Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books.

+22
sunlight
DEANO82
Sluffy
wessy
gloswhite
Bwfc1958
Chairmanda
Cajunboy
karlypants
Lard Lad
Bollotom2014
Bread2.0
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
wanderlust
xmiles
Keegan
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Reebok Trotter
okocha
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 16]

241Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 13:12

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

242Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 13:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:How about any of the following by Mr G C Barnes:

Table Tennis, Advanced table tennis techniques, More Than a Match, Modern table tennis tactics
Bob, are you Chester's agent? Very Happy

243Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 14:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On the last day before the lockdown I took 30 books from my local library.

Even though I was the only one in the library, I felt under pressure to get my 30 books quickly as the librarian was watching me - as though I was going to start licking the books.

There was no method to my madness so I somehow came away with "The Madonna of Bolton" by Matt Cain, a story about a gay bloke from Bolton whose life was heavily influenced by Madonna and her lyrics. Sounds shit, but actually pretty good, if only for the references to 80's and 90's Bolton.

244Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 14:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

30 books from the library? That sounds a lot! My local library probably doesn't have that many on its shelves  Very Happy

245Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 14:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:On the last day before the lockdown I took 30 books from my local library.

Even though I was the only one in the library, I felt under pressure to get my 30 books quickly as the librarian was watching me - as though I was going to start licking the books.

There was no method to my madness so I somehow came away with "The Madonna of Bolton" by Matt Cain, a story about a gay bloke from Bolton whose life was heavily influenced by Madonna and her lyrics. Sounds shit, but actually pretty good, if only for the references to 80's and 90's Bolton.
I didn't know you could take 30 books out at a time. Up until recently I had a book I took out of Farnworth library in 1974 and forgot to take back. Can't find it now, but I do remember it was a selection of Sherlock Holmes short stories, although not written by Conan Doyle, but his son, in collaboration with someone else.

246Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 14:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The maximum at our children’s library is 10.

I made sure that we returned them all just before Covid-19 kicked off here as knowing what Bolton clowncil is like, they would have charged us for them being overdue even when the place has had to shut.

247Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 15:02

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Highly recommended: This Is Going To Hurt, by Adam kay. 

Hilarious but also heart-breaking and definite food for thought in the current climate. Been in the best-seller lists for ages, and I can see why....Brilliantly written.

248Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 15:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Highly recommended: This Is Going To Hurt, by Adam kay. 

Hilarious but also heart-breaking and definite food for thought in the current climate. Been in the best-seller lists for ages, and I can see why....Brilliantly written.
Sounds like the title of Eric's autobiography.

Been reading about Pliny the Elder today. A serious barmpot. He suggested a cure for a headache would be to strap a foxes testicles to your forehead, and that rubbing mouse poo into the scalp was a cure for baldness.

Last edited by boltonbonce on Wed Apr 15 2020, 15:17; edited 1 time in total

249Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 15:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Sounds like the title of Eric's autobiography.

Have you bugged my bedroom?

250Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Wed Apr 15 2020, 15:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Sounds like the title of Eric's autobiography.

Have you bugged my bedroom?
That would be wrong on so many levels.

251Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Thu Jun 04 2020, 13:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Half way through a brilliant thriller, 'Codename Rattlesnake', an Inspector Marsden mystery, from the golden pen of Count Arthur Strong. (He actually uses a typewriter, but that's another story)
To quote The Doncaster Advertiser, 'When he dies at the end, I never saw it coming'.
Available on amazon. Bargain.

252Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Sat Jun 20 2020, 17:58

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I am currently reading `The Gospel of Buddha Compiled from Ancient Records` which I got for free from  Project Gutenberg free Ebooks. Being a Buddhist this book is a delight to skip through and pick out parts here and there while eating an Apple or drinking Coffee with no pressure to read it from cover to cover. The Gutenberg site, probably most people have heard of it, however if you havent and you like reading books that are very old, then a search though it will be a pleasure. There are some great free Ebooks there.

https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

There are over 60,000 books there.

253Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Sat Jun 20 2020, 23:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
To quote The Doncaster Advertiser, 'When he dies at the end, I never saw it coming'.
Available on amazon. Bargain.

254Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jul 07 2020, 15:06

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I dont take drugs, nor do I wish to. I do enjoy reading from people of the past. As I have housework to do, I have been listening to audio books.
Today I have been listening to `Confessions of an English Opium Eater `  by Thomas de Quincey. I am a huge fan of Wordsworth and Coleridge and saw this book by one of their group. It is a delight so far, I am on new ground and dont know much about him, so far so good with this book. `A wind so strong you can put your back against it and use it as a post `. He describes sitting in a Cottage by the fire and his reasons for liking Winter, which are quite agreeable. I have an affinity with this.

Only one chapter in, a random one, I will start at the beginning soon.

There are lots of audio books in the public domain, like this one.

Librivox.org

The best things in life are free.

I only hope I dont find some horror about him at some point in the future to ruin this. I am ignorant of the man other than a brief reading through his wiki.

255Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jul 07 2020, 15:52

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:I dont take drugs, nor do I wish to. I do enjoy reading from people of the past. As I have housework to do, I have been listening to audio books.
Today I have been listening to `Confessions of an English Opium Eater `  by Thomas de Quincey. I am a huge fan of Wordsworth and Coleridge and saw this book by one of their group. It is a delight so far, I am on new ground and dont know much about him, so far so good with this book. `A wind so strong you can put your back against it and use it as a post `. He describes sitting in a Cottage by the fire and his reasons for liking Winter, which are quite agreeable. I have an affinity with this.

Only one chapter in, a random one, I will start at the beginning soon.

There are lots of audio books in the public domain, like this one.

Librivox.org

The best things in life are free.

I only hope I dont find some horror about him at some point in the future to ruin this. I am ignorant of the man other than a brief reading through his wiki.
I joined Audible a few years ago, and I usually listen on one of my walks. Not a big fan of Librivox due to some of their narrators being less than adequate. However, it's free, and that can't be bad.

256Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jul 07 2020, 16:16

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:

I joined Audible a few years ago, and I usually listen on one of my walks. Not a big fan of Librivox due to some of their narrators being less than adequate. However, it's free, and that can't be bad.

Thanks for that! I didnt know about it. I shall happily check that out this week sometime.

257Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jul 07 2020, 16:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

£7.99 a month. Well worth it. 30 day free trial.

https://www.audible.co.uk/

258Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Mon Aug 10 2020, 14:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared.
They made a half decent film of the book too.

259Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Sun Nov 29 2020, 13:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A real treat if you're into this sort of stuff. Who'd have thought TREBOR, is just ROBERT read backwards. Very Happy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wrappers-Delight-Jonny-Trunk/dp/0995745595

260Books. - Page 13 Empty Re: Books. Mon Nov 30 2020, 13:24

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I enjoyed the television series these two made about Canal Journeys around Britain, recently. They also sailed boats in India and Thailand. Barges are very peaceful. I saw this book while perusing a bookshop before the lockdown and was wondering to get it for my Mother whom also enjoyed the series.

Books. - Page 13 ZsYWWaE

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum