Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Andy Lonergan is currently the best goalkeeper in the league, says Neil Danns

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Danns believes Andy Lonergan could be the best keeper in the Championship right now.

Wanderers have not conceded a goal in over six hours of football against Huddersfield, Reading, Ipswich and Millwall.

And Danns puts much of the credit down to the in-form stopper, who has only conceded twice in his last seven games for the club.

“He’s been on fire,” the midfielder told The Bolton News. “Lonners is a quality keeper and he keeps on making those world class saves.

“All credit to him, he never lets his concentration drop, his focus is still on the game. You saw it at Millwall with his save at the very end [from Martyn Woolford] – it won us two points.

“It would be difficult to imagine anyone in the Championship is playing as well in goal as he is at the minute.

“That’s four clean sheets in a row now – I can’t imagine many keepers have got that kind of record at the moment.”

Friday’s narrow win at Millwall sets things up nicely for the Boxing Day derby against Blackburn, who returned to form with a 2-0 victory at home to Charlton on Saturday.

Lee Bowyer’s side sit in eighth place, four points off the top six, and Danns expects another tense 90 minutes.

“The way the confidence is at the minute, it’s not a concern,” he said. “We went to Millwall knowing the fans there give you everything but it shows you what the team is about now. We’ve worked hard to get a result.

“Sometimes it’s 3-0 or 4-0 but sometimes that one goal is enough.

“The defence have been amazing and if we could win every game 1-0 until the end of the season, we’d be more than happy.”

Danns has been employed in a deeper-lying midfield role since Neil Lennon’s arrival and the Liverpudlian is enjoying being in the thick of the action for Wanderers.

“I’m loving it at the moment,” he said. “I’m seeing loads of the ball and I think it’s a position that plays to my strengths.

“The fans know I’ll always give 100 per cent and it suits me because I get round the pitch, try to make my presence felt.

“But to be honest, I’m just enjoying winning. It isn’t about me.

“No-one is thinking about individual performances at the moment, just that the team does well.

“That is the sort of attitude the gaffer has instilled in us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum