Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton are in a sad state and the Football League has blood on its hands...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers' disastrous and perilous financial situation has provoked sympathy and fear in equal measure. I have the utmost sympathy for the fans of this club: they don't deserve this.

I have no sympathy with the people who have run the club over the years, and I am disgusted that the Football League's hands-off approach to debt management at clubs has led directly to this crisis.

In December 2013 Bolton announced debts of almost £164million. The club issued a statement at the time that basically said everything is fine and that Eddie Davies, the main benefactor, would make sure the club is OK. What a worrying way to run a football club.

And so it proved: two years on and Bolton have a tax bill of £600,000 which has been left unpaid, and a winding-up order has subsequently been served.

Salaries have gone unpaid, and some staff may not be given their wages over Christmas. Even the players have not been given any guarantees.

Davies wants out and the fans seem torn between the good times he funded, and the bad times he's walking away from now.

But why didn't the alarm bells ring at Football League HQ when the news came through two years ago that Bolton's debt had risen beyond belief from a manageable, but worrying, £38m in 2002, to more than four times that? And if the alarm bells did ring, why didn't anybody do anything about it?

Right now I declare a personal interest: Bolton beat my club Peterborough United back in February 2013. I remember the game clearly, it was at that moment I knew Posh would be relegated.

We lost 1-0 to a goal scored by Craig Dawson, who scored for West Brom at Liverpool this weekend. Peterborough – a very well run club, with minimal, manageable debts - had tried to sign Dawson on loan, but he ended up going to Bolton.

Most chairmen will tell you that clubs secure players in those situations with extra financial incentives either for the player or the parent club. Posh couldn't compete for the player, simply because they ran themselves properly. Bolton were only good at running up debt.

In the midst of all their shocking finances how could Bolton afford to take on the wages of a player on loan from the Premier League? At the same time, they spent £300,000 on a striker, Craig Davies.

How could the Football League let these deals go ahead knowing the ridiculous amount of debt Bolton were building up?

Dawson's goal (Davies missed a chance late on as well in that game) helped send Posh down. One more point and we would have survived.

The relegation cost the club millions, set the development back considerably, led to the manager losing his way, players having to be sold, and crowds naturally dwindling.

The chairman, Darragh MacAnthony, became disillusioned and considered selling up this summer. Thankfully he has rediscovered his appetite, and is back making noises, generously giving the full force of his indefatigable personality to the game of football.

But the whole situation from back then still smells rotten: a club that cut its cloth accordingly suffered, another that just won games by amassing even more debt, merely put off its crisis temporarily.

My message to Bolton fans is to stay strong, and keep hoping. With or without points deducted, the club may well end up relegated, but League One is not the end of the world. Life goes on.

The Football League need to sort themselves out though: they pay lip service to any kind of governance or care for football clubs. It's an insult to fans.

To allow a club to keep spending and spending with debts rising to astronomical proportions is a disgrace. Owners and executives deciding to spend even more merely postpones the inevitable. In the meantime, collateral damage is caused, and others suffer.

Bolton's wounds are well and truly opening and haemorrhaging. The Football League has blood on its hands.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is a strong undertone of "Bolton's stay in the premiership and Europe were bought with money they didn't have or didn't deserve" i.e. everything we've done and been was worthless.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There's definitely a sense of bitterness in this article. I find it hard to credit from a Peterborough fan given the Barry Fry fiasco a few years back. You can't seriously claim that club was well run then or that it wasn't all a three ring circus. No offence here Mr Durham but your protest that your club is well-run and cuts its cloth to suit rings a little hollow given just how close you came to extinction yourselves and just how dodgy some of the dealings around it proved to be.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The problem is with the vast majority of all football clubs is that the group with long term ties and loyalty to the club are not represented in any meaningful way. The best service the football league could do to the professional game is to ensure that supporters have a voice at board level and that they have some clout, the obvious way is through a supporters trust or similar organisation where by anyone with a season ticket say is given membership automatically, at most clubs this a majority of their paying customers.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Old saying. Shouting the loudest doesn't necessarily make you right. That Durham bloke, like his namesake, is speaking Bull.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum