Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Internet forums like this

+6
gloswhite
Soul Kitchen
Norpig
xmiles
Sluffy
Michael Bolton
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Internet forums like this Empty Internet forums like this Mon Jan 18 2016, 23:49

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I am not having a pop at anyone and I like people like Sluffy and Nat who put a lot of time and effort into this place but haven't people kind of lost the plot?
I mean sure we like to discuss Bolton Wanderers - the club that you support but hardly any of the posts are about Bolton, it's about every day life, fishing, David Bowie, what you've had for tea.
But isn't it a terrible waste of time? Life is short, the years roll by ridiculously quickly, don't you think it's a crime to spend so many hours of your precious spare time on Internet forums, writing to people you don't know and unlikely to ever meet?
I really am not having a pop with this message, I used to post a lot for a number of year's but my life has changed a lot and my outlook on life is very different.

What do others think about spending hours writing on forums? Do you feel it's a waste of time?

2Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 01:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes, you are right really, it is all a big waste but if we didn't do this we would almost certainly waste the time doing something else equally as meaningless.

Forums are escapism, simply something to while away the time rather than do something less pleasant instead.

I really started to get involved on forums rather than watch all the soaps and X Factor / Britain's got Talent /  Strictly / Dancing on Ice, Bake Off, Can't Cook, Wont Cook, etc, etc, etc, that my wife and daughter used to seemingly watch nonstop!

I know that others post on here instead of getting on with their work, or because they are bored at home and want a laugh.

People spend their life playing Football Manager or Candy Crush, or twitter from morn till night, or many other countless ways to pass time by.

At least I get something back from a forum for my time, people post stuff that makes me laugh or post news of the club I follow.  OK hardly using my mind and body to its full potential but still better I think than watching mind numbing chewing gum for the eyes on TV or pressing random sequences of keys, levers and knobs to win a pretend football trophy (that half of the world have also won also - actually how difficult is it not to win if everybody else who plays, wins them too?).

Forums are a waste of time really but for me it is probably my most favourite of all ways to waste my time upon.

And there's still plenty of time to do the serious, responsible, hard working stuff that we need (and are required) to do for the bulk of our lifes.

3Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 08:35

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:Yes, you are right really, it is all a big waste but if we didn't do this we would almost certainly waste the time doing something else equally as meaningless.

Exactly. It's a question of balance. Personally I can't see the point of posting as frequently as some but I have no problem with them doing so.

And the reason there is so much non-Bolton content is because it's so bloody depressing talking about football at the moment.

4Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 08:44

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When i first joined on here i was an occasional poster but now spend a lot of time on here (too much time according to Mrs Pig). I live in Manchester now so don't get the chance to moan about BWFC with like minded people so this site is essential for my mental wellbeing  Very Happy

I personally like the mix of Bolton and non football content, it would die a death if this was just solely about football and i would have missed out on some great laughs over the last few years

It's part of my daily routine coming on here now and i can't see it changing, it doesn't interfere with my life (i spend too much time at work on here but don't tell anyone) and with my family so it's all good for me.

5Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 08:52

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

That's why there's a section called Wandering Minds, to chat about non related football stuff like Bolton Wanderers!

6Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 12:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I see your point MB, but I've found the forum a great time waster, a damned good laugh, and good source of info. Like others, I wander off for a while, for whatever reason, but I always return, (which I believe you are doing at this very moment Very Happy ), because, quite simply, there's always something to see, or check up on. Life in miniature. I feel the only way it could get better was if we all met, or at least knew what each other looked like, but we know that's not going to happen.

7Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 12:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I look like this.
Internet forums like this OOTD%252B-%252BRemember%252BMe%252BOutake%252B02

8Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 12:48

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy does raise a good point, you could say playing video games, watching tv, watching films, watching football even as a waste of time because a few months on you completely have forgotten about it. We can't be pro-active with our time always and it would be boring to always be doing something constructive. 
But for example when you look back on your childhood, you remember the times where you were excited and did things you enjoyed - holidays, parties, good times with friends, playing sports or video games with friends, being in a club, watching world cups, funny moments, even TV programmes you loved - they bring back good memories. It is the same as we get older, special days and fun times stay with us, happy memories and feel fulfilled. 
When I think back to all of the time I spent on Bolton forums what do I have to show for it? Nothing, no memories, nothing to look back on.  
I was talking to my Gran recently and she is in her 80s and she said to me "I'd love to be your age again, if I was your age now I would just be so happy and excited and I would just live life to the full and aim to fulfill all of my dreams". I think sometimes people don't realise it until it's too late, you can't waste precious time behind a computer typing a load of nonsense to people who you'll never meet, what is the point? 

Anyway, I'll be back in a few months time to see how you're all doing  Very Happy

9Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 12:55

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thanks a bunch.
I'm off to the woods to die quietly. Shocked

10Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 12:57

Michael Bolton wrote:you can't waste precious time behind a computer typing a load of nonsense to people who you'll never meet, what is the point? 

Speak for yourself, some of us have made friends for life. Soul Kitchen has invited me to his last two birthday parties.

:birthday:

11Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 17:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:What do others think about spending hours writing on forums? Do you feel it's a waste of time?

I see it as a public duty, people hang on my every word.

I suspect Breadman, 1874 and Boggers can't get through the day without my pearls of wisdom.

12Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:17

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I suspect Breadman, 1874 and Boggers can't get through the day without my pearls of wisdom.

There is an element of truth in this.

When you're not acting like a spoilt kid and spitting your dummy out, you can actually be quite funny.

13Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

When you're not acting like a spoilt kid and spitting your dummy out, you can actually be quite funny.

Right back at you.

14Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:20

Great being us, innit?

15Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:43

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Breadman wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

There is an element of truth in this.

Shocked :sick:

Where the fuck is Breadman and what have you done with him? 

Someone get onto sluffy and let him know breads account has been hacked.

16Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm appalled. I intend to call an emergency meeting of the Bumchum executive.

17Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:50

After a near meltdown in Tesco over the Easter Egg thing, Mrs B had a quiet word and told me that I seem to be being a bit angry at the moment and I need to "calm the fuck down" and "cheer the fuck up".

So I'm having a go at being nice to everybody for a bit.

(Apart from Tesco.)

18Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:52

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Internet forums like this Tumblr_mrjuw7wuFV1syospho1_r6_500

19Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:56

Aw....what a lovely Panda. 

Got any more? I'd love to see 'em, if you have.

20Internet forums like this Empty Re: Internet forums like this Tue Jan 19 2016, 18:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Scary. Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum