Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big move north to Bolton pays off for Quade Taylor

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It might not be a Palace but Wanderers defender Quade Taylor is quite content calling Bolton his home.

While other youngsters caught the spotlight more readily at the Macron Stadium last season, few looked more assured on debut than the 21-year-old when he took to the pitch against Birmingham City on the final day of the campaign.

Signed by Dougie Freedman from his old stomping ground at Selhurst Park but fast-tracked into the first team by Neil Lennon, Taylor’s development rather crept under the radar in the last few months.

Those who watched him in the development squad, however, will have seen signs of a maturing presence, a potential captain in the making.

So little wonder that the club acted quickly this summer by tying him down to another 12-month deal to continue his development.

Lennon had few positive words to say after the final-day defeat against Birmingham, save for a pat on the back for Taylor who made, in his estimation, “a very good debut".

It marked the high point of a challenging campaign for the young defender, who cut his teeth at non-league Dulwich Hamlet before moving on to near capital neighbours Crystal Palace.

As if life away from London was not enough to cope with, Taylor’s mentors Jamie Fullarton and Freedman quickly exited the building after another poor start.

But those extreme circumstances could have been the making of the man, and Taylor reflected on an encouraging first year in the North West.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time here so far – looking back it was a good first season all in all,” he said.

“Especially since the new manager has come in, I’ve trained with the first team and that’s helped massively.

“Particularly in the under-21 games, it’s brought out more of my character on the pitch and that’s ultimately led to me making that final step up.

“I feel as though I’ve grown as a player this year, so signing a new deal was an easy decision.

“Moving up here last summer was a big move for me – at the time I was a little apprehensive, but it’s definitely helped me to develop both on and off the pitch.

“I’m more responsible now and because there’s less distractions around than at home, I feel as though I’m a better player for it. I can just focus on my football and not worry about anything else.”

Taylor had been in and around the first-team picture for much of the New Year before finally making the bench in the 3-0 defeat at Bournemouth.

He took the captaincy on at under-21 level for the final three games and was given ample reward with a first professional start at the Macron last month.

“The Birmingham game was a bit crazy – it was all new and a bit daunting, but I personally felt as though it couldn’t have gone any better aside from the result. I just felt really at home in the team,” he said.

“I didn’t have any idea that I was going to be starting the game either – I was obviously included in the matchday squad, but I didn’t find out until we were in the dressing room beforehand.

“It probably helped a lot that I didn’t know though, so I didn’t have too much time to get nervous. I was literally thrown in at the deep end, but I was glad that the manager chose to do it that way.

“I thought that at best I’d be on the bench, but to find out that I was starting was a massive boost – I knew that I had to step up to the plate and put in a performance.”

With defensive changes afoot for Lennon this season, it would be an ideal time for a versatile option such as Taylor to make his claim for a regular place.

The manager has not shied away from giving younger players an opportunity and speaking to the club after signing his contract extension, Taylor is looking forward to trying to stay in his plans.

“To have the manager’s faith is a massive thing – coming into next season, I’d like to think that my performance against Birmingham has shown that he can trust me and hopefully I’ll be able to get my opportunity again.

“Running out on to the pitch at Macron Stadium was incredible though – I’ve literally waited for that moment all my life and in all honesty, I can’t describe the feeling. It was just amazing.

“For me though, it was my first step on to the ladder and hopefully it’s just the start for me. I’m just determined to get out there, show what I can do to get more games under my belt.

“I’m just determined to work as hard as I possibly can, so hopefully I’ll be able to give myself every opportunity of pushing on and staking my claim in the team.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum