns.

18Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 20:21

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Great guy. Left himself swinging from the rafters so his children could find him.

I have no problem with people killing themselves, but to leave yourself like that for a loved one to find is sick.

Walk to your doctors surgery, down some pills, and die quietly in the waiting room.

Nat, its because of comments like this that sufferers don't ask for help. If he was in his right mind, he wouldn't have done it.

19Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty Re: Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Sun Oct 12 2014, 20:36

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Well said Glos

20Neil Lennon - Depression sufferer. Empty / Sun Oct 12 2014, 20:49

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Canterbury Frank wrote:I suffer with depression,it's a pain in the arse for my family, I've tried lots of different drugs but they make me violent mostly or at best numb or suicidal.
So your avatar, is that the voices in your head?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum