Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rip Off Britain

+3
doffcocker
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rip Off Britain Empty Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 20:49

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was reported last week that Clinton Cards are struggling big time. They've had to shut half their stores and are hoping someone will buy the others.

Now I'm usually sad when major UK chains shut down but not this time. I'm sorry for the people who will lose their jobs, but for YEARS Clinton Cards have been ripping us off for what is no more than a piece of card. It was minimum £2 for a standard size card, £4+ for something bigger.

In recent times card shops have started charging a lot less, you can get a decent card for around a quid now, even less at the supermarkets and pound shops. So fuck off Clinton Cards, I have no sympathy. If I did, I'd buy my sympathy card from Poundland where it's four cards for a quid.

What other things do you object to buying because they are a complete rip-off?

2Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 20:56

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Clinton cards is a unique struggler. Their debts up until 2 weeks ago were with RBS and Barclays. And then from nowhere American cards were interested in the company but did not want their debts, so guessed what they did. They bought the book debts from RBS and Barclays and the next day told Clinton Cards to pay up. As Clinton cards did not have the finance they went into liquidation. At this moment in the liquidators are looking after business matters and will, in due time, sell the company to American cards at a much knocked down price with no, or virtually no debts.

If you thought Clinton Cards, or their other business such as funky pigeon, the dogs bollocks etc etc etc, were a rip off, just wait until the Yanks takes it over!!!

3Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 20:57

Agree about cards, always been a rip off.

Replica kits have to be up there, buy a regular Reebok t-shirt from a sports shop and it's about £15, stick a BWFC badge on it and it's two or three times that.

4Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 20:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:
If you thought Clinton Cards, or their other business such as funky pigeon, the dogs bollocks etc etc etc, were a rip off, just wait until the Yanks takes it over!!!

I didn't know Funky Pigeon were part of Clinton Cards. To be fair, they're quite reasonable in price.

5Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:00

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Owen Owen Owen wrote:Agree about cards, always been a rip off.

Replica kits have to be up there, buy a regular Reebok t-shirt from a sports shop and it's about £15, stick a BWFC badge on it and it's two or three times that.

If you thought Bolton tops were expensive - try €90 for the new Dutch top for the Euros, or €80 for the Ajax top!!! Cheapest sport top I bought were the Wallabies shirt, as a present, for my dad - only cost me A$60 (approx GBP15 at the time) from Cairns Airport!

6Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:02

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I can't understand people actually enjoying receiving a card.

Clinton Cards are pisstakers, and when I've felt obliged to buy somebody a card, Card Warehouse have been lifesavers. For my mum's last birthday, I got her an A4 sized birthday card from there for 99p.

So I for one won't lose any sleep over Clinton's demise, or even if the entire industry was to collapse. Because at the end of the day, IT'S A PIECE OF FUCKING CARD!

7Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:03

bwfc71 wrote:

If you thought Bolton tops were expensive - try €90 for the new Dutch top for the Euros, or €80 for the Ajax top!!! Cheapest sport top I bought were the Wallabies shirt, as a present, for my dad - only cost me A$60 (approx GBP15 at the time) from Cairns Airport!

Wow, really? Is that the norm, or are replica tops cheaper if it's not one of the big boys?

8Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:04

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I can't understand people actually enjoying receiving a card.

So if some hot girl sent you a card you wouldn't enjoy it?

9Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:10

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:I can't understand people actually enjoying receiving a card.

So if some hot girl sent you a card you wouldn't enjoy it?

I would, but it wouldn't be the card itself that pleased me.

A message on a plain piece of paper, hand-written or otherwise, would have the same effect.

10Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

I would, but it wouldn't be the card itself that pleased me.

A message on a plain piece of paper, hand-written or otherwise, would have the same effect.

Yes, nothing suggests love more than a message on a piece of bog roll.

11Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 21:21

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never entertained Clinton Cards because they were too expensive. I normally get my cards from the Card Factory. I ALWAYS make a point checking the obituary section of the newspapers because I hate wasting money on Xmas cards.

12Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 22:18

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Specsavers and their rivals fucking high st bandits.

13Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Tue May 22 2012, 22:46

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There must be some unique stellar convergence or something taking place this evening, because yet again I find myself completely agreeing with Doffcocker.

Card Warehouse is great, I've only ever used the one in the Arndale Centre in Manchester. Can't beat those prices but you always have to queue for 5 minutes to hand over your quid and I've come out of that shop sweating buckets because it's so hot.

14Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Wed May 23 2012, 12:20

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

If you thought Clinton Cards were a rip off try WHSmith cards, christ I looked at mothers day cards in there this year and the cheapest was £4.99 for a card!

I can't say i have ever been one for cards, a phone call saying happy birthday would do the same job surely?

15Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Wed May 23 2012, 12:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:
I can't say i have ever been one for cards, a phone call saying happy birthday would do the same job surely?

You tight bastard. Single by any chance?

16Rip Off Britain Empty Re: Rip Off Britain Wed May 23 2012, 12:36

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Haha I mean for myself, I buy cards for people but wouldn't be losing sleep if I didn't recieve one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum