Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prince deserved red card against Leeds, says Lennon

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Prince Desire Gouano ended up in Neil Lennon’s bad books after becoming the fourth Wanderers player sent off this season.

The Frenchman was given his marching orders for a professional foul on Leeds United striker Mirco Antenucci with 19 minutes left at the Macron Stadium.

In giving away a penalty he also allowed the Italian to equalise from the spot, and set up a tense finale as the Whites clung on to a point with 10 men.

Lennon had no qualms about the penalty award, or the red card which leaves him a defender down for next weekend’s trip to Deepdale to face Preston North End.

“I’ve no complaints,” he said. “The striker was about to hit it and he (Prince) was clumsy and panicked.

“I think we should deal with the situation and not let Antenucci cut inside – but he shouldn’t have been there in the first place, he shouldn’t have slipped.

“He shouldn’t be getting tangled. It was an individual mistake and the players dug in well for a point.”

There was some suggestion that referee Simon Hooper missed a foul on Prince in the phase of play immediately before the red card.

“I don’t think he needs to get that tight to the striker anyhow,” Lennon reasoned. “The striker has his back to goal. I don’t think he was pushed – he just got away from the striker and slipped.

“It’s just rashness and he did it just after half time as well when Antenucci got in for a shot – so it’s a rash decision and it definitely had an adverse effect on the game.”

Lennon believes his side were on track for only their second victory of the season before Prince’s error let Leeds back into the game.

“To concede the way we did, it just knocks the wind out of you,” he said. “There was no real danger from Leeds but we shot ourselves in the foot.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum