Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A regular goalscorer is key for future success, says Bruce Rioch

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hitting their goals will be key to success for Wanderers next season.

That's the view of former Whites boss Bruce Rioch who says Neil Lennon needs a regular goalscorer to fire his team up the Championship table.

The top scoring striker in the league last season for the Whites was loan star Adam Le Fondre with eight, closely followed by the departing Craig Davies with six and both Eidur Gudjohnsen and Zach Clough weighed in with five apiece.

But the 10 recognised frontmen who figured in the Championship for Wanderers last season totalled just 30 goals between them.

When you consider the division's top scorer – Ipswich's Daryl Murphy – netted just three fewer than that on his own, it is easy to see why Rioch believes improving the goals-for column next season should be a priority.

The Whites netted just 54 times in 46 matches, compared to the 98 scored by champions Bournemouth.

The man who spent three successful years in charge of Wanderers told The Bolton News: "What you need is goalscorers in the team.

"If you collect strikers then you will always have a chance.

"If you have options to put an attacker on it is a huge help as a manager.

"You look at those sides at the top and the amount of goals they score – something like 80-90 for each of the three promoted teams.

"That's the key to success in the division."

Ricoh has faith that Lennon can find the right blend of players to do well at Wanderers and get the club upwardly mobile again, believing that Bournemouth have shown what can be achieved after they won promotion last season.

He hopes the current manager will be helped by investment in the club and says the introduction of young players can also play its part.

Ricoh, who led the Whites to two promotions in three seasons in the 1990s, added: "I still follow Bolton closely.

"I hope Neil can develop a team next season that can do well in what will again be a competitive division and tough to get out of.

"Without being disrespectful, if Bournemouth can do it then why not Bolton?

"Eddie Howe has done a fantastic job to take them up and it is an example for others I think.

"Neil is experienced and has the pedigree of success as a manager with Celtic.

"People may say they were a huge club in a league where they are expected to win trophies but you still have to go out there and do it.

"I think it is in Neil's genes to put teams together that play good football and are determined.

"He has brought young players in as well and fans love that.

"They can be great for you as along as they are good enough, have the right mentality and show consistent levels of performance.

"The key could be any possible takeover which I have heard rumours about.

"If that is to happen, it needs to be done quickly so there is stability and not uncertainty.

"Then Neil knows what he is working with financially.

"He will do well with the right resources."

Source

Sir Bruce (the real one, not the bloke in the daft wig) is right, but only up to a point.

I've just had a look at the final league table from 96 / 97 when we went up as champs.

Our final goal difference was +47 and it was achieved like this:

Away from home we scored 40 and conceded 33, giving us +7.

At home, however, we scored 60 and conceded only 20, giving us +40.

So it would appear that the real key to success is making your home ground a proper fortress.

And that's where solid defending comes in.

Have we got the defenders to do it......?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thanks Bruce for stating the obvious.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we had a regular goal scorer on loan last season in Le Fondre, we need to sign him quick. Uncle Eddie needs to get down the back of his couch for some spare change

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum