Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eidur Gudjohnsen signs for Bolton Wanderers

+6
wanderlust
Numpty 28723
Bwfc1958
boltonbonce
Mr Magoo
karlypants
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers have completed the signing of free agent Eidur Gudjohnsen on a deal that will run until the end of the current season.

Gudjohnsen, 36, has enjoyed a decorated playing career since leaving Bolton 14 years ago to sign for Chelsea in 2000.

His time at Stamford Bridge yielded two Premier League wins, two Community Shields and a League Cup victory.

The Icelander then went on to play for Barcelona, where another array of silverware followed. Under the guidance of Pep Guardiola, Gudjohnsen and Barcelona swept aside all before them landing a domestic La Liga and Copa del Rey double, as well as the Champions League crown.

In his first spell at Bolton Gudjohnsen made a total of 77 appearances, scoring 27 goals.

Gudjohnsen will wear shirt number 22 during his stay at Bolton.

The deal is subject to international clearance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by karlypants on Fri Dec 05 2014, 12:32; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Welcome home Eidur! cheers

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

cheers :clap: I second that

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon on the signing of Eidur Gudjohnsen

Neil Lennon spoke of his delight at securing the signature of Eidur Gudjohnsen following confirmation of the striker’s move to the club.

Returning to Macron Stadium having departed Wanderers for Chelsea 14 years ago, the 36-year-old has agreed terms with the Trotters until the end of the current season – a deal which the manager believes will reap dividends for both parties.

“I’m delighted to have Eidur on board,” said Lennon. “I think he will be a big game player and he is relishing getting back out on the field.

“It may take him a little time to adjust to the Championship and the style of play that is required of him, but that said however, he has come in with a completely open mind – he’s motivated, he’s done everything that has been asked of him on the physical side of things and he can only get better.

“In terms of his footballing ability, we all know what he is capable of and that is an exciting prospect.

“He is a quality player, and he knows exactly what we expect of him going forward – he is definitely looking forward to the challenge ahead of him.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not often you get something decent from iceland.
I'm an Ocado man myself.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

All we need to do now is sign heskey and help the aged will have achieved this years quota for reintroducing old people to the workplace. :good:

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They're installing a walk in bath in the changing rooms.

boltonbonce wrote:They're installing a walk in bath in the changing rooms.

a wet room Wink

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Does anybody know what was the last game Eidur played in before he left for Chelsea? It's not a quiz question - I was trying to look for the info but couldn't find it.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:Does anybody know what was the last game Eidur played in before he left for Chelsea? It's not a quiz question - I was trying to look for the info but couldn't find it.

Not sure he started the 2001 season for us so I guess his last game was the playoff semi final on our way back into the premiership as I recall he couldn't make the final. I remember we got Fredi Bobic in as a replacement.

Just a guess really.

wanderlust wrote:
Numpty 28723 wrote:Does anybody know what was the last game Eidur played in before he left for Chelsea? It's not a quiz question - I was trying to look for the info but couldn't find it.

Not sure he started the 2001 season for us so I guess his last game was the playoff semi final on our way back into the premiership as I recall he couldn't make the final. I remember we got Fredi Bobic in as a replacement.

Just a guess really.

No Bobic played for us in the premier league, Gudjohnsen left before the start of the promotion season I think.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Just a guess really.

No Bobic played for us in the premier league, Gudjohnsen left before the start of the promotion season I think.

Isn't that what I said amigo?

Maybe I misread it apologies!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think he played against Ipswich in the first leg of the infamous play off,but was injured for the 2nd leg starring Barry Shite. Don't know that he played many more after that.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I think bonce is right there. I'm sure I read recently his last game was against Ipswich in the playoffs.

boltonbonce wrote:I think he played against Ipswich in the first leg of the infamous play off,but was injured for the 2nd leg starring Barry Shite. Don't know that he played many more after that.

Christ, that feels like a lifetime ago.

Who else is coming back?

Willie Morgan?

Ray Train?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I think he played against Ipswich in the first leg of the infamous play off,but was injured for the 2nd leg starring Barry Shite. Don't know that he played many more after that.

Christ, that feels like a lifetime ago.

Who else is coming back?

Willie Morgan?

Ray Train?
No mate, it's gonna be Alan Gowling, Frank Worthington and Neil Whatmore. Very Happy

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Correct, and with his injury, any chance of promotion that season.
Then came Ricketts for fans to hang their star on!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

can't wait to see him pull on the White shirt again  Very Happy . Please Neil,  don't sign Heskey though, i've already had work colleagues taking the piss!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:can't wait to see him pull on the White shirt again  Very Happy . Please Neil,  don't sign Heskey though, i've already had work colleagues taking the piss!
I honestly am warming to the idea of Heskey. If Neil thinks he can do a good job for us he could be a perfect addition to the squad. He's a link up man rather than an out and out goalscorer and at his best he plays in the SKD mould, winning ball and holding it up or creating space for others to exploit by dragging defenders out of position. I know he was never world class but he was always pretty solid in that role and if he can make it easier for players like Cravies and Mason to get a shot off then he could be just what we need right now. And he has undeniable experience that could really help players like Clayton and Hall. 

I slated Jutkiewicz mightily before he ever kicked a ball for us and I won't make that mistake again. If Neil thinks it's worth doing then I'll back his judgement for now and make my own decision after I've seen Emile play a few games for us. I suspect he's going to be more of an impact sub player rather than a regular starter and in that role he probably has something good to offer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum