Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lPp's Match Report

+3
observer
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21lPp's Match Report - Page 2 Empty Re: lPp's Match Report Tue Dec 29 2015, 16:07

I dont know why kp interfered

22lPp's Match Report - Page 2 Empty Re: lPp's Match Report Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:08

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
wessy wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wessy wrote:
Clough again shows signs of real potential hits a post but knocked off the ball a little to easily at times.
That's a common and to some degree justifiable complaint. In response I believe he just needs some time and perhaps a slightly different training regimen/diet in order to add some bulk and muscle to the already burgeoning talent. Not everyone is built like Wayne Rooney at 16, in fact most men don't achieve full muscle mass etc until their mid 20's according to the BMA website. (Yes I looked, engaging my not so hidden geek once more Smile )

A bit of time, some strengthening exercises, a few steaks and some experience on the pitch will all benefit him and hopefully us in the long run.
Totally agree the kid could be special, when he first came through he seemed to be able to handle the physical part of the game for such a small kid, then the two shoulder injuries make you worry. One thing you cannot deny, is he is a real talent.
I'm still not totally convinced about Clough. At his age - 20 pushing 21  - he should be stronger and he's had years to prepare having played against bigger and quicker defenders all his life. He hasn't got lightning pace and his close control is decent but not top class. His decision-making is also questionable at times. Put all this together and you can see why he isn't even competing for an England place compared to many of his counterparts at other clubs like Jordon Ibe or Demarai Gray or Raheem Sterling.
No doubt he is a talent but he has a way to go and needs to step up another level if he is to fulfil his potential.

But for now he continues to show touches of class but more often than not he is dealt with easily. I'm cautiously optimistic.
His chances at an international cap are zero or close to it while he plays in the championship mate. Sterling wouldn't get a look in if he was at say Preston North End. The sad fact is that talent is often less important to the England manager than where someone plays (ie which club he's at) as was amply demonstrated by both Michael Ricketts and Kevin Davies. 

Even Cahill struggled to break through before he went to Chelsea. 

With all that said I understand your reservations and to some extent I agree with them. However I think too much is now expected of players far too early in part because of the way Rooney burst onto the scene alng with the likes of Owen and Beckham before him. Such players are the exception not the norm and I feel we need to stop expecting kids of 19,20 and 21 to be the finished article because very, very few of them have the complete package when they're that young. 

Cautiously optimistic is pretty much a perfect summation of how I view Clough and how I think he SHOULD be viewed, he's not there yet but the signs are bright and while he may never be a Ronaldo or Messi I do think he could become a very fine striker.
Sheff Wed, Bury, Birmingham, Brighton, Wolves and Preston all have players in the current England U21 squad. Brentford, Boro and Hull also have U21 loanees from Prem clubs.

But isn't your argument based on the fact that top Premiership clubs get the best kids anyway?

I know it helps if you're playing for a prem club but it's pretty obvious that at U21 level if you're good enough it doesn't matter which club you play for. (I think that's different at senior level as they place more emphasis on the standard of opposition)

Clough could become a decent Prem quality striker - but so could loads of other prospects at various stages of development - including our own Samazideh - and only time will tell which ones make it.

I just think his current performances aren't quite right yet (generally good but not brilliant) and I think that some of the people who are raving about him are very forgiving about his mistakes (because of his age and size) compared to those made by older players whereas in reality he should be compared objectively pass for pass, tackle for tackle. 

That's why I think Holding actually played better than Clough yesterday if you look at it objectively. It would be interesting to see the stats for pass completion, tackles, ground covered, chances created etc to see if that argument stands up as I suspect it does.
I misunderstood you thanks to the reference to Sterling. I thought you were talking about the full international side not the U-21's. As it happens I think Clough deserves to be in that setup because Sterling and a couple of the other kids you mentioned are close to if not ready for the step up Senior level. Holding had a good game yesterday. I take nothing away from him at all but I think you're being a bit overly critical of Clough. I feel he's not the sort of old fashioned centre forward who will ever muscle defenders off the ball or leap like a salmon to win every header. He's not Kevin Davies, he's more about clever touches and being in the right place at the right moment to poach goals. His positional play was excellent yesterday and while he scuffed his best chance into the side netting I wouldn't hold that against him too much because no one ever has an absolutely perfect error free game.
Clough ain't played a full season, until he does he can't be considered for U21's or anywhere else. Needs game time. Only just got back from injury - give it a chance.

23lPp's Match Report - Page 2 Empty Re: lPp's Match Report Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Lpp to lusty

You're a dick

Lusty to lpp

No, you're  a dick

Lpp to lusty

Least i have a dick

Lusty to lpp

Yeah, on your head

Lpp to lusty

Better than it being stuck up a sheep

Lusty to lpp

You win

Kp to both

I love dick

*this may not actually be what was said, i didnt read it either

Johnny to LPP:

Switch back to the other account before they notice....Smile

Lusty to Breadman:

We're not arguing. We are comparing cocks different perspectives. Mines bigger BTW.

24lPp's Match Report - Page 2 Empty Re: lPp's Match Report Tue Dec 29 2015, 17:29

Lusty to johnny

Not as big as yours though Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum