Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Last 6 games

+5
bwfc71
Keegan
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
jayjay23
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Last 6 games - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 6 games Wed May 02 2012, 14:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll make a sweeping generalistion and say that refs are only human. Unfortunately, that's not good enough in my book. I have witnessed blatant favouritism, highly subjective reading of situations and incompetence in equal measure over many years.
The only problem I have with refs is their inability to accept they're only human. They seldom if ever admit they've made a mistake, they defend the indefensible and they aren't open to suggestions or ideas to make their jobs easier.
Worst of all, they support illegal practices such as diving. If technological solutions were available at a cost which wouldn't disadvantage lower leagues, I'd happily get rid of refs in favour of a live panel of 10 or more people. If an incident occurs and >50% press the buzzer the game is stopped (equivalent to whistle) maximum 30 second review time (added back at the end of the half) and majority decision rules. Downtime measured to the second and added back.
Eliminate ref error - bring it on.

22Last 6 games - Page 2 Empty Re: Last 6 games Fri May 04 2012, 22:07

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Recent games...

Based just on last 6 games, so not chosen specifically to illustrate my point!

Losing or drawing...

Man City (final whistle = 96 mins 51 seconds)
Everton (final whistle = 95 mins 26 seconds)
Wigan (final whistle = 95 mins 12 seconds)

Winning

Villa (final whistle = 94 mins 08 seconds)
QPR (final whistle = 93 mins 01 seconds)
Blackburn (final whistle = 93 mins 18 seconds)

Averages:

When winning an average of 209 seconds of injury time.
When losing or drawing an average of 350 seconds injury time played.

Just to put both proofs together...

The Guardian
did a study of how much injury time was added on average when United are losing or drawing compared with the average when they are winning.

In the four complete seasons analysed how many games do you think the time swayed in United's favour?

That's right! Every single one!

"In 2006-07, for example, United were winning 15 times on entering stoppage time and referees added an average 194.53sec. In the four games when United were not winning there was an average of 217.25sec. The following year the disparity was greater, Opta's figures showing an average 178.29sec added when United were winning and 254.5sec when they were not. Last season it was 187.71sec compared to 258.6sec."

The article was published after United won in injury time against City in 2009. The board showed 4 mins to be added. The ref played seven. The winner was scored in 96th minute. Unbelievable.

On average, there has been over a minute extra added by referees when United do not have the lead after 90 minutes, compared to when they are in front. In 48 games when United were ahead, the average amount of stoppage time was 191.35 seconds. In 12 matches when United were drawing or losing there was an average of 257.17sec.

Go figure! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/22/manchester-united-goals-stoppage-time)

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum