Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon praises Shola Ameobi for 'play for free' offer

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Heard the one about the club who can’t afford to sign a free transfer?

That wisecrack, and many more barbs have been aimed at Bolton Wanderers of late, and it is definitely no laughing matter for manager Neil Lennon.

He will head into tomorrow’s FA Cup fourth-round tie with Leeds United without Shola Ameobi, who was told this week that despite offering to continue playing at the Macron for nothing, the terms of the club’s transfer embargo made it impossible.

Lennon is well aware how futile his situation has become. With Zach Clough unlikely to start because of a hip problem and old stager Emile Heskey unavailable until Tuesday’s game at Wolves because of a calf strain, he will again ask Gary Madine to play through the pain as his only recognised senior striker.

Having to turn down Ameobi’s generosity was the latest blow for the Whites boss in what is rapidly becoming a farcical situation.

“I just hope he doesn’t come to bite us in the backside and score for someone else later in the season,” he smirked.

“It was a disappointment to hear Shola would be leaving. It’s the embargo, so our hands are tied completely.

“He finished with a flourish and he will be a massive miss because he was superb around the dressing room and this isn’t a squad that can afford to lose players. It is not as big as it should be, and we’ve lost experience there too.

“It’s a great gesture to offer to play for free, and to be honest it typifies the kind of guy he is. I am sure there will be a bit of interest in him.

“In terms of what he brought to the club he was very, very good. He was vocal in the dressing room.”

Despite the takeover situation taking a twist overnight on Wednesday and Thursday, Lennon has received no indication from the boardroom he should start preparing for the worst.

“I’ve had nothing this week, it’s been quiet,” he said. “With the validation coming through and wages being paid this week, I’m happy enough with that.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum