Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Get it in the corner

+3
Candle Coal
luckyPeterpiper
doffcocker
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Get it in the corner Empty Get it in the corner Sat Feb 20 2016, 19:08

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Let's forget for a minute that Amos is the worst Wanderers keeper for many years, and would probably make you nervous in a Moss Bank Juniors side.

Let's look at the moments leading up to the equaliser. You know what it's like when you're defending a goal in stoppage time.

"Take it to the corner flag" everybody says. But if you get the chance, just look at the ease at which QPR get the ball off us from there, and turn it suddenly into a great attacking opportunity.

I've wondered a number of times to myself, what is it about getting it in the far corner that's so strategically fine when it comes to defending a goal late on. Well, I do get it, but clearly you have to know what you're doing with it once you get it there.

The attitude of Madine and two or three other players in the 90 something minute seemed to be "well we've got it in the corner now, so basically they're fucked", and less than a minute later we've thrown two points away.

That pisses me off far more than the keeper cocking up for perhaps the 30th time this season.

2Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 12:41

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree and think trying to sit on a one goal lead at home is always dangerous anyway. With that said I would have been satisfied if someone had told me on Friday that we were definitely going to get a point yesterday and other results would be helpful. 

As to Amos, he mystifies me. He's got real talent but long range shots seem to magically evade him. Perhaps he's short-sighted and doesn't see the ball if it's more than ten feet away? Get him to spec savers or Optimax, that might help.

3Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 13:26

Candle Coal

Candle Coal
David Ngog
David Ngog

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I agree and think trying to sit on a one goal lead at home is always dangerous anyway. With that said I would have been satisfied if someone had told me on Friday that we were definitely going to get a point yesterday and other results would be helpful. 

As to Amos, he mystifies me. He's got real talent but long range shots seem to magically evade him. Perhaps he's short-sighted and doesn't see the ball if it's more than ten feet away? Get him to spec savers or Optimax, that might help.

I'm a bit worried that the other teams have cottoned on to Amos' blind spot and are going to capitalise between now and the end of the season. I can't imagine it's some weakness he has always had or he wouldn't have got to the level he is. That said, the one that sneaked under him yesterday was more of a messy bobble shot not the high long punt that usually eludes him.

4Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 13:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I see Jussi played a blinder yesterday.

5Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 13:41

Candle Coal

Candle Coal
David Ngog
David Ngog

boltonbonce wrote:I see Jussi played a blinder yesterday.

We played a blinder too, Amos.

6Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 13:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very Happy

7Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 19:07

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Candle Coal wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:I agree and think trying to sit on a one goal lead at home is always dangerous anyway. With that said I would have been satisfied if someone had told me on Friday that we were definitely going to get a point yesterday and other results would be helpful. 

I'm a bit worried that the other teams have cottoned on to Amos' blind spot and are going to capitalise between now and the end of the season. I can't imagine it's some weakness he has always had or he wouldn't have got to the level he is. That said, the one that sneaked under him yesterday was more of a messy bobble shot not the high long punt that usually eludes him.

There's a whole variety of shots he has struggled with, and it's not like he makes up for it with many "against the odds" saves.

The trouble is, the circumstances of this particular balls up mean everybody will suddenly sit up and take notice of him and get right on his back which won't be good for his confidence. Obviously some of us picked up on it ages ago, but I hate saying I told you so.

The question is, is he a shit keeper or a good keeper having a shit season? He's still pretty young for a keeper after all.

8Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 19:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Obviously some of us picked up on it ages ago, but I hate saying I told you so.

What you mean is you called him shit after every game, and finally after 30-odd games he has a shit match and you can feel justified.

Gobshite.

9Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 20:00

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:Obviously some of us picked up on it ages ago, but I hate saying I told you so.

What you mean is you called him shit after every game, and finally after 30-odd games he has a shit match and you can feel justified.

Gobshite.

If you think this is his first shit game of the season you clearly need to spend more time watching the match and less time messing around in your box.

I don't like to keep going on about it as though I'm somehow pleased that he has proved once and for all that I was right and you're a know-nowt, I just think you should be honest about it.

10Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 22:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't blame Amos for the goal. Shouldn't have been allowed to get the shot off in the first place. Get honest.

11Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 22:05

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Can't blame Amos for the goal. Shouldn't have been allowed to get the shot off in the first place. Get honest.
There are 4 or 5 players to blame... and Amos is but one of them!

12Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 22:48

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Can't blame Amos for the goal. Shouldn't have been allowed to get the shot off in the first place. Get honest.

You're the only person who seems to think Amos is blameless here, although I admit it's easier to be objective and not play the blame game when you haven't paid £20 and stood freezing your bollocks off in front of it.

Clearly it's just another savable shot that Amos has once again failed to save. How the shot came about is a separate matter that I think has been addressed here and in other threads also. It's just that people are now coming round to the fact that it's happening time and time again with Amos and we're basically paying him to do very little. The same can be said for most of the team but they'll have (had) their own threads.

13Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 22:54

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

doffcocker wrote:

You're the only person who seems to think Amos is blameless here, although I admit it's easier to be objective and not play the blame game when you haven't paid £20 and stood freezing your bollocks off in front of it.

Clearly it's just another savable shot that Amos has once again failed to save. How the shot came about is a separate matter that I think has been addressed here and in other threads also. It's just that people are now coming round to the fact that it's happening time and time again with Amos and we're basically paying him to do very little. The same can be said for most of the team but they'll have (had) their own threads.
Sorry, but this is unfortunately a club with a goalie who has a propensity to make mistakes. We had two of the top a few years back, and then another crop of two who were okay, and now we are porous in net (to say the least).  That was savable, but as others pointed out, he should have been stopped much earlier from getting that shot off.  It was as if players went into zombie land and we watched in horror.  Amos woke up from his dream to find the  ball in the net, and we will probably be relegated by those two points.

14Get it in the corner Empty Re: Get it in the corner Sun Feb 21 2016, 23:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The shot may have been saveable but surely the entire team should have been preventing a shot on target when we were leading with seconds to go? It should never have been allowed to happen so you can't just blame Amos. They were all counting their chickens.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum