Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books.

+22
sunlight
DEANO82
Sluffy
wessy
gloswhite
Bwfc1958
Chairmanda
Cajunboy
karlypants
Lard Lad
Bollotom2014
Bread2.0
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
wanderlust
xmiles
Keegan
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Reebok Trotter
okocha
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 16]

41Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 17:11

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Agree about Sharpe. Loved 'Blott on the Landscape.
The TV version was great too.

I agree. Alas his later stuff went a bit flat. I have read all of his books but his earlier stuff outshines his later novels..

42Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 17:37

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Tom Sharpe's earlier stuff was brilliant. Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, The Throwback and Vintage Stuff all had me in stitches. His early Wilt novels were funny as well.

I agree his earlier stuff made me laugh out loud but his later stuff just wasn't as good.

43Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Sat Jan 17 2015, 10:25

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Norpig wrote:i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Chrsitmas present!

Assuming you are reading them in sequence you only have Blood's A Rover to read to finish his Underworld USA trilogy and then you can get Perfidia which is set before the LA Quartet in 1941.

:good:

44Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 14:20

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

In another attempt to get me reading again I just bought Murakami's After The Quake and Bukowski's Post Office. 25 pages into After The Quake and I'm loving it!

45Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm having another go at James Joyce. You've got to love anyone who can produce stuff like this.

“Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo”

46Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:46

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I'm having another go at James Joyce. You've got to love anyone who can produce stuff like this.

“Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo”

My mate James is named after him. Middle name Joyce  Shocked

47Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:49

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

48Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:08

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Did the Wilbur Smith and Alistair McLean books at college but still go back to Nevil Shute and for the working class stories Ragged Trousered Philanthropists or books by Howard Spring.

49Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:14

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bread2.0 wrote:Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

haha... er... eh?

50Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It was a weak gag based on his initials.

I apologise.

Books. - Page 3 1426195468668

51Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the Stranglers bass player is Jean Jacques Burnel

52Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

beat me to it Breaders  Very Happy

53Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:28

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:beat me to it Breaders  Very Happy

Spooky.  Very Happy

54Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 20:18

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bread2.0 wrote:It was a weak gag based on his initials.

I apologise.

Books. - Page 3 1426195468668

Sorry, a bit slow today. I blame the lack of booze in my life.

55Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 23:52

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Currently reading Girl On A Train by British author Paula Hawkins. Got part way through the movie and decided that I would read the book first.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

56Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Thu Jan 05 2017, 14:53

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bread2.0 wrote:Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

Just wandered into JJB Sports for some thermals and thought of you. I'm spending too much time on here.

57Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Thu Jan 05 2017, 15:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wandered in here and thought the same thing. Razz
Books. - Page 3 Knob_Shop

58Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Thu Jan 05 2017, 15:40

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

By "wandered in" do you mean "crashed through the plate glass window" after tripping over your own feet.....?

59Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Thu Jan 05 2017, 15:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:By "wandered in" do you mean "crashed through the plate glass window" after tripping over your own feet.....?
Very Happy  I was looking for a replacement in a larger size.

I do tend to get hold of the wrong end of the stick .I chased this van for six miles before seeing the error of my ways.
Books. - Page 3 Cockpolishing

60Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 17:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not been on much due to a bad dose of the flu,and even typing this is exhausting.
However,I wanted to recommend one of the funniest books ever written. 
To my dismay,most people I mention it to haven't even heard of it. I only heard about it myself due to a chance encounter in a book shop.
It's called 'Augustus Carp Esq. By Himself. I recommended it to Bread last year,but I don't know if he managed to get hold of a copy.

Augustus Carp, Esq by Henry Howarth Bashford

Chosen by Philip Ardagh
Although I’m a huge fan of PG Wodehouse in general and his Blandings stories in particular, and although Clive James’s series of unreliable memoirs has caused me to snort out loud in public, and after having weighed up Max Beerbohm’s Seven Men and Two Others, I’ve gone for Augustus Carp Esq, by Himself.
Subtitled “Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man”, and first published in 1924, it begins: “It is customary, I have noticed, in publishing an autobiography to preface it with some sort of apology. But there are times, and surely the present is one of them, when to do so is manifestly unnecessary.” Though written by Dr Henry Howarth Bashford – later Sir Henry, physician to George VI – his name did not appear in the book in his lifetime.
Carp’s nearest relative must be Pooter from Diary of a Nobody but, for me, Carp, the character and the book, surpasses Pooter and the better known classic. Here is a Sunday school superintendent, churchwarden and self-appointed president of a piety league, who religiously highlights the faults in others while constantly trying to pursue his own advancement through “good deeds”. (When falling out with those at the church of St James the Lesser, he joins the congregation of St James the Lesser Still.)
When tricked into believing that port is “a species of fruit squash imported from Portugal and known as Portugalade” he gets terrible “port-poisoning”. It all ends in tears, one of which lands on his employer, causing him to apologise –not to his employer “but to the moisture”. Why? “Because by apologising to the moisture, I was conveying to Mr Chrysostom, in the most trenchant way possible, my own opinion of his character.” Carp is, quite simply, a very British comic masterpiece.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum