Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drogba and / or Hargreaves - Worth a punt?

+4
largehat
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Only joking of course but Drogba is off apparently to that Chinese club for - wait for it - a quarter of a millian pounds per WEEK!

The worlds gone mad - he just kicks a ball ffs!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hargreaves is on a free after playing just 13 minutes of Premier League football last a season - he's paid on a pay as you play contract - so I'm sure even we could afford 13 minutes of his time if we needed it!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat will be pleased!

Hargreaves! Our savior!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat will be pleased!

Hargreaves! Our savior!

I'd sign anyone with PL experience on a pay-as-you-play contract.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat will be pleased!

Hargreaves! Our savior!

I'd sign anyone with PL experience on a pay-as-you-play contract.

These so called pay-as-you-play deals aren't quite that straightforward. Someone like Hargreaves would still expect a substantial basic and then want a fortune each time he plays.

If he turns out to be fit and plays well I suspect he would still cost far more than we can afford.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
These so called pay-as-you-play deals aren't quite that straightforward. Someone like Hargreaves would still expect a substantial basic and then want a fortune each time he plays.

If he turns out to be fit and plays well I suspect he would still cost far more than we can afford.

Shut up. Are you a contract lawyer?

Pay-as-you-go means exactly what it says. You get paid when you go.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You can't pay an employee based on the work they do, they would have to be a self-employed independent contractor. So what you're suggesting isn't even legal. All footballers on a pay-as-you-play deal receive some sort of basic salary - it's the law. I know a fair bit about employment law as it happens, I have to as part of my job.

Do you imagine that Owen Hargreaves has received no money from Manchester City since his last appearance? Do you imagine he received no signing on fee?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Do you imagine that Owen Hargreaves has received no money from Manchester City since his last appearance? Do you imagine he received no signing on fee?

I'm sure he received a signing on fee, but the only salary he's collected was for 13 minutes against Aston Villa.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I'm sure he received a signing on fee, but the only salary he's collected was for 13 minutes against Aston Villa.

Wouldn't be legal. You claim to run a business, if you did, you'd damn well know that.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
Wouldn't be legal. You claim to run a business, if you did, you'd damn well know that.

I don't run a football club.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

I don't run a football club.

And you think football clubs are exempt from UK employment law?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I think a lot goes on that we don't know about.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

I think a lot goes on that we don't know about.

Just admit you're wrong.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

no it doesn't..

It means a (relatively) low basic salary and a high appearance bonus.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Just admit you're wrong.

If I was I would, I'm the first to apologise if I get things wrong.

But it's not called a basic-wage-plus-pay-as-you-go contract.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Just admit you're wrong.

so you think a player on a pay-as-you-go wage could theoretically go the whole season without an appearance and so not get paid?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Just admit you're wrong.

What is meant by a pay as you play deal?

Under a pay as you play deal the player will be contracted to the club for a certain amount of time under a standard FA Premier League contract. The only difference to the make-up of that player’s contract than other players in the team is that player will be paid when he makes an appearance for the club.

Often the player will be on a very low base salary and has the option of increasing that by working hard and making appearances on the pitch.

Source:

Now will you admit you're wrong?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just to be pedantic - if both parties are agreeable to the terms of a contract - they can waive their rights to enforce those specific aspects of the contract.

In very simple terms the contract could be - Hargreaves provides his 'labour' and City pay him for it.

If Hargreaves provides only 13 minutes worth of labour then depending upon how the contract was written and what waivers have been agreed to - then City would only have to pay him for 13 minutes work (as per the rates of pay agreed before hand).

I doubt very much that IS the contract he signed but it could be agreed an acted on legally, in the way I've described above.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'll bet you just made that link up.

Edit - Sorry, I meant to sign in as Natasha.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy - only if he was employed as a self-employed independent contractor. ALL employees in the UK are subject to the National Minimum Wage. He can't be expected to turn up for training and other club duties for no remuneration as an employee.

If such a contract was signed it would be unenforceable. I can get you to sign a contract saying you will work for me for £1 an hour for 70 hours per week, but it would be unenforceable under Employment Law. You can't make people sign away their statutory rights.

It's like when you go to a nightclub and they provide a cloakroom service. You pay £1 for them to look after your coat. They often have a sign saying "The Management accepts no responsibility for lost articles" - but that sign is bullshit - it's not legal to offer a cloakroom service and to somehow waive your legal responsibility with a sign.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I don't doubt that the contract complies with the law (any one that doesn't is void anyway) but I'm sure that if each party really wanted too they could come up with some wording that would satisfy each other as to how Hargreaves would be paid on performance alone - after all the contract is between a club owned by multi-billionaires entering into a contract with a multi-millionaire - so access to top drawer legal advice as to how to do it would be no problem for either party.

But as I said above I doubt very much that IS the contract particularly as you posted at almost the same time as I above an existing and vastly more sensible way to deal with such matters anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum