Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Supporters trust/fans buyout

+10
gloswhite
Chairmanda
Norpig
luckyPeterpiper
finlaymcdanger
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
Bwfc1958
CAMPO
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 08:31

CAMPO

CAMPO
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Been thinking, Eddie Davies would love the supporters of BWFC to own the club
Why let some cockney/Thai asset strippers get hold of it

This is my take, 
We need £15million to get to end of the season
The assets are worth at least £30million
We buy a share of that £30million
One share say £100, if you buy 5 or more, £500 you get a free ticket for next season
Local celebrities, Peter Kay, Amir Khan, Big Sam etc.
may want to put £millions in

All the money goes into a bank account and if we don't reach the amount needed, set by Trevor Birch and Eddie Davies, we get our money back
We could follow the German Bundesliga model

We need a committee, to include a good business brain, Hilary Devey?,
Someone to play Nat's role to head the campaign,
John Mcginley, Kevin Davies?
Ex players could buy shares, local business'
Tweet Mark Iles and get the Bolton News behind us, Bolton Fm, GMR, run the club as a business and re invest the profit.

If everybody does their bit and Eddie Davies goes with it, surely it could work, or am I dreaming?

2Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 08:56

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've mentioned a few times on here about a Supporters Trust, i would love it to happen but can't see it coming off to be honest.

3Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 09:52

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Nice idea but  nordaves right. Highly unlikely.

4Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 11:06

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is a supporters trust currently being publicised. Also head that Phil Brown apparently statement on Talk Sport the SKD and Bergsson are heading up another consortium. Could be a load of nonsense as I've not validated it.

5Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 11:07

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 11:08

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

SKD and Gudni, yes please! People who actually care about the club

7Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 13:25

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Won't happen. It's too late in the day to mount a serious bid from the fans and get it through due dilligence etc before the winding up petition is heard. I'm sorry to say it but unless someone very rich decides to step in with immediate concrete funds there's just no way I can see for us to avoid administration now. A supporter's bid would require several people, possibly hundreds of them to move money into a central account and that would take quite some time to do. With our fan base I can't see enough people putting up enough money to make it a realistic proposition. 

Not only that but fan ownership of the type you are talking about is tricky at best, it requires an awful lot of expertise to run a multi-million pound business like a football club and it requires huge amounts of cooperation when the number of investors gets past about twenty or so. As sluffy said on a few other threads we can't even get agreement to merge some internet forums so how can we honestly expect to get enough mutual trust to make putting our own cash into the club really viable? 

I hate to sound so negative but if a fan based bid was going to have a serious chance it should have been organised months, maybe even years ago. It takes a lot more than most people realise to put together a viable business plan and put the finances in place to carry it out and it needs a lot more time than you might think. This isn't something you can scribble down on the back of an envelope I'm afraid. The way the club is set up and structured is just too complex to go in without several weeks, maybe even months of careful research by people who really know business.

8Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 13:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I'm sorry to say it but unless someone very rich decides to step in with immediate concrete funds there's just no way I can see for us to avoid administration now. 

I believe "someone very rich" has been negotiating to buy the club for several weeks now and remains our best chance to avoid administration.

9Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 13:51

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I certainly hope you're right lusty but if that was the case why hasn't Trevor Birch said anything about it? If a realistic proposition was on the table, even a confidential one (which I would completely understand) he could have shown that privately to HMRC and they almost certainly would have delayed their petition if they believed it was a genuine proposal. 

I will cross my fingers and hope for the best with this but frankly I think we're going to be in admin next week, possibly as early as Monday.

10Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 13:56

Pete, just take a breath and slow down for a second, mate.

How could TB show anything "confidential" to anybody, let alone HMRC?

It's a mess and none of us (Boggers apart apparently) know what's going on behind closed doors.

We've just got to wait and hope.

11Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:00

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:

I will cross my fingers and hope for the best with this but frankly I think we're going to be in admin next week, possibly as early as Monday.

No. We. Aren't

12Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:05

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bread, what I mean by that is if there was a potential buyer who didn't want to be named publicly then Trevor Birch could show the details to HMRC in complete confidence. They wouldn't violate the confidential nature of the bid but if they believed it was a realistic proposal that would see them get their money they would have refrained from serving the petition. They wouldn't have to say a word to explain why they hadn't sought to wind us up, they could simply remain silent. Since they HAVE issued the petition it leads me to believe that there isn't a realistic proposition, public or private in place at this time. I don't claim to be in the know at all but my father is a chartered accountant with more than forty years experience in his own practice and we have been discussing this issue for several days. He's the one who told me that a winding up petition from HMRC is generally their very last resort and not used because of the impact it has on creditor confidence unless they firmly believe they have no other way to recoup their money. 

I really, really hope that someone comes in and prevents it from going further than it already has but I'm sad to say I don't see it happening.

13Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:05

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

No. We. Aren't
Evidence. Put up or shut up.

14Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Bread, what I mean by that is if there was a potential buyer who didn't want to be named publicly then Trevor Birch could show the details to HMRC in complete confidence. They wouldn't violate the confidential nature of the bid but if they believed it was a realistic proposal that would see them get their money they would have refrained from serving the petition. They wouldn't have to say a word to explain why they hadn't sought to wind us up, they could simply remain silent. Since they HAVE issued the petition it leads me to believe that there isn't a realistic proposition, public or private in place at this time. I don't claim to be in the know at all but my father is a chartered accountant with more than forty years experience in his own practice and we have been discussing this issue for several days. He's the one who told me that a winding up petition from HMRC is generally their very last resort and not used because of the impact it has on creditor confidence unless they firmly believe they have no other way to recoup their money. 

I really, really hope that someone comes in and prevents it from going further than it already has but I'm sad to say I don't see it happening.

A negotiation is just a route to a possible solution - not a guaranteed solution and given the history of the relationship between HMRC and other football clubs it's understandable that HMRC acted. 

As Boggers said previously on this matter, negotiations can break down.

15Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:18

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Bread, what I mean by that is if there was a potential buyer who didn't want to be named publicly then Trevor Birch could show the details to HMRC in complete confidence. They wouldn't violate the confidential nature of the bid but if they believed it was a realistic proposal that would see them get their money they would have refrained from serving the petition. They wouldn't have to say a word to explain why they hadn't sought to wind us up, they could simply remain silent. 

I just can't see that scenario playing out at all, Pete.

If companies could avoid HMRC issuing winding-up petitions by simply showing documentation from mystery potential buyers, they'd all be at it and HMRC would never recover any money owed.

"S'alright, guv, we've got this bloke what wants to buy the company and he'll pay you the money when he takes over."

"Oh, right then, " say HMRC, "Just tell him to give us a bell when he's settled in and we'll pop round and see him. No rush."

16Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 14:39

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Texting with my Portsmouth mate this morning...

Me: Wanderers issued with HMRC winding up petition yesterday.

Pompey: That's no big deal. Pompey got that and nothing happened.

Me: How did you end up in League 2?

Pompey: Um... er... ooh look, a badger!

17Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 15:00

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:Bread, what I mean by that is if there was a potential buyer who didn't want to be named publicly then Trevor Birch could show the details to HMRC in complete confidence. They wouldn't violate the confidential nature of the bid but if they believed it was a realistic proposal that would see them get their money they would have refrained from serving the petition. They wouldn't have to say a word to explain why they hadn't sought to wind us up, they could simply remain silent. 

I just can't see that scenario playing out at all, Pete.

If companies could avoid HMRC issuing winding-up petitions by simply showing documentation from mystery potential buyers, they'd all be at it and HMRC would never recover any money owed.

"S'alright, guv, we've got this bloke what wants to buy the company and he'll pay you the money when he takes over."

"Oh, right then, " say HMRC, "Just tell him to give us a bell when he's settled in and we'll pop round and see him. No rush."
I'm sorry you misunderstood my post. It wasn't clear enough which is my bad. Trevor could show the HMRC all the details including the names and available resources of any bidder without violating the bidder's confidentiality. If the HMRC agreed that it was a viable bid and likely to be completed in a reasonable time frame they would then simply do nothing at all. They would make no statement and of course issue no petitions. They are well aware that when they do issue a petition it often stampedes other creditors into acting and makes matters for the troubled company even worse at the worst possible time. As a result they try to avoid issuing a wind up petition until and unless they feel there is no other choice. Obviously while the club is being bought/taken over etc HMRC would monitor the whole situation very closely as debt to them would continue to accrue but as long as they were confident they were going to be paid in timely fashion they wouldn't act overtly. In this case what especially worries me is that the debt to the tax office is relatively small at 600K but they must believe that they aren't going to get that or the further tax debts that will accrue while this business is going on in an acceptable time frame so they are acting now in a bid to prevent that debt growing to a totally unmanageable point.

18Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 15:10

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Won't happen. It's too late in the day to mount a serious bid from the fans and get it through due dilligence etc before the winding up petition is heard. I'm sorry to say it but unless someone very rich decides to step in with immediate concrete funds there's just no way I can see for us to avoid administration now. A supporter's bid would require several people, possibly hundreds of them to move money into a central account and that would take quite some time to do. With our fan base I can't see enough people putting up enough money to make it a realistic proposition. 

Not only that but fan ownership of the type you are talking about is tricky at best, it requires an awful lot of expertise to run a multi-million pound business like a football club and it requires huge amounts of cooperation when the number of investors gets past about twenty or so. As sluffy said on a few other threads we can't even get agreement to merge some internet forums so how can we honestly expect to get enough mutual trust to make putting our own cash into the club really viable? 

I hate to sound so negative but if a fan based bid was going to have a serious chance it should have been organised months, maybe even years ago. It takes a lot more than most people realise to put together a viable business plan and put the finances in place to carry it out and it needs a lot more time than you might think. This isn't something you can scribble down on the back of an envelope I'm afraid. The way the club is set up and structured is just too complex to go in without several weeks, maybe even months of careful research by people who really know business.
:agree:

19Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 15:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

come on Manda we have you down as Chairperson, we're relying on you  Very Happy

20Supporters trust/fans buyout Empty Re: Supporters trust/fans buyout Fri Dec 11 2015, 15:20

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:come on Manda we have you down as Chairperson, we're relying on you  Very Happy
thanks pigster, but LPP is right, waaaaay too late to start this now. Dependent on who takes over/if we have a club it might be worth starting this lengthy process with a view of fan ownership in a couple of years, if in admin, there would need to be an interim solution before fan ownership can get together what is needed, if in fact its possible at all given Bolton's unique set of circs (local competition with club saturation, stadium optimised for big gates, standard of footballer affordable not at same level etc etc). It would be simpler to start from scratch at the bottom and work up, or even don't, stay at an affordable level and enjoy football with less skill but more soul.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum