Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which players has Lennon missed out on due to finances?

+6
wanderlust
Norpig
doffcocker
karlypants
Boggersbelief
Bolton Nuts
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I am aware that there are a few players who we have had in for talks and found the deals cancelled at the last minute or they have gone somewhere else for more money.

Who would we have had if Lennon had got a few of the men he wanted?

We were even linked with Gomis at one point were we not? Who are the others and would we have been better?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bafetimbi Gomis? Are you cracking up?

The only ones I can think of are Craig Morgan, Van La Parra and Texiera

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

ALF as well?

Sorry Norpig Very Happy

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Boggersbelief wrote:Bafetimbi Gomis? Are you cracking up?

The only ones I can think of are Craig Morgan, Van La Parra and Texiera

I meant Emnes from Swansea.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Gomis was in January.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Boltons 10 million Gomis bid rejected in 2008 when Megson tried to sign him.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Probably not as many as Freedman but that would have more to do with the fact that we still had promotion ambitions then, whereas now it's just a case of targeting players we wouldn't have to enter (and lose) a bidding war for.

I think we've reached a stage where we can't compete with the majority of the division for players, such that we seem to spend most time chasing past-its in their late 30s.

In contrast, we signed Baptiste a few years ago who apparently a lot of big Championship clubs also wanted. Shows how quickly we've gone from being one of the big players in the division to absolute fodder, and how important it is to spend the parachute money well.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:ALF as well?

Sorry Norpig Very Happy
 please stop saying his name, i can't cope  Sad

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:

Sorry Norpig Very Happy

He isn't even that good

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
Norpig wrote:

Sorry Norpig Very Happy

He isn't even that good
 he's better than the tripe we have at the moment i can guarantee that Boggers

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agreed, still doesn't say much about him though

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Agreed, still doesn't say much about him though
 did you not rate him last season then Boggers? I thought he did really well

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

His all round play never really stood out, even at this level, fair enough he scored a few goals but most players up their game during a loan. As Jutkiewicz proved, they can't really do it on a consistent basis.

His all round play was far better than I'd expected. He had a reputation as a lazy poacher but the running he put in to close down the ball from the front impressed me a lot. Obviously ALF's no world beater but had we signed him we'd be mid table IMO.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:His all round play was far better than I'd expected. He had a reputation as a lazy poacher but the running he put in to close down the ball from the front impressed me a lot. Obviously ALF's no world beater but had we signed him we'd be mid table IMO.

:agree:

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:His all round play was far better than I'd expected. He had a reputation as a lazy poacher but the running he put in to close down the ball from the front impressed me a lot. Obviously ALF's no world beater but had we signed him we'd be mid table IMO.

:agree:

He'd do nothing to solve our problems at the back and in midfield where a catalogue of individual errors has cost us goals, games and points and nowhere near enough clear cut chances are created for our forwards.

It's true he has an eye for goal but he is past his best even though he's 28, can't get into the Cardiff team, is second string (along with Grant Holt) at Wolves behind our own Benik Afobe and is expensive. 

And if the premise of the thread is who Lennon could have bought if the money was available, I'd have preferred Ronaldo or Messi.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lusty the biggest problem we have is the lack of goals and ALF would have addressed that a lot better than the likes of Madine, Heskey and Ameobi. Bit harsh to say he is past his best and as for being stuck behind Afobe, he has been attracting a lot of attention from Premiership clubs and will be gone before long.

His goals last season were crucial and i know i bang on about him a lot but we would be doing better if we had him up front now

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To say the problem is a "lack of goals" is an oversimplification Norpig - might as well say the problem is a "lack of wins" or a "lack of points" (or lack of money if you want to complete the circle!)

Buy a striker and we'd still be struggling if we continue to give away stupid goals and fail to create clearcut opportunities. It would lead to exciting games but if survival is the objective we'd be better off sorting out the midfield so that at least we don't lose.

Biggest disappointment for me this season are the likes of Spearing and Mavies who you'd expect to be at least competitive in this division but they've been poor - and need replacing. I'd sell 'em along with Medo and Trotter and spend any money available on trying to build a decent midfield from where we can control games.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Although it is an over simplification, I think Norpig has a point. We have drawn 8 games this season and some of the chances that have been missed have been pathetic to say the least. If we had ALF in the team and he had put, say, 4 of those chances away and turned 4 of the draws into wins, that would be an extra 8 points on the board and we'd be in the relative safety of mid table. Of course he might not have scored any goals at all but that would be unlikely imo. You are spot on in what you are saying about the midfield and defence lusty but Norpigs point is a valid one I think.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Biggest problem is lack of pace, quick feet and anticipation all over the pitch. Team of donkeys at present.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:To say the problem is a "lack of goals" is an oversimplification Norpig - might as well say the problem is a "lack of wins" or a "lack of points" (or lack of money if you want to complete the circle!)

Buy a striker and we'd still be struggling if we continue to give away stupid goals and fail to create clearcut opportunities. It would lead to exciting games but if survival is the objective we'd be better off sorting out the midfield so that at least we don't lose.

Biggest disappointment for me this season are the likes of Spearing and Mavies who you'd expect to be at least competitive in this division but they've been poor - and need replacing. I'd sell 'em along with Medo and Trotter and spend any money available on trying to build a decent midfield from where we can control games.
 it may be an oversimplification but you can't win a match without goals and as 58 says he would have converted more chances than the current shower we have masquerading as strikers.

Also i did say it's our biggest problem, one of many, a plodding midfield and a constantly changing back four doesn't help either

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So to summarise the last few posts....

We need a new team and no individual player is a panacea. Is that a fair summary?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum