Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers chase Charlton Athletic striker Igor Vetokele as Brighton clash looms

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

WANDERERS were locked in talks with Charlton Athletic last night to bring in Angola international Igor Vetokele.

The Bolton News understands that Valley boss Guy Luzon has given his blessing to the 23-year-old to join up with the Whites on a short-term loan.

But the deal was by no means complete yesterday evening as Neil Lennon was still working hard to convince the former FC Coopenhagen front man to quit the capital and move to the North West.

After missing out on Marvin Emnes and Victor Anichebe this week, the Wanderers boss is desperate to add some pace to his front line before the visit of Brighton to the Macron this weekend.

Vetokele, capped at every youth level by Belgium, enjoyed a successful start to life at the Valley when he moved from Danish football for £2.4million last summer.

He scored on his Championship debut against Brentford, one of 11 goals in all competitions, but picked up an Achilles injury which affected his pre-season.

Under Luzon, Vetokele has started just once this season, at home to Rotherham, but has made another four appearances off the bench. He also scored in the Addicks’ 4-1 win at Peterborough United in the Capital One Cup.

Wanderers have been frustrated on two fronts already this week, drawing a complete blank from West Brom as they enquired about Anichebe’s services then watching a deal for Emnes disintegrate at the last possible moment.

News that the loan had collapsed even came as a surprise to Swansea City boss Garry Monk, who admitted after his side’s 1-0 defeat at Hull City: "I only got told as I was walking into the ground.

“I have to speak to the relevant people to understand what's gone on there.”

Wanderers have refused to divulge details of why the move was cancelled but sources close to the player admit he was not keen on a move to the North West.

It was also revealed yesterday that a financial disagreement with one of the player’s representatives had also caused problems during the negotiation.

The 27-year-old striker has not featured for Swansea at all in the Premier League and has made just a solitary appearance in the Capital One Cup.

Lennon is down to just one front man in Gary Madine after losing Emile Heskey for a month with a calf problem and Zach Clough until Christmas with a dislocated shoulder.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/13779544.Wanderers_chase_Charlton_Athletic_striker_as_Brighton_clash_looms/

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

CHARLTON boss Guy Luzon hopes Wanderers target Igor Vetokele decides to stay at The Valley.

Neil Lennon has targeted the Angola international as the man he wants to bolster his attack and is seeking a short-term loan.

But the final decision rests with the 23-year-old striker, who has fallen out of favour at The Valley and made just one start this season after an encouraging debut campaign that saw him score 11 goals.

Speaking after last night’s 4-1 defeat at Crystal Palace the Charlton boss said he was aware of Wanderers’ involvement but did not know whether the move would go through.

“I have heard about the interest,” he told The South London Press. “I don’t know what has happened. I hope he will stay because we don’t have a big squad but we will see.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/13780989.Charlton_hoping_to_cling_on_to_Wanderers_target_Vetokele/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum