Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 'mountain of work' begins in earnest as Neil Lennon prepares for a busy summer

+3
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Describing the “mountain” of work he will undertake this summer to turn Wanderers round, Neil Lennon rolled up his sleeves as he prepares to get stuck in at the Macron.

It had all been building to this for the Whites boss, who has had to keep up a brave face over the last few weeks despite clearly wishing the time away.

Now, and only now, can he start to remodel a squad that he feels has significant flaws, preventing the success he craves.

There was no ranting and raving, no individuals picked out for criticism despite the meek and rather submissive defeat to Birmingham.

Rather, Lennon looked a relieved man as he finally got a chance to begin the rebuilding job he has been speaking about for some time now.

“We’ve got a mountain of work in terms of where we want to take this club,” he said. “We’ve known that would be the case all along.

“We had to get over the line, to stay up, and we looked okay in November and December, then the injuries really hit us hard.

“It was so mix and match towards the end of the season – I don’t want to go through that scenario again.

“It is important we start our recruitment now to make us better and add to the core of good players we already have here.

“Since January, we have had at least eight players out. At one stage we had 12. That has to change.

“Pre-season will be important in terms of a good level of fitness and we need more players who are accustomed to this Championship. A bit more experience and more quality.”

On the game, which never really got going and meandered to an unsatisfactory conclusion, Lennon felt it summed up some of the problems he will have to tackle this summer.

“We were a bit tippy-tappy,” he said. “We looked lightweight but then we did have four centre-halves injured or suspended.

“We had plenty of the ball but didn’t have any punch in the final third. Birmingham scored with their only or one of their only shots on target. We weren't good enough to break them down second half.

“Maybe it was symptomatic of our season. We showed a bit of promise but in the end we fizzled out.”

First team coach Garry Parker echoed Lennon’s appetite for change as he took over some of the press duties after the game.

“We know deep down that they're not good enough and we need to make things right next year because we're not where we want to be,” he said.

“There will be new signings. We went away last week with the manager and we're looking all the time. Things will change because some of the players we've got aren't good enough.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Garry Parker wrote:

There will be new signings. We went away last week with the manager and we're looking all the time. Things will change because some of the players we've got aren't good enough.

Brilliant quote from Garry Parker.

Things are going to look so much better come August.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its all bollocks, you'll believe anything.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I remember the same bullshit getting spouted last year. Will all come to fuck all.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:I remember the same bullshit getting spouted last year. Will all come to fuck all.

Please link me to a quote by Dougie from the end of last season saying the players aren't good enough.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parker will be on a beach now, nobody gives à shit, i dont blame them .

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:I remember the same bullshit getting spouted last year. Will all come to fuck all.

Please link me to a quote by Dougie from the end of last season saying the players aren't good enough.
He did have a good rant about several players not pulling their weight... I remember that. 

He was also made to sell Ngog and get rid of a couple of other players to finance moves for other players... once he had done this, he was told there was no money available... Our board lie to managers on a regular basis, what makes you think lennon would be treated any differently?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
He was also made to sell Ngog and get rid of a couple of other players to finance moves for other players... once he had done this, he was told there was no money available... Our board lie to managers on a regular basis, what makes you think lennon would be treated any differently?

Thank fook someone told him to sell Ngog, I still can't believe Swansea paid real money for him. One of the worst ever BWFC signings.

Freedman wasn't a "name". If he fucked up at BWFC other clubs wouldn't be falling over themselves to sign him up. So he had no choice but to toe the line. If Lennon became available he'd have his pick of clubs so he doesn't need to put up with any lies.

I'll bet you the club find the money to make a bid for Le Fondre.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Thank fook someone told him to sell Ngog, I still can't believe Swansea paid real money for him. One of the worst ever BWFC signings.

Freedman wasn't a "name". If he fucked up at BWFC other clubs wouldn't be falling over themselves to sign him up. So he had no choice but to toe the line. If Lennon became available he'd have his pick of clubs so he doesn't need to put up with any lies.

I'll bet you the club find the money to make a bid for Le Fondre.
Im not arsed about the sale of Ngog... Just making the point that freedman was promised the money (quoted in the media) ... and never got it. 

He was lied too.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon was also lied to, i think he'll walk soon.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If they have promised him money then it doesn't materialise then you can guarantee he will walk and make sure everyone knows why.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

The lack of optimism on here is astounding, if they don't deliver then slaughter them, personally I have a good feeling about next season!!!

::bwfcfan::

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bryan458 wrote:The lack of optimism on here is astounding, if they don't deliver then slaughter them, personally I have a good feeling about next season!!!

::bwfcfan::
Bryan I don't think anyone here likes feeling pessimistic but after the last three seasons and the farce that's been every transfer window in them I don't feel it's unreasonable to say getting my hopes up for something much better would be plain silly. 

Neil's a great manager, I think he knows what to do and how to do it but he's going to need resources, specifically money and I can't see him getting it no matter what assurances he has or hasn't been given. Someone on another thread seems to feel the debt is actually an accounting trick and will be mostly written off. Whatever that guy is smoking I'd like some because it must be good stuff. There's no way ED is going to turn his back on that kind of cash and if (as has been reported) it's true that Gartside was able to block the Irish Consortium by demanding his job be guaranteed that bodes even more ill for our future at least in the short term. 

When we came down I said I felt we could be at this level for five or maybe even six years. It's starting to look like that was an over-optimistic assessment. I hate feeling this way but right now it feels like the early to mid 1980's all over again, at least to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum